User Info Menu

At 2:33, the 2021 Canadian Jazz Master Awards are honouring Sonny Greenwich.

At 43:16, there is an interview and performance by a young Lorne Lofsky with Oscar Peterson (recorded in 1981).

Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard. It's very heartwarming for me to see Sonny get this recognition. He was my favourite guitarist in the early 70's, and not just because he is a fellow Canadian. There's something about his focus and strength of statement that always goes straight to my heart.

User Info Menu

That's some circle of friends that Oscar Peterson has! have to say, the highlight of that set for me was Mary Lou Williams. Goodness gracious, listening to her play that flowing-in-the-pocket time with her right hand and then comping just up against that time with her left hand was so cool. What a treat to hear such mastery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    have to say, the highlight of that set for me was Mary Lou Williams. Goodness gracious, listening to her play that flowing-in-the-pocket time with her right hand and then comping just up against that time with her left hand was so cool. What a treat to hear such mastery.
    Seconded. And I'm not sure, but after her piece, when Oscar comes up to do a little interview, and the first thing out of his mouth is something about the fact that she's a woman, I swear her eyes flash a little because she's straining not to roll them around. Love hearing her reminisce about Bud and Monk a little bit after that.