The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sure most have seen this more than once but bears another post.
    We're so fortunate to have such superb clips of Wes and other greats thanks to our European friends who really knew how to film and record performances.
    This is extra cool because it's a small/big band w/some of the great European players of the time, plus Wes' old pal Johnny 'The Little Giant' Griffin from their days of jammin in Cali @ Tsubos.
    Not sure why Wes has a music stand except to remind him of the setlist and maybe to blend in w/the band, he never really looks at it but points to it a couple times to pianist Martial Solal and laughs

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Superb! Solal is a terrific pianist. He did a great record with Sidney Bechet aI've loved for years. This whole band really cooks. It's always amazing to see Wes smile and look around the room while the most amazing stuff is coming out of his guitar.

DaShigsta Guest
    FYI... Here are the details of the complete sessions.
    The NDR (German public radio) is going to release an audio CD this month.

Wes Montgomery a.o. (NDR Workshop 39): Studio 10, Grosser Sendesaal des NDR Funkhauses, Hamburg (April 30, 1965)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaShigsta
    FYI... Here are the details of the complete sessions.
    The NDR (German public radio) is going to release an audio CD this month.

Wes Montgomery a.o. (NDR Workshop 39): Studio 10, Grosser Sendesaal des NDR Funkhauses, Hamburg (April 30, 1965)
    I assume these sessions were done around the same time (on the same trip), as the Paris sessions.

Do you know what the list of tunes are? I ask, because while the playing on the Paris sessions was first rate the tunes were the-same-old-ones, and even Wes' solos sound too "packaged" - too much like the studio releases or other live recordings Wes had done years earlier.

PS: I clicked on the link and see the list of songs: There is a lot of variety here! E.g. original songs by sax player Koller, one by the baritone sax player Ross, two by piano player Solal, two by Griffin and then the Wes original "standards".

DaShigsta Guest
    According to the info on the NDR site Wes came over to Hamburg immediately after
    the London gig with Ronnie Scott and Ronnie Stephenson the drummer.
    The film we know and love so much was the studio rehearsal (the day before ?).
    I believe the long list is the tune sequence for that full-length concert on April 30th:

They say the complete concert was also filmed ! I'd love to see it...
    When in the timeline was Paris happening ?

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I assume these sessions were done around the same time (on the same trip), as the Paris sessions.

Do you know what the list of tunes are? I ask, because while the playing on the Paris sessions was first rate the tunes were the-same-old-ones, and even Wes' solos sound too "packaged" - too much like the studio releases or other live recordings Wes had done years earlier.

PS: I clicked on the link and see the list of songs: There is a lot of variety here! E.g. original songs by sax player Koller, one by the baritone sax player Ross, two by piano player Solal, two by Griffin and then the Wes original "standards".
    Last edited by DaShigsta; 03-01-2021 at 06:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaShigsta
    When in the timeline was Paris happening ?
    he started in san remo, recorded in london for bbc, went to france, belgium, holland, back to london, germany, back to london, recorded another tv show there, then flew home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    he started in san remo, recorded in london for bbc, went to france, belgium, holland, back to london, germany, back to london, recorded another tv show there, then flew home.
    The Paris sessions were recorded on March 27, 1965.

User Info Menu

Thanks, W, for the great music! I especially enjoyed Johnny's rendition of "Blue Monk." I had the good fortune to hear Johnny live ,many times, at Joe Seagal's Jazz Showcase in Chicago. He was one of most creative tenors in Jazz and his big sound was unmistakable. And, anyone question Wes' genius? He played better with one thumb than any other guitarist I can remember with 12 fingers. Great music! Great video!
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. 56 years ago and still fresh!