The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i like this later period grant green stuff ^...he took a couple of years off and came back in '69...and then stretched it further to funk in the 70's...there's a cool archival recording recently released (slick! live at oil can harrys) of him doing a return to forever fusion tune!! he worked it great!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-06-2021 at 10:02 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

What is he playing on that wonderful video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What is he playing on that wonderful video?
    Epiphone Emperor w McCarty pickup

User Info Menu

Thanks. Works for me.

User Info Menu

Man, this is great.

Grant is just flat out my favorite player.

User Info Menu

what's amazing is that grant had a relatively short recording career...really only about 20 years max...he had great run in 60's with blue note records...both as leader and sideman...but his last 10 years are fairly under recorded...tho still quite interesting

it's thought that he used that same mccarty pickup on his gibson L-7 and then mounted it to the epi emperor...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Epiphone Emperor w McCarty pickup
    So the McCarty pickup floats above the top - attached to the pickguard?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    So the McCarty pickup floats above the top - attached to the pickguard?
    Correct, built into the guard.

User Info Menu

Seen this before, but was REALLY excited to see this the first time... still am.

Is this around his "Live at the Lighthouse" period?

I dunno, GG was pretty funky with all those organist is played with--Baby Face, Big John Patton, McDuff. He was even funky with Larry Young.

What I love about Grant Green is that "take no prisoner" attack he had. He smacked those strings and made them GAAAAROOOOOOOVAAAAHHH. Jim Hall had a much stronger attack than people give him credit for, but Grant Green was on another level. DYNAMICS. I'm sorry, but jazz guitar ain't worth a lick if it ain't spiced right with a generous amount of dynamics. Loud, soft. Projected, swallowed. Makes the music speak. As guitarists, I think we all gotta be more aware of dynamics than horn players cause it's just harder to vary dynamics on a guitar (w/out pedals and knobs). I mean dynamics from a pick, fingers (if you play fingerstyle), or Wes tinged blue thumb. That said, those that really know how to use a volume pedal can make a guitar sound even sweeter... But let's stick with the idea of the dynamics that came from Grant's pick strokes--getting clear, controlled-gritty when ya want it, pick dynamics is no laughing matter!

That and his articulations... One of the reasons I've stayed away from hammer on's is because it's really challenging to get them to pop and groove like a picked note. Not with Grant Green. There's muscle, presence, and rhythmic precision in every articulation that came outta Grant's guitar.

Can we get the Grant Green thread up and going again. I've listened to a lot of his stuff, but not all of it... I wanna discover more from what you all listen to and all
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 03-08-2021 at 03:24 AM.

indeed Picking..never ever thought id see a full concert with Grant...blew me away too..downloading it before it dissPEARS...

User Info Menu

Grant, Wes, Pat, and Freddy learned their trade on the job. It is an invaluable learning experience that clearly reflects in a musician's sound and style. And, it is why we are still listening to these greats today. Great video!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

That's a favorite video of mine, i transcribed quite a bit of it at some point. Grant Green .. he could be playing on just one chord forever and it never gets stale! Such a rich musical background.

User Info Menu

i bought it from GG jr the day it came out. it's really great. hopefully someday something in a club will turn up, too. GGjr supposedly has a color video as well but might be reluctant to bring it out due to the paris one showing up on youtube. (although he most likely did not have the rights in the first place)

i did quite a bit of research into this tour and more material was filmed, some of which BBC broadcasted at that time. the color clip from ronnie scotts hints at what may have survived in the archives.

i dont have much hope for new grant material though. most of the unissued BN sessions did burn in the big fire afaik. there is still a good one with ike quebec that will probably come out eventually and a session with KD which i guess wont. there is also the 1967 left bank with john patton, but we probably need a white knight for that one to come out.