Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I remember this broadcast

Jazz-funk-surreal-madness I never got into them, but thought they had potential. They soon went off into awful pop music. Pity.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

oh yeah...and despite whisperin bobs prelude, they never made many waves in the usa...they were produced by a fave tho-chris thomas- who did roxy music & the sex pistols

cheers

User Info Menu

I shall remain puzzled by the title of the show (is it a spoof? Something lost in translation?) but I like the proto-fusion. Couldn't make out a word from the (?) host. Waiting for Stevebol's more informed take.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I shall remain puzzled by the title of the show (is it a spoof? Something lost in translation?)
    The story given on Wikipedia sounds almost too good to be true:

The programme derived its name from a Tin Pan Alley phrase from years before. When they got the first pressing of a record they would play it to people they called the old greys – doormen in grey suits. Any song they could remember and whistle, having heard it just once or twice, had passed the old grey whistle test.

User Info Menu

yeah ck74, the host was nicknamed whispering bob harris for a reason!! that was his schtick...he needed subtitles!

he get's racist in a way that he couldn't ever do these days, with his appropriately enough "time to noodle" remark... and the show does as well by changing old grey to old gley...for the japanese band...

incidentally sadistic mika band name was a take-off of the plastic ono band

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I shall remain puzzled by the title of the show (is it a spoof? Something lost in translation?) but I like the proto-fusion. Couldn't make out a word from the (?) host. Waiting for Stevebol's more informed take.
    “Whispering” Bob Harris replaced Richard Williams, who was quieter still. Whistle Test was required viewing in the 1970s, the only regular programme on British television to present rock and other adult contemporary music. Harris wrote a very good autobiography. He was also parodied on Rutland Weekend Television:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    oh yeah...and despite whisperin bobs prelude, they never made many waves in the usa...they were produced by a fave tho-chris thomas- who did roxy music & the sex pistols

cheers
    Mika Fukui (the singer) divorced Kazuhiko Kato (the guitarist) and married Chris Thomas (the producer). That was the end of the band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah ck74, the host was nicknamed whispering bob harris for a reason!! that was his schtick...he needed subtitles!

he get's racist in a way that he couldn't ever do these days, with his appropriately enough "time to noodle" remark... and the show does as well by changing old grey to old gley...for the japanese band...

cheers
    That was the band’s schtick: Japanese culture as seen by the West; after all, it was their song title. And she takes photographs, like the stereotypical Japanese tourist. On the other hand, her knotted handkerchief is an appropriation of British working-class culture.

User Info Menu

The Old Grey Whistle Test was my university in my teens, where I encountered a lot of music you just could't find anywhere else. From experimental rock to jazz-rock to glam and punk, that programme was essential viewing.

The Sadistica Mika video just popped up on YT yesterday, and it brought back a few memories. The band could certainly play.

Neatomic - I confess I completely missed the racial slurs then and now. Times have changed, but I apparently am still not sharp enough to spot them. It just seems all so alien to me...but then again, I do come from Mars...

User Info Menu

I too used to watch it every week. I didn’t like everything, but it was great to see something other than the usual top-20 pop stuff.

I remember they even had Chick Corea and Return to Forever on it once, although I wasn’t into jazz then.

Re. the Mika band, I am sure they must have asked for the ‘Gley’ title themselves. Knowing the ethos of the programme (which was very respectful towards the musicians), I doubt the BBC would have done it otherwise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Re. the Mika band, I am sure they must have asked for the ‘Gley’ title themselves. Knowing the ethos of the programme (which was very respectful towards the musicians), I doubt the BBC would have done it otherwise.

Thx Graham .. I actually thought this myself but decided against posting it

User Info Menu

And John Peel's two hours a night....I still have the cassettes...

User Info Menu

Ah, Peelie!

User Info Menu

I heard John Peel play some Charlie Parker once, don’t remember him doing that very often.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarifications, gentlemen. I appreciate it. Here in the States we had "Night Flight" and "New Wave Theater" for our off-the-wall musical shenanigans. Netflix (or was it Amaxon Prime?) had NF on a few months back. Brought back memories of getting home from the gig and decompressing on the weekends. Too old for that now!

User Info Menu

they issued a few of best of the old grey whistle tests on dvd...great fun!

cheers

User Info Menu

I was given that for a birthday or Christmas present. Some fun things on it.

User Info Menu

Interesting - I had totally forgotten about this band, but the video appeared in my YT feed the day before this thread appeared.

Rob - what made you start this thread? Are our YT feeds somehow linked?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have spies watching your every move

User Info Menu

sadistic mika band gettin more attention in the last 2 days, then they got when they were around! haha

the power of the u-tube!!

cheers