The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Great pre-bop style jazz quartet (cornet, reedman, guitar, piano) featuring some great playing by Marty Grosz.

BONUS: no drums! But still very swinging and fun to listen to (remember when jazz was fun?)

The Classic Quartet YouTube Playlist
    The Complete Recordings - YouTube

Some Moldy Figs Still Taste Pretty Sweet-672a0912-a8c4-4519-b4d9-a135e0e6fbf6-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"There's so much not to like here before I even get to the drums." :-)

(i dunno. just had to. i have a soft spot for trane. that stung me a bit.)

User Info Menu

fun track from obscure saxman herbie haymer...(he died in an accident after a sinatra session!)

laguna leap...pre crooner nat cole super adventurous on keys and young buddy rich high energy drumming...shavers is icing

The Herbie Haymer Quintet

Charlie Shavers(tp) Herbie Haymer(ts) Nat King Cole(p) John Simmons(b) Buddy Rich(d)
    Los Angeles, June 9, 1945

cheers

User Info Menu

Marty is a great player, but to be honest he does not have a great voice.

User Info Menu

Hahaha!

One of my favorite things is when my dear wife quotes back to me some pompous smartass thing I said at just the right time later on - touché!

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    "There's so much not to like here before I even get to the drums." :-)

(i dunno. just had to. i have a soft spot for trane. that stung me a bit.)

User Info Menu

He has a great comic voice, a self-effacing ironic delivery - I’d choose him over Billie Holiday (who never met a melody she wouldn’t - couldn’t? - sing right, not even close) every time.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Marty is a great player, but to be honest he does not have a great voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    He has a great comic voice, a self-effacing ironic delivery - I’d choose him over Billie Holiday (who never met a melody she wouldn’t - couldn’t? - sing right, not even close) every time.
    Agree w your assessment of Marty's singing but we'll part ways on our Holiday opinion.

User Info Menu

btw, I've seen Marty a few times, he moved into the area maybe 10-15 yrs ago, he's exactly as he is on mic as real life, and is still the best exponent of that wonderful sadly dying Carl Kress/Dick Mcdonough style that I love.
    I saw him at a guitar show maybe 10 yrs ago carrying an old case. I asked him what was in it and he said "air"
    It was empty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    btw, I've seen Marty a few times, he moved into the area maybe 10-15 yrs ago, he's exactly as he is on mic as real life, and is still the best exponent of that wonderful sadly dying Carl Kress/Dick Mcdonough style that I love.
    I saw him at a guitar show maybe 10 yrs ago carrying an old case. I asked him what was in it and he said "air"
    It was empty
    i still have a businesscard on which he wrote down his tuning for me many moons ago. a fantastic musician and entertainer. i also dig his voice but then i also dig billie holiday, so what do i know..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i still have a businesscard on which he wrote down his tuning for me many moons ago. a fantastic musician and entertainer. i also dig his voice but then i also dig billie holiday, so what do i know..
    You know what you like!