Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Unlikely collaboration...

Dr. LS still got it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/24/a...gtype=Homepage

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, D,
    When I lived in Miami, Lonnie played around the city on a regular basis. Love his playing but Iggy is abominable. However, Lonnie always had some bizarre collaborations.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

‘Abominable’

Basically when ever I read one of Marinero’s comments now I hear it in the voice of Moira from Schitt’s Creek

User Info Menu

Admittedly Iggy's an acquired taste.

Other than Kurt Elling, who might have been a good choice for this, who else is singing jazz in a basso profundo?

I bore myself to sleep at night
    I bore myself in broad daylight
    'Cause I'm bored
    Just another slimy bore
    I'm free to bore my well-bought friends
    And spend my cash until the end
    'Cause I'm bored
    I'm bored
    I'm the chairman of the board.

User Info Menu

Iggy does a slick version of the Jobim classic 'How Insensitive'.

User Info Menu

Sunshine Superman
    I liked that. Apparently it's just a one-off album track. They could probably do more. Kreisberg was suitably restrained.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, D,
    but Iggy is abominable.
    Not a fan of the popster, but you must admit at least he's better than Miley Cyrus!

User Info Menu

thanks .... that was great !

I’m absolutely digging Kreisberg’s playing
    at the moment , great soul jazz vibe on that one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I liked that. Apparently it's just a one-off album track. They could probably do more. Kreisberg was suitably restrained.
    Actually it's a 2-off. He also contributed to Why can't we live together for that album.

User Info Menu

Love the vibe.
    As for Iggy, I've heard him do much worse! ;o)
    Was never a fan of this song but this is a good groove.

User Info Menu

More Iggy...with Elvis Costello. He’s getting around these days...elder statesman of punk.

User Info Menu

My favorite Iggys:

User Info Menu

Finally something from Kreisberg that I liked! Dr. Lonnie is killing it, and Iggy fits right in. Iggy is rather fearless artist, not afraid of anything. Some tunes and albums of his I really love. As soundtracks for different kind of life situations, it helped me many times.

User Info Menu

Iggy Pop's been going through a real purple patch in the last decade, turning up in all sorts of settings and taking chances.

His 2016 album 'Post Pop Depression' is one of my favourite rock albums of recent years. Produced by Josh Homme of QOTSA.

User Info Menu

big fan of iggy, but don't think he's that strong on the op track^....he started in detroit/ann arbor scene where free jazz had some weight...john sinclair was jazz fan...sun ra, phil ranelin etc...so he's familiar with the territory

for an idiot he's pretty clever...used to see him lots when he was living in downtown nyc..always a beautiful woman with him

cheers

User Info Menu

Listened to the whole album today. It's really quite good.

Kreisberg lays back for the most part, but when he steps up he knocks it out of the park.

One of the standout cuts:

User Info Menu

"Iggy Pop's been going through a real purple patch in the last decade, turning up in all sorts of settings and taking chances."
    David B

D, that's not a bad tactic for Iggy when he has no voice, no talent and is a pathetic marionette who dances to the minds and souls of the brainless world. What's this fool even doing on a Jazz Forum? Oh, yea, because he recorded with Lonnie. So, using that analogy, I guess when Pavarotti sang with James Brown he was Funky? No, he was a sad buffoon craving attention. I suppose for some here . . . Iggy is making an artistic statement. Much like the gold toilet in the Met that some people used for relief . . . . Wow, I can't belief what I'm reading in this post.
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. Are you the same David B in the Pasquale Grasso thread?????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "Iggy Pop's been going through a real purple patch in the last decade, turning up in all sorts of settings and taking chances."
    David B

D, that's not a bad tactic for Iggy when he has no voice, no talent and is a pathetic marionette who dances to the minds and souls of the brainless world. What's this fool even doing on a Jazz Forum? Oh, yea, because he recorded with Lonnie. So, using that analogy, I guess when Pavarotti sang with James Brown he was Funky? No, he was a sad buffoon craving attention. I suppose for some here . . . Iggy is making an artistic statement. Much like the gold toilet in the Met that some people used for relief . . . . Wow, I can't belief what I'm reading in this post.
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. Are you the same David B in the Pasquale Grasso thread?????

David B’s a longtime friend of the Igster...

BTW I will have to remember your phrase “no voice, no talent and...a pathetic marionette who dances to the minds and souls of the brainless world.” That’s a keeper. Might have to use this on someone sometime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Iggy Pop's been going through a real purple patch in the last decade, turning up in all sorts of settings and taking chances.

His 2016 album 'Post Pop Depression' is one of my favourite rock albums of recent years. Produced by Josh Homme of QOTSA.
    I listen to his show on Radio 6 quite a bit. Always interesting choices. Seems a big fan of John Luther Adams which is cool.

User Info Menu

m- poor form to call out a longtime and valued member of the forum over his personal likes or dislikes...

you're doing your equivalent of something you recently railed against -hate iggy or gtfo!!

not nice...you can state your point (again) without calling someone out

this forum is all about the exchange of ideas..no one should ever feel pressured to not post their musical opinions here

cheers

User Info Menu

Ah, he’s just looking for attention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    m- poor form to call out a longtime and valued member of the forum over his personal likes or dislikes...

you're doing your equivalent of something you recently railed against -hate iggy or gtfo!!

not nice...you can state your point (again) without calling someone out

this forum is all about the exchange of ideas..no one should ever feel pressured to not post their musical opinions here

cheers
    Hi, N,
    Not a personal attack of DJ ,at all, but rather why this buffoon(Iggy) deserves any attention on a serious music forum. This is a Jazz Forum and I see no connection between Iggy and Jazz other than Lonnie was looking for a few extra bucks and perhaps some additional exposure by this collaboration. I've spoken with Lonnie many times over the years in Miami and Chicago and he's a serious guy and a real Jazzer. I've followed his career since the late 60's and although he's been involved in many unusual collaborations, he a straight ahead Jazzer. So, when you say "this forum is all about the exchange of ideas..no one should ever feel pressured to not post their musical opinions here . . ." am I the only member who is not allowed this courtesy? Are my views not valid? Should I bite my tongue when this certified carnival barker(Iggy) is to be considered seriously because of his collaboration with Lonnie? And, can you quote where I said to any member: "GTFO? or any other cutesy, Y2K expressions --the hipster acronyms used by several language-challenged members in this Forum? " This is patently false. So, if I have offended DJ, I apologize since it was not my intent but I think questioning the validity of Iggy on a Jazz Forum is a valid concern especially if he is purported to be taken in a serious light.
    Finally, the face of contemporary Jazz players ,today, is very different from the 60's-80's since many previous "Rockers" transitioned into Jazz whereas its roots, in the past, were from R@B/Funk/Soul. And, their music reflects this Rock influence beginning with players like McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Spyro Gyra, Abercrombie, Beck, etc. And, many of the players today who have their roots in this music, IMO, do nothing for me musically or emotionally. That's my taste. However, it's a long stretch to Iggy.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Tl;dr

User Info Menu

I didn’t read it. My ignore list recently gained a new member.

User Info Menu

cool, just noticed that ignored posts no longer appear in the ‘what’s new’ feed. So I don’t have to see it there either.