The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Every now and then I stumble onto another album with Barry Galbraith in the band. Nice lines and tone - sounds like a small Gibson tube amp - and some nice four-to-the-bar comping. I’ve always loved Braff’s velvety tone and swinging melodic lines. Bonus: Bob Brookmeyer on piano (?!).

Do you have any favorite Galbraith sideman appearances?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

sgcim hipped me to this one awhile back

great lp

john benson brooks-alabama concerto

John Benson Brooks - piano, arranger
    Cannonball Adderley - alto saxophone
    Art Farmer - trumpet
    Barry Galbraith - guitar
    Milt Hinton - bass

cheers

ps- here's older similar thread started by our old pal irez...too bad many linked utube vids are no longer, but great info (& choices) nevertheless...

Barry Galbraith
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-21-2021 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

The old guys swang like crazy - with or without soloing ...

User Info Menu

The Hal McKusick Quartet's 'East Coast Jazz' has some of my favourite Barry Galbraith.

User Info Menu

And of course Sheila Jordan's 'Portrait of Sheila' is a masterclass in accompanying a vocalist. The first vocal album on Blue Note!

User Info Menu

as a leader......

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

under Kenyon Hopkins w/Phil Woods

User Info Menu

Johnny Carisi's guitar choir playing "Old Man River" at 27:15.

Okay, not exactly a Galbraith feature, but he's in a guitar choir with Jimmy Raney and Billy Bauer! They don't do things like this record anymore.

User Info Menu

Nice suggestions in this thread! Amazon now has more of my money.

User Info Menu

This is great - keep ‘em coming!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    under Kenyon Hopkins w/Phil Woods

For the movie soundtrack, Billy Bauer played guitar, according to the Jazz on the Screen data base web site. But Hopkins could have called BG for the record they made of the music, after the film came out.

Guitar and the Wind has got to be one of my fave albums of all-time! Eddie Costa, Bobby Jaspar, Urbie Green. Tasteful arrangements by Billy Byers and Al Cohn, and great playing by Barry. It's the type of album where every note is perfect, and the music is presented so musically, I could listen to it anytime.

Another album we've probably mentioned in our other threads on Barry is George Russell's Jazz Workshop LP, where Barry is written for like he's a horn player for the entire album, and plays things that would have any other guitar player pack it in it's case after the first measure.
    Barry was such a gifted reader, that Roger Borys told me Barry would usually have to help the horn players with their parts on most sessions!
    Barry also studied with George Russell, so he understood the music on a deeper level than most musicians. The same was true of the best players of that period; Phil Woods studied with Peter Menin, Jimmy Raney studied composition with Hall Overton, Bill Evans studied at Mannes, and so on.
    Another great album to look for is Bobby Jaspar's album "Clarinetescipade", where Barry contributes another tune called "Barry's Tune", which is different than the great song by Johnny Carisi, also called Barry's Tune, where Barry is featured as the soloist with a big band.

User Info Menu

BTW, the Barry's Tune with a big band is from the album called "Into the Hot" that was "presented"by Gil Evans, although what he has to do with the album is a mystery to me.
    Johnny Carisi wrote it and conducted it, and Barry plays the schlitz out of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    and Barry plays the schlitz out of it.

cheers

User Info Menu

"Guitar and the Wind has got to be one of my fave albums of all-time"

Me too, it took me a long time to find a copy pre Ebay. Some of those lps from the Decca "Moods" series are pretty tough to locate, like "Take Your Pick" w Pisano/Bean, they probably didn't press all that many copies to begin with. (though the Pisano/Bean has since been reissued on cd)
    My copy of Wind looked unplayed but has an annoying few loud pops right at the end of "Love", my favorite track, but at least it doesn't skip. It was reissued on an Oscar Pettiford cd "Manhatten Serenade" but the prices for that are through the roof. Maybe one day Wind will be reissued (it has in Japan, but again big $)

ps my copy of the Hustler soundtrack lp lists Galbraith. I never questioned it because it sounds like him too.

User Info Menu

"Guitar and the Wind has got to be one of my fave albums of all-time"

Me too, it took me a long time to find a copy pre Ebay. Some of those lps from the Decca "Moods" series are pretty tough to locate, like "Take Your Pick" w Pisano/Bean, they probably didn't press all that many copies to begin with. (though the Pisano/Bean has since been reissued on cd)
    My copy of Wind looked unplayed but has an annoying few loud pops right at the end of "Love", my favorite track, but at least it doesn't skip. It was reissued on an Oscar Pettiford cd "Manhatten Serenade" but the prices for that are through the roof. Maybe one day Wind will be reissued (it has in Japan, but again big $)

ps my copy of the Hustler soundtrack lp lists Galbraith. I never questioned it because it sounds like him too.
    It probably is Barry. They recorded it after the film came out, and Barry was first call for everything, so maybe they couldn't get BB for the separate session afterwards.
    I had "Wind" on vinyl, but I found the Pettiford Manhattan Jazz Septette on sale at a discount place, and got it for under $20. I was looking for that record for years, because it had Costa and Galbraith on it. I see a lot of tunes on it, and I'm so excited about finally finding the Septette record, I didn't even realize it was a double CD set with "Wind" as the second CD!!! So I take it home, and I found out I have two records with Costa and Galbraith on it!
    As it turned out the Pettiford album was kind of meant to be a dance oriented album, and Barry mainly plays rhythm on it. The only thing I listen to is one cut where they let Costa go nuts on it.

I guess it's been long enough for the wound to heal, so I can ask you about the Birds' TANK in the Washington game. Who and WHY?

