The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Who is your favorite?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A great group, but nobody plays a blues like Grant.

User Info Menu

Ha! Interesting, thanks for getting that together.

Strangely, Grant is the one I wouldn't take out of those. I felt like this was supposed to be jazz blues, strictly, and what he was doing sounded more like soul or pop or something like that. I didn't feel it was really a jazz groove, at least not to my ear. Benson was maybe technically impressive but... on reflection... probably Raney stole it for me.

But there you go. I'd have liked to have heard Scofield, myself. Kenny Burrelll was the blues guy, of course... etc, etc :-)

We should do this here. A few choruses each of, say a G or Bb blues, same backing, stick 'em together, see who WINS! I bet Beaumont would, but you never know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ha! Interesting, thanks for getting that together.

Strangely, Grant is the one I wouldn't take out of those. I felt like this was supposed to be jazz blues, strictly, and what he was doing sounded more like soul or pop or something like that. I didn't feel it was really a jazz groove, at least not to my ear. Benson was maybe technically impressive but... on reflection... probably Raney stole it for me.

But there you go. I'd have liked to have heard Scofield, myself. Kenny Burrelll was the blues guy, of course... etc, etc :-)

We should do this here. A few choruses each of, say a G or Bb blues, same backing, stick 'em together, see who WINS! I bet Beaumont would, but you never know
    I daresay this week's jam will be very much a blues...not a 12 bar form, but very much a blues.

There's probably better examples of Grant playing a good old 12 bar, but I love this funky '60's energy of the tune the OP picked. That's the blues too. Blues ain't a form, or a number of bars. Blues IS.

User Info Menu

I daresay this week's jam will be very much a blues...not a 12 bar form, but very much a blues.
    Sounds great. Bring it on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Blues ain't a form, or a number of bars. Blues IS.
    Amen, brother!

User Info Menu

For me, it's the Joe Pass cut. I mean they are all good, and all of them exhibit aspects I really dig. But the Pass cut just transcends. The Raney track is a standout in its own way.

User Info Menu

All of those tracks are well known to me. Here is another: a blues that really swings. (and thus that make it less "blues"?).

Have to type that I miss Kenny, but Wes all day (yes, I'm biased. Can't help it.). Honorable mention goes to PM and JP.

User Info Menu

A great group, but nobody plays a blues like Burrell.
    Fixed it for ya.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Fixed it for ya.
    Oh, Kenny's a blues master too, but he didn't make it into this video.

User Info Menu

track 8 is sublime

User Info Menu

Oh, Kenny's a blues master too, but he didn't make it into this video.
    My bad- I see "Midnight Blue" in the thumbprint of the video. And if Kenny's around, when it comes to a blues, he's the man. (imo of course)

Hmm... the title says "8 solos", but there's only 7... I think the guy FORGOT to put Burrell in... I told him LOL

User Info Menu

Personally I find the blues sound gets old quite quickly. Jazz players tend to use many more notes than the usual pentatonics, even with additional notes. It's the skilled use of scale notes that's the hard bit. Sax and piano players seem to do it much better. Probably got a lot to do with fingering, I suspect.

Try 'Coltrane Plays The Blues' for some different ideas!

User Info Menu

My bad- I see "Midnight Blue" in the thumbprint of the video. And if Kenny's around, when it comes to a blues, he's the man. (imo of course)

Hmm... the title says "8 solos", but there's only 7... I think the guy FORGOT to put Burrell in... I told him LOL
    Yes, something went wrong there I think. How could he leave out Midnight Blue? The whole album is based on interpretations of the blues, as I recall.

User Info Menu

Pat and George for me, but this is all down to individual nervous system configuration. They're all good.

I must’ve missed him out. It’s my bad. Sorry for the confusion.

User Info Menu

You can't please everybody and I thought you did very well. It was most entertaining and fun to have solos all together like that. Besides, you only asked which was their favourite in the video, not who else should have been included if the video was three hours long

They'll hate me now. Good :-)

User Info Menu

You can't please everybody and I thought you did very well. It was most entertaining and fun to have solos all together like that. Besides, you only asked which was their favourite in the video, not who else should have been included if the video was three hours long

They'll hate me now. Good :-)
    Um, except Midnight Blue is clearly visible in the video preview above LOL. I was waiting, waiting, waiting..... no Burrell. Honest mistake, just a travesty to have (accidentally) left Burrell out of a BLUES video.

User Info Menu

Here's Ted Greene with Will Ray of the Hellecasters. He doesn't sound totally comfortable in this context but it's interesting to hear nonetheless.

https://www.tedgreene.com/audio/Misc...dTedGreene.mp3

User Info Menu

Um, except Midnight Blue is clearly visible in the video preview above .
    Ah.... you have a point. I missed that. Looks like an honest mistake, as you say. Ah, well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    All of those tracks are well known to me. Here is another: a blues that really swings. (and thus that make it less "blues"?).

Thanks for that.

I had that record in high school, still have it, probably haven't listened to it since then, yet could clearly hear the melody to that particular tune in my head before I clicked play on your post. I don't even know the name of the tune but could easily work it out on my axe too. I guess that means it's an effective melody that bears repeating.

That's a very nice solo, and one that any beginning jazz guitarist would do well to learn. The Oklahoma Charlie Christian influence was still strong in fellow Oklahoman Kessel, but he was also clearly expressing "modern jazz" (i.e. bebop).

User Info Menu

Personally I find the blues sound gets old quite quickly
    Clearly listening to the wrong stuff. I'm here to help.

User Info Menu

Wes. "No Blues" is my favorite jazz blues solo of all time. It kills and keeps killing.

User Info Menu

I love Jim Hall's track. But, I like understated players.