The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    here you go with quebec's blue and sentimental...title track

and here's a quote

"To hear [Grant] comp [i.e., play rhythm guitar] behind a soloist you have to check his sideman dates, like Blue and Sentimental by Ike Quebec..." Sharony Andrews Green (1999) Grant Green: Rediscovering the Forgotten Genius of Jazz Guitar, Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard, p. 224

cheers

Wow, N,
    Thanks for the video. This was really a beautiful, emotive piece!
    Play live . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great thread, and one of my favourite topics. I'm glad to read others appreciate his comping language as much as I do. I'm always listening hard for Grant's comping moves and voicings. I think it's on the Organ dates or later electric piano sessions he comps, rarely on the earlier Piano sessions he was involved in. One pattern that I think is fairly consistent, when he plays in Organ sessions without a sax player, he comps all the way through, when there is a sax player, he often lays out under the sax players chorus's and lets the organ have the comping space, then when the organ player is soloing Grant takes up the comping slack. You can hear him do this on the Don Patterson/Sonny Stitt session and on Larry Young's Into Something (if memory serves). I actually thought for ages he didn't do any comping on Street Of Dreams, but he does on the tune I Wish You Love, under Larry Young's solo. I read in Bob Porter's Soul Jazz book that Porter hired him specifically as a sideman at Prestige in the late 60's early 70's for his comping skills with Organ. It's hard to pick a favourite session for Grant's comping work, but all the sessions with John Patton and Larry Young are great, with Let Em Roll as a favourite.

User Info Menu

Listening to Miss Ann’s Tempo from the album Grant’s First Stand (1961) as I write this.

Grant does some nice comping under Baby Face Willette’s organ solo! Very rhythmic and driving, kind of staccato... love it!

Actually he comps on all the tracks in this album.

User Info Menu

Should change the title of this thread to Grant Green DOES comp, dammit.

User Info Menu

And, how 'bout Larry Young on organ? Monster player! Thanks, Jeff.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    And, how 'bout Larry Young on organ? Monster player! Thanks, Jeff.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Grant's records with Larry are the very definition of hip

User Info Menu

love larry young...advanced player

here's a latin tinged green penned tune - plaza de toros - from larrys lp- into somethin!...larrys first for blue note & cut at van gelders in nov '64...kind of reminds of later chick corea/rtf vibe

great band- sam rivers (tenor sax), larry young (organ), grant green (guitar) & coltrane quartet era elvin jones on drums!

cheers

User Info Menu

I am VERY Into Larry Young albums with Grant Green. Great comping on this track!