User Info Menu

Hah, supposedly to move from 9 in the draft to 6, not that it matters, GM Howie Roseman will screw up the pick regardless.
    Birds are a mess just 3 yrs after winning the Supe and fired Pederson last week. Hired a new young guy today. Don't worry, even though big blue was playing better down the stretch doubt if they woulda made much noise in the playoffs this year, but at least you'd have had another game to watch. NY players and fans were cursing the Eagles but everyone down here said, "all you had to do was win one more game and you wouldn't have to worry about it"

ps Eddie was a monster player, but one of those cats that's almost completely forgotten today.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=wintermoon;1092720]Hah, supposedly to move from 9 in the draft to 6, not that it matters, GM Howie Roseman will screw up the pick regardless.
    Birds are a mess just 3 yrs after winning the Supe and fired Pederson last week. Hired a new young guy today. Don't worry, even though big blue was playing better down the stretch doubt if they woulda made much noise in the playoffs this year, but at least you'd have had another game to watch. NY players and fans were cursing the Eagles but everyone down here said, "all you had to do was win one more game and you wouldn't have to worry about it"

ps Eddie was a monster player, but one of those cats that's almost completely forgotten today.[/QUOTE

Yeah, Washington was one and out, and I doubt Big Blue could've done better, but it was fun watching Brady give it to Washington!
    Jones had to stay in the pocket, because of his injuries, and without his run threat the Giants were pretty much done.
    When Pederson didn't try to kick a FG when they were three points behind, and 4th and goal at the five, after running the same play three times in a row, I knew something was up. Then Hurts didn't come out, and even Chris Collingsworth was saying, "Now I wouldn't do that!"
    No way!!"He even got Al Michaelsh to agree with him!

User Info Menu

Get a thread!

[QUOTE=sgcim;1092723]
    Hah, supposedly to move from 9 in the draft to 6, not that it matters, GM Howie Roseman will screw up the pick regardless.

ps Eddie was a monster player, but one of those cats that's almost completely forgotten today.[/QUOTE

Yeah, Washington was one and out, and I doubt Big Blue could've done better, but it was fun watching Brady give it to Washington!
    Jones had to stay in the pocket, because of his injuries, and without his run threat the Giants were pretty much done.
    When Pederson didn't try to kick a FG when they were three points behind, and 4th and goal at the five, after running the same play three times in a row, I knew something was up. Then Hurts didn't come out, and even Chris Collingsworth was saying, "Now I wouldn't do that!"
    No way!!"He even got Al Michaelsh to agree with him!

User Info Menu

A bit late with my response and there are a lot of great recommendations here.

I've been curating obscure BG material for a while. One that is still available is "Sweet But Hot" by Jimmy Hamilton and His All Stars that features great Galbraith solos, comping and chordal playing (my favorite track on this is What Am I Here For).

One really obscure album that is surprisingly available on CD is The Michael Coldin Septet's "Silhouettes in Jazz," where BG has ample solo space and features plenty of great comping. The group is a bit odd in that Coldin plays harpsichord (where's Lurch?), a harpist, BG on guitar, Urbie Green on trombone and Jerome Richardson on flute/sax. I was suspect at first but it's actually pretty cool.

The last one that's really hard to find is Aaron Sachs Quintette on Bethlehem, that has plenty of BG content. SGCIM might be able to comment more on this one.

Enjoy

John Galich

User Info Menu

there's another I bought a long time ago, "The Rhythm Section" on Epic w/Milt Hinton, Osie Johnson and Hank Jones. Not too hard to find if you dig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmgalich
    A bit late with my response and there are a lot of great recommendations here.

I've been curating obscure BG material for a while. One that is still available is "Sweet But Hot" by Jimmy Hamilton and His All Stars that features great Galbraith solos, comping and chordal playing (my favorite track on this is What Am I Here For).

One really obscure album that is surprisingly available on CD is The Michael Coldin Septet's "Silhouettes in Jazz," where BG has ample solo space and features plenty of great comping. The group is a bit odd in that Coldin plays harpsichord (where's Lurch?), a harpist, BG on guitar, Urbie Green on trombone and Jerome Richardson on flute/sax. I was suspect at first but it's actually pretty cool.

The last one that's really hard to find is Aaron Sachs Quintette on Bethlehem, that has plenty of BG content. SGCIM might be able to comment more on this one.

Enjoy

John Galich
    Aaron recorded with both Raney and Galbraith
    . He gave me a copy of the Raney one. I'm not sure about the BG one. He also gave me a recording he made of him playing live at a club in Westchester with Joe Puma and a bass player.
    The first time we played together, he asked me the question he always asked guitar players when he first met them, "Whatever became of Dick Garcia?"

User Info Menu

there's another I bought a long time ago, "The Rhythm Section" on Epic w/Milt Hinton, Osie Johnson and Hank Jones. Not too hard to find if you dig.

Those guys were the Larry Carlton, Steve Gadd, Chuck Rainey, Bob James of the 50s. I read Milt "The Judge" Hinton's autobiography. He said they played on close to a thousand recordings. I have some of that record from the web, but I never got the whole thing. Maybe Fresh Sound has it on CD...

User Info Menu

posted this to the listening now thread the other day

barry g with jimmy smith!... Bashin': The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith

some line up!

Tracks 1-4

Jimmy Smith – organ
    Oliver Nelson – arranger, conductor
    Phil Woods, Jerry Dodgion – alto saxophone
    Bob Ashton, Babe Clarke – tenor saxophone
    George Barrow – baritone saxophone
    Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, Doc Severinsen, Joe Wilder – trumpet
    Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green, Britt Woodman – trombone