Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Harry Leahey - Silver Threads
    I bought that for .99 in a cutout bin. My friend the late Howard Krive studied w Harry and bought that Koontz he's playing on the cover from him. rip Howard

User Info Menu

I often feel that way about saxophone. In my opinion the most overexposed instrument in jazz and, with the exception of Paul Desmond, most are unable to play concisely.

User Info Menu

i feel the same way about jazzguitar

User Info Menu

+1 for almost all the above albums,especially the Jim Hall/Bill Evans (& Hall's duets with Ron Carter)

that said Jimmy Cobb's ride cymbal on 'So What' still kills me - he thought at the time he'd over hit it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

As we know from Clockwork Orange, sometimes the only cure for a problem is overexposure.

User Info Menu

Darn, Sam beat me to the Chet Baker quote!!!!

User Info Menu

Sometimes I want to listen to only ride cymbal

User Info Menu

here's the 2nd most famous cymbal in jazz. the most famous one of course is the one papa jo jones threw at bird...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

How do you feel about hi-hats?

User Info Menu

Good we've turned to drums, I love jazz drums.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

So now a thread about drummers, I guess it always was...

Is this my favorite drummer? Could be

User Info Menu

White noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    How do you feel about hi-hats?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    So now a thread about drummers, I guess it always was...

Is this my favorite drummer? Could be

I've never seen such a complete and utter corruption of a thread in all my years online! The poor OP asks for drummerless guitar records, and youse guys are just posting drummer videos!

I played a bunch of gigs with an excellent drummer who was Richie Cole's drummer, and said he was a protege of Sonny Igoe.
    He mentioned Sonny had a son who played too, and I guess this is him. Total monster!

User Info Menu

Back when drum kits were real drum kits, no ride cymbals here m8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Back when drum kits were real drum kits, no ride cymbals here m8

Good thing that apart from adding the ride cymbal we also removed any and all drum sounds that might give a sense of propulsion .. Can't have that can we .. Thank God that all drums are cranked to the max and preferably small, so they go click-ety-plop and not bang-ba-da-boom

User Info Menu

I’m afraid you’re outnumbered Max.

Even A/C’s are getting into the act...

User Info Menu

I have no doubt I’m outnumbered; fortunately the videos posted here don’t autoplay, so I haven’t had to hear any of the drum stuff.

Back in the ‘90s, I got a call from a local jazz drummer I only knew by name - he had got my number from a mutual colleague. He asked me to play a trio gig with him along with an acoustic bassist. He told me it was a small venue (a golf course clubhouse) and asked me to bring a small amp. We would play whatever standards I knew.

I arrived at the gig about an hour out, and was mildly curious that the drummer was not there yet - you know usually they have the most stuff to set up. So I asked where the band should set up and plugged in my little amp, careful to leave room for the drum set and acoustic bass.

The leader showed up, carrying a snare drum in a gig bag, a snare stand and a stick bag. After exchanging greetings, I asked him if I could help him bring his gear in. He smiled and said no thanks, grabbed a regular chair from the floor, set up his snare stand, pulled out a wooden Ludwig snare drum, a set of brushes, and then started chatting about tunes we might do. At some point I realized he was ready to go - no bass drum, no cymbals, no toms.

We played three sets of standards; The guy was swinging, tasteful and interactive with just the drum (he played with the snares off a lot of the time) and the brushes. It was one of the most enjoyable jazz gigs I had ever played, we all had a great time and it went over well with the crowd.

I played with that guy every chance I could get. In other contexts - jazz clubs, outdoor gigs - of course he used a full set, but for that small clubhouse the guitar, acoustic bass, snare drum combo was just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I’m afraid you’re outnumbered Max.

Even A/C’s are getting into the act...

Last edited by BickertRules; 02-03-2021 at 11:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Sassy - no cymbals.

Joe Pass sits this one out too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    I have no doubt I’m outnumbered; fortunately the videos posted here don’t autoplay, so I haven’t had to hear any of the drum stuff.

Back in the ‘90s, I got a call from a local jazz drummer I only knew by name - he had got my number from a mutual colleague. He asked me to play a trio gig with him along with an acoustic bassist. He told me it was a small venue (a golf course clubhouse) and asked me to bring a small amp. We would play whatever standards I knew.

I arrived at the gig about an hour out, and was mildly curious that the drummer was not there yet - you know usually they have the most stuff to set up. So I asked where the band should set up and plugged in my little amp, careful to leave room for the drum set and acoustic bass.

The leader showed up, carrying a snare drum in a gig bag, a snare stand and a stick bag. After exchanging greetings, I asked him if I could help him bring his gear in. He smiled and said no thanks, grabbed a regular chair from the floor, set up his snare stand, pulled out a wooden Ludwig snare drum, a set of brushes, and then started chatting about tunes we might do. At some point I realized he was ready to go - no bass drum, no cymbals, no toms.

We played three sets of standards; The guy was swinging, tasteful and interactive with just the drum (he played with the snares off a lot of the time) and the brushes. It was one of the most enjoyable jazz gigs I had ever played, we all had a great time and it went over well with the crowd.

I played with that guy every chance I could get. In other contexts - jazz clubs, outdoor gigs - of course he used a full set, but for that small clubhouse the guitar, acoustic bass, snare drum combo was just perfect.
    Our group's drummer has a Tamla cocktail drum kit--can carry everything in a single bag. There is a cymbal and high hat which he rarely uses. He plays with bundle sticks usually. He sets up right behind me, in fact in our usual venue so close that I have to be careful not to hit the cymbal with my head when I get up. He plays so understated that I almost don't hear him above the usual bar noise. That's my kind of drummer, not someone who thinks he is Keith Moon reincarnated.

User Info Menu

Is this the wrong time (or thread) to say I don’t really enjoy much singing in general (with exceptions) and especially jazz singing in particular (with almost no exceptions)?

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Sassy - no cymbals.

Joe Pass sits this one out too.