The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I love it when you stumble onto a real treasure. On a whim I bought this at a market & was completely blown away.
    Never heard Cal Collins before. There's some really burning tracks on this "Softly, as in a morning sunrise" is one & the ballads are gorgeous.
    I believe he plays a Gretsch... Which is great to hear in this context as the notes have a real snap & punchy attack which is great to hear in Jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

A few months later I stumbled onto another one in a bargain bin?? Absolute bargain I reckon.

User Info Menu

Great player. I caught him live at Bechet's, a club in NYC.

User Info Menu

I still have the LP Cross Country.

User Info Menu

Here's a nice extended interview with Cal:

User Info Menu

Love that album and love Cal. He should be more widely known within the tiny jazz guitar community.

Quote Originally Posted by gratay
    I love it when you stumble onto a real treasure. On a whim I bought this at a market & was completely blown away.
    Never heard Cal Collins before. There's some really burning tracks on this "Softly, as in a morning sunrise" is one & the ballads are gorgeous.
    I believe he plays a Gretsch... Which is great to hear in this context as the notes have a real snap & punchy attack which is great to hear in Jazz.

User Info Menu

I took a lesson with Cal many years ago. Great player and a really nice person.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I bought that same album--"Blues on My Mind"--about 40 years ago and it has long been a favorite. Found it in a used record store in Berkeley. Still have it!

I was stunned too! Why is Cal not better known?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I bought that same album--"Blues on My Mind"--about 40 years ago and it has long been a favorite. Found it in a used record store in Berkeley. Still have it!

I was stunned too! Why is Cal not better known?
    Anyone that was familiar with the recording coming from Concord should be aware of Cal Collins. I bought all of his Concord albums, just like I did the ones from Howard Alden.

Younger people may not be aware of Collins since there was a dispute with Concord and those albums were not released as CDs. I.e. sadly some of Cal's best recording are hard to come by. I had a friend convert all of my albums to a digital format, pops and all.

User Info Menu

My playlist may be nice to have for anyone that wants to listen. I get on Cal spells where he’s all I listen to for weeks on end...bout 43 tunes and some with Cal and Poole

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?l...IWsiL3U-A83wtP
    Last edited by BFrench; 01-25-2021 at 09:03 PM.

User Info Menu

This one is great, I don’t know if it ever made it to CD but someone has put the LP on youtube:

Track list:

00:00 By Myself
    02:34 Where Are You
    05:30 What Is This Thing Called Love
    09:10 Stairway To The Stars
    13:33 No Moon At All
    16:30 PS I Love You
    19:14 Sunrise, Sunset
    23:27 The Gypsy
    26:08 All The Things You Are
    30:11 The Nearness of you
    33:33 Route 66
    36:18 Jackson County Blues

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Great player. I caught him live at Bechet's, a club in NYC.
    What a treat! That would have been something

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    I took a lesson with Cal many years ago. Great player and a really nice person.
    What an honour,... I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Love that album and love Cal. He should be more widely known within the tiny jazz guitar community.
    Ain't that the truth!

Surprising when some slip through the net unnoticed... Ed Bickert is another one who should have been more widely known

User Info Menu

Just checked my LP closet...I guess I liked it so much I bought it twice!! Wore the first one out!

Cal Collins-img_4890-jpg

User Info Menu

Cal and Jimmy:

User Info Menu

A piano player I used to play with who knew him, said he was known as a string player. He could play any instrument with strings-banjo, mandolin, violin etc... bluegrass.

User Info Menu

Wish I could find this whole album...

Last edited by BFrench; 01-26-2021 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Wish I could find this whole album...

I'm going to hunt me down a copy of Milestones. Loving the sound of that!