The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

In an ideal world, this would be the fate of all drummers who play too loud.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There’s so much not to like here before I even get to the drums...

Quote Originally Posted by djg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    In an ideal world, this would be the fate of all drummers who play too loud.

Pisser! That reminds me of the time I was doing a jazz gig in a club with one of the best jazz drummers playing today, Jon Riley, and the band goes on a break.
    All of a sudden we hear some loud drums, and a somewhat well-known drummer and his goony pianist friend decide they want to sit in during our break. They're playing some loud, high energy modal BS, and the drummer, a known coke fiend, is bashing the hell out of the drums. He takes a drum solo and is literally pounding the crap out of the drums, getting louder and louder.
    All of a sudden, he seems to kick the bass drum into the drum set, and the whole thing comes crashing down!
    Jon Riley comes running up to his set, assesses the damage, and has a stern talk to the coke fiend about it.
    Although he didn't blow up on fire like Animal, cokeboy seemed to blow the drum set up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Pisser! That reminds me of the time I was doing a jazz gig in a club with one of the best jazz drummers playing today, Jon Riley, and the band goes on a break.
    All of a sudden we hear some loud drums, and a somewhat well-known drummer and his goony pianist friend decide they want to sit in during our break. They're playing some loud, high energy modal BS, and the drummer, a known coke fiend, is bashing the hell out of the drums. He takes a drum solo and is literally pounding the crap out of the drums, getting louder and louder.
    All of a sudden, he seems to kick the bass drum into the drum set, and the whole thing comes crashing down!
    Jon Riley comes running up to his set, assesses the damage, and has a stern talk to the coke fiend about it.
    Although he didn't blow up on fire like Animal, cokeboy seemed to blow the drum set up!
    That is unbelievably un-professional. Also why I never let anybody touch my stuff. Full stop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim

reminds me of a story from long ago. we were playing an organ quartet gig in the hood and someone came in and was staring at me the whole set. on break the other guys in the band greeted him and a few other musicians in the club did likewise, word was he was a guitar player. he came up to me and said he liked my playing and wanted to check out my old L-5. I reluctantly retrieved it from the bandstand but figured if everyone knew him he must know what he's doing and gave it to him at the bar. he went to sit on a stool to play it and wacked the side of it on the edge of the bar as he was sitting down. it made a really loud bang--so loud that everyone turned around, I though for certain he cracked the wood. he handed it back to me and there was a dent but no crack.
    that was the last time I ever let anyone touch it that I didn't know.

User Info Menu

Another first rate drummer-less trio:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    reminds me of a story from long ago. we were playing an organ quartet gig in the hood and someone came in and was staring at me the whole set. on break the other guys in the band greeted him and a few other musicians in the club did likewise, word was he was a guitar player. he came up to me and said he liked my playing and wanted to check out my old L-5. I reluctantly retrieved it from the bandstand but figured if everyone knew him he must know what he's doing and gave it to him at the bar. he went to sit on a stool to play it and wacked the side of it on the edge of the bar as he was sitting down. it made a really loud bang--so loud that everyone turned around, I though for certain he cracked the wood. he handed it back to me and there was a dent but no crack.
    that was the last time I ever let anyone touch it that I didn't know.
    I had a different experience. A guy at a bar asked if he and his buddy could sit in--he was a guitarist, his friend was a singer. We said OK--seemed nice and presentable enough, upscale bar.

They did some great versions of Fly Me to the Moon and Footprints. Turns out they both had played together in the Air Force band Airmen of Note. NOT amateurs.

No guitars were harmed in the process btw.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite trios without a drummer. (the entire album).

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore spent most of his career playing without drums. Here's an original composition from his last recording session with the Nat King Cole Trio:

User Info Menu

Here is one of my favorite original Nat King Cole Trio songs. This is so hip for its time.

User Info Menu

Back on track with Tal Farlow...

The Savoy Sessions: The Red Norvo Trio - YouTube