The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Here is a really beautiful talk with Ben Monder - one of the best and probably most underrated guitarists in modern jazz:

Any Monder fans out there?????

Cheers
    Jules

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Huge fan. He's a singular figure for me, especially because he's got such an inclusive knowledge of jazz history-music history for that matter, such a deep respect for tradition- and has gone on to make his own mark on his own terms, terms that leave the most modern players in the dust (pun intended).
    Can't wait to hear what he'll share with us next!

User Info Menu

Yeah he's a great player!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Huge fan. He's a singular figure for me, especially because he's got such an inclusive knowledge of jazz history-music history for that matter, such a deep respect for tradition- and has gone on to make his own mark on his own terms, terms that leave the most modern players in the dust (pun intended).
    Can't wait to hear what he'll share with us next!
    love the pun
    yeah, ben rules!!!!!

User Info Menu

Ben is the best. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Interviewers like this drive me nuts.

"He's a singular figure" sums it up well. Ben Monder has a unique approach to music and the guitar, a depth of understanding that few achieve. I don't always like the results, to be honest, and I find some of it breathtaking. He and Theo Bleckmann, holy smokes- unique and strangely beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I don't always like the results, to be honest, and I find some of it breathtaking.
    Any player who can cover this spectrum so uniquely and masterfully, and have the depth to be a first choice pick for Paul Motian, Maria Schneider and David Bowie is not going to be pigeon holed into playing in one style that everyone will love. But to the people who hire him as a sideman, he's always got somewhere he can bring the music that was never imagined by anybody's stretch of the imagination. And that is not even mentioning his compositional abilities, which would hold the deepest scrutiny from any academic perspective. His output arc is merciless and always revolutionary.

User Info Menu

I like his recordings (and vids) with Jerome Sabbagh:

User Info Menu

I cant compare his overall playing/composing to any other that I know of..
    but on one take Keith Jarret comes to mind
    choosing the path less traveled and finding comfort there

User Info Menu

Here is playing straight fours :-)

User Info Menu

Any player who can cover this spectrum so uniquely and masterfully, and have the depth to be a first choice pick for Paul Motian, Maria Schneider and David Bowie is not going to be pigeon holed into playing in one style that everyone will love. But to the people who hire him as a sideman, he's always got somewhere he can bring the music that was never imagined by anybody's stretch of the imagination. And that is not even mentioning his compositional abilities, which would hold the deepest scrutiny from any academic perspective. His output arc is merciless and always revolutionary.

i really like Charlottes song. It does the spooky American Art Song thing. Could have been written by Barber or Copeland.

Not sure if I really quite get the rest of that record though, although you could say 12 tone metal meets atonal Beach Boys music, what’s to not to love? And I would respect that.

User Info Menu

He played on several songs on Blackstar and sends the final song literally and figuratively into the stratosphere. A fitting sendoff to a great artist.

User Info Menu

And Hydra is just one of the most creative and devishly complicated guitar pieces of modern music. Very few musicians could attempt something like this.

User Info Menu

Saw Ben with Starbaby - beautiful
    landscape .

User Info Menu

I love Theo and Ben.

User Info Menu

Ben fans: he's playing now (10 Mar) with Jerome Sabbagh on Small's Live! Great stuff!

User Info Menu

And today he's playing in Mike Moreno's Sunday duo series -- amazing!! [Mike posts these just for a few days after, so make sure you catch it!]