The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Love his playing but getting a bit tired of the crunchy jazz trio format, 5 albums in a row now. Still excited to check it out I just found all the solo videos he put out over the past year far more interesting than this first teaser track. We'll see, I'm sure the album will have great stuff on it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He‘s now on blue note and the new album includes some live versions from old songs.

I really like this new song, he sounds fresh and in a fascinating way vintage and modern at the same time. Nice modern beat. Obviously he‘s very inspired by his new guitar.

User Info Menu

It would be cool to hear him in an organ trio, especially with the "crunchy" tone he gets and with that new Colllings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb

Love his playing but getting a bit tired of the crunchy jazz trio format, 5 albums in a row now. Still excited to check it out I just found all the solo videos he put out over the past year far more interesting than this first teaser track. We'll see, I'm sure the album will have great stuff on it.

Yeah ... Nocturne hit like a sledgehammer and dominated my Spotify end of year list .. I listened to that one a lot! ... But since then I've had a hard time getting into him .. don't really know why?

User Info Menu

Definitely dig the song, but it peaked at Nocturne like Lobo said!

Would like to see him make a return to the days of old (Gladwell, still my fav by him) and bust out the L5 and the Manzer, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

User Info Menu

Honestly, I for one am happy he's NOT doing the "standard arch top thing"... that's what everybody does. If anything, I'm drawn to his uniqueness in using the Tele, Collings/Jet, Fender Champ, BRIDGE pickup lol...

I love big box jazz, but I think the world could use more Jimmy Bryants, Jim Campilongos, Duke Levines, and Julian Lages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Honestly, I for one am happy he's NOT doing the "standard arch top thing"... that's what everybody does. If anything, I'm drawn to his uniqueness in using the Tele, Collings/Jet, Fender Champ, BRIDGE pickup lol...

I love big box jazz, but I think the world could use more Jimmy Bryants, Jim Campilongos, Duke Levines, and Julian Lages.
    Can we split the difference and get another Hank Garland? I could see Julian playing a Byrdland!!!

User Info Menu

Music for Grand Theft Auto 6, perhaps; I miss Kenny Wollesen and Scott Colley already.

User Info Menu

I was reminded of Manuel Galban in a few places. This is OK by me.

User Info Menu

He‘s doin‘ his own thing.
    That’s great and that’s why he‘s so loved by many people. As said above, his music is always inspired by the guitar he‘s playing, e.g. ARCLIGHT and MODERN LORE by his Telecaster, LOVE HURTS by his Duo Jet and his latest work by his Collings.
    Great.

User Info Menu

Still my favourite album of his is Room with Nels Cline. That album has been a real game changer for me.

User Info Menu

Preordered the LP instantly yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9

I'm not really talking about the guitar he is playing, I just would love to hear him in another group configuration where he could do some more comping, or do another solo album since I think he is the best at that that has ever lived. World's Fair is amazing, and as I mentioned the electric guitar solo videos he has put out recently have been so inspiring.

User Info Menu

Julian’s real busy:

"Saint Rose" More Julian Lage coming-a190fcdc-5384-4d0c-ae9c-8ad91deb2b7f-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I was reminded of Manuel Galban in a few places.
    good call...by way of ry cooder!...also hear some frisell, ribot and shepik...single coil guys!...

(cooder, frisell and lage all tk smith gear (& playing) fans as well)

lage is a young guy...has plenty of time for the big archtop traditional stuff...but the direction he's goin' in now needs that solidbody single coil tone...he's acrobatic with it...

new tune isn't much of a composition, jammy, but it gives him a chance to really cut loose...trem, effects, crunch...he even quotes coltrane, by way of the byrds...sounds as if he's really havin' fun

agree he's treading cliff gallup, jimmy bryant, campilongo circles more than wes & pass...and why not? fab players all

cheers

User Info Menu

This reminds me of Steely Dan and of Donald Fagen’s solo work. This is a Good Thing.

User Info Menu

Lage has big ears and embraces the cross-pollination of genres, as do a lot of younger players. I enjoy everything he's ever done but I really dig his work on the Telecaster and Gretsch the most but he's a killer player on acoustic as well. Here's what he does with the bluegrass standard Cattle in the Cane.

User Info Menu

Julian was developing a case of Focal Dystonia in his left hand, fortunately got ahold of Jerrold Harsher and worked with him to catch it before it did irreparable damage, but he's still playing lighter strings and lower action until he's sure everything is cool. I hear the Manuel Galban influence as well! I like the crunchy trio approach, I do a somewhat similar thing but add sax for color and contrast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    He‘s doin‘ his own thing.
    That’s great and that’s why he‘s so loved by many people. As said above, his music is always inspired by the guitar he‘s playing, e.g. ARCLIGHT and MODERN LORE by his Telecaster, LOVE HURTS by his Duo Jet and his latest work by his Collings.
    Great.
    And "World's Fair" by his Waterloo*:

*or not.... a note on the video says it was recorded with his 1939 Martin OOO-18.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 04-03-2021 at 01:27 AM.

User Info Menu

He's getting more into textural playing, which is a great thing. And yes, I think we had enough of archtop bebop players, move as far away from it is good for new players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    He's getting more into textural playing, which is a great thing. And yes, I think we had enough of archtop bebop players, move as far away from it is good for new players.
    Couldn't agree more.