The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

This came across my facebook feed.

A nice version of what is hip within.
    Tuck & Patti - T&P Facebook Live #32 We deeply appreciate...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great stuff!
    Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Saw them live a couple times in the 90’s.... thank you for posting I enjoyed seeing them again!

User Info Menu

Saw them twice: Phenomenal.

Once at an outdoor festival with the juxtaposition of long haired hippy people and jacked up beer security folk.

Tuck explained how he had to alter his fingering on the previous tune due to a bug on the fretboard.

Anecdotal or not; an interesting approach.

User Info Menu

Love their album with "let's stay together" on it from back in the 90's. The recording was really well done!

User Info Menu

I got to see/hear Tuck and Patty at the St Francis Hotel in SFO early 90’s. That was magical! (from what I remember it was a conference and I was getting a gout attack. Blah)
    Somewhere out on the net may or not still be a really interesting article by Tuck on his taking a year to learn “real” classical right hand technique. I remember it cause I read it mid 90’s just before I started classical training. Tuck talked about taking months to learn the ‘right’ technique to use his right index finger. Hah! I said. Until I started study and it took me a year to nail my right hand!
    I seriously enjoy these people.
    Ever hear Tuck’s Christmas CD?

User Info Menu

I knew Tuck a little bit in high school in Tulsa. He moved away to go to Harvard.

User Info Menu

Wow!

User Info Menu

Absolutely monster player. They have a lot of excellent CDs out. I was lucky enough to see them live once..

That's their website. Over the years, Tuck Andress has had a lot of great and very analytical articles about music, guitar and technique there.

Tuck's Corner — Tuck & Patti

User Info Menu

I admire them. My hat's off to Tuck. He's a great player, of course. Beyond that he's been loyal to his woman and guitar for nearly eternity. He seems comfortable.

User Info Menu

I've been a fan since very near the beginning. He's a monster talent but something that rarely gets said and ought to be, is that she is also a monster talent and apparently the guiding artistic vision of the pair. I don't tend to be much of a fan-boy but I met them at NAMM once and it was a real thrill. She was a sweetheart.

User Info Menu

I was introduced to Tuck's music over twenty five years ago by one of his high school classmates, a friend of my girlfriend, that knew I was a musician and brought me one of his signed CD's. I was very impressed with his rendition of "Over the Rainbow" and his unique and personal musical voice. Tuck and Patti are definitely out somewhere near Pluto . . . the real deal! Thanks, J for the great video! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I love Tuck and Patti. They are just perfect.

User Info Menu

I concur with the description of Tuck and Patti as monster musicians. They make really difficult stuff sound effortless, light and fun. From the description Tuck has provided in interviews and on his website, they are both also technically very savvy in terms of sound reproduction and reinforcement. If I recall correctly, Tuck does not use an amplifier on stage and goes direct to the PA. His approach towards equipment choice is unique, to say the least. In terms of technique and approaching the instrument, in some ways he is a modern George Van Eps on six string.

I don't know if this is the case with all of their albums but some/many of them have been recorded at home in a studio they set up there. The description of it is pretty entertaining, such as having a soundproofed closet to isolate from the noise of passing traffic. A lot of that was done probably pre-DAW.

User Info Menu

I love listening to them. Amazing to watch Tuck play. For the life of me, I cannot look at his fingerings and analyze what he is doing. He definitely does not use standard "grabs" in his playing very often. I cannot identify most of his chord voicings.

Also I have to admire his lack of GAS!

User Info Menu

btw, they've been together 40 yrs and she'll be 72 this year!

User Info Menu

I first saw Tuck in the mid-'70s, in a tacky cocktail lounge in a shopping center. He was playing a Les Paul, with a pick, in a funk trio. Let me tell you, Tuck burned with that pick.

I was there with a friend, whose band Tuck had auditioned for. He answered an ad to play bass. My friend's band was pretty good, but not a pro unit by any means. Anyway, they jam for a while and then take a break. Tuck asks the guitarist if he can check out his guitar. He plays for a couple minutes and blows everybody's mind. They're all wondering why he's there with them at all, much less to play bass. (He was going through a rough patch.) The guitarist started taking lessons from Tuck. From him I heard stories of Tuck's practice regimen, which was rigorous and then some.

It was around the same time that I first saw Patti, in the basement of a local steakhouse. She was singing with an ensemble led by a saxophonist named Tucki Bailey (sort of a funny coincidence, that name). They were a seriously good band that should have been a huge hit.

After Tuck and Patti got together, they gigged for a number of years at small venues in the Bay Area, and I saw them lots of times. I would often request their funny, faithful, funky rendition of "Love Potion #9".

As others have noted, they're both truly lovely people, and it does my heart good to see them going strong after all these years. Long may they run.

User Info Menu

For a short while in the 80’s, I lived with my cousin and his wife in the Hollywood Hills. My cousin was the inventor of the original in ear monitors, as well as Stevie Wonder’s technical director for a few years, (and a killer singer songwriter himself!). Tuck and Patti stayed with us for a week while my cousin was installing a micro mic in Tuck’s L5. They were relatively unknown at the time and certainly unknown to me. Ate dinner with them every night, lovely people, but I had no idea how great he was, didn’t hear him play the whole time and likely could have had a few great lessons if I had only known! SMH.

User Info Menu

If you have some time check out Tuck’s Tips for Guitar.

I found it on facebook, I think they may be moving to you tube eventually but if you have FB you can probably search for it.

Very entertaining.

User Info Menu

Some good masterclass videos on youtube from 1984 (yes, Tuck once had black hair!) He's always been generous with sharing his techniques...