The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's his favorite guitar?

Buddy Guy: I saw the late Guitar Slim play when I was still very young. That was the first time I saw a Strat. He had a 100-foot cord coming in the door, playing “I Done Got Old.” And I’m saying, “Is that a guitar? What the hell is that?” Later on, I played with a guy named Big Poppa [Tilley]. He had a little three-piece band, two guitars and drums, and he played a little harmonica. And he bought a Strat for me to play in his band.

That was the first time I got to play one. When I first came to Chicago, I had a Gibson Les Paul, but I was so in love with the Strat. So when the Les Paul got stolen, I got my first Strat, a ’57. One reason why I fell in love with the Strat back then was that acoustics and other guitars weren’t built so solid. If something happened, they could crack easy and all of that. Back then I couldn’t afford a new guitar if something happened to mine.

And I found out the Strat has a steel rod in the neck and it was a solid piece of wood, so if you drop it you might scratch it, but you couldn’t hurt it. That’s what made me fall in love with it. Plus, Leo Fender had that tone and that sound on it, man. So I got hooked with that experience.RL]

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gb10fortune
    What's his favorite guitar?

Buddy Guy: I saw the late Guitar Slim play when I was still very young. That was the first time I saw a Strat. He had a 100-foot cord coming in the door, playing “I Done Got Old.” And I’m saying, “Is that a guitar? What the hell is that?” Later on, I played with a guy named Big Poppa [Tilley]. He had a little three-piece band, two guitars and drums, and he played a little harmonica. And he bought a Strat for me to play in his band.

That was the first time I got to play one. When I first came to Chicago, I had a Gibson Les Paul, but I was so in love with the Strat. So when the Les Paul got stolen, I got my first Strat, a ’57. One reason why I fell in love with the Strat back then was that acoustics and other guitars weren’t built so solid. If something happened, they could crack easy and all of that. Back then I couldn’t afford a new guitar if something happened to mine.

And I found out the Strat has a steel rod in the neck and it was a solid piece of wood, so if you drop it you might scratch it, but you couldn’t hurt it. That’s what made me fall in love with it. Plus, Leo Fender had that tone and that sound on it, man. So I got hooked with that experience.RL]

User Info Menu

?????

i dont get it??

what does that have to do with george benson???...that's buddy guy talking about strats...he has his own polka dot sig model strat!

nice try tho!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

While there is at least one video of George playing a Strat, he's not well known for them. Buddy Guy, on the other hand, is well known for playing Strats. I got to see him once about 35 years ago at the University of Wisconsin- Lacrosse, playing on the lawn outside a dorm on a makeshift stage. What a great set! He was wailing as was his band. I don't know who the other guitarist was but he had some chops!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    While there is at least one video of George playing a Strat, he's not well known for them. Buddy Guy, on the other hand, is well known for playing Strats. I got to see him once about 35 years ago at the University of Wisconsin- Lacrosse, playing on the lawn outside a dorm on a makeshift stage. What a great set! He was wailing as was his band. I don't know who the other guitarist was but he had some chops!
    I got to see Buddy Guy once, at an outdoor concert. He was, as always, fantastic. I had hoped to get him to autograph my copy of his autobio, Damn Right I Got the Blues,*

but the line was interminable and the drive back was considerable.

* Terrific book, if you ever get the chance.