User Info Menu

Hello all

I have dropped in occasionally for years and finally registered.

This is a song I recorded with Allan Holdsworth in 1986 and recently re-released. I decided to do a video tribute to Allan as I’ve been thinking of him lately. He was a friend and mentor. I miss him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Signed up just to reply to your post. Allan's guitar mix on this is probably one of my favorites from the period. Somewhere between Atavachron and Sand with a front row seat in front of the amp. Wish others in the electro community had the ear and foresight to showcase his lyricism and endless creativity over a spare track as you did here. Jon Luc's 'Nostalgia' is another great Terminator-era track. Allan's attack and phrasing on solo entry to 'Fast Impressions' shows how much command and expression he could wrench from the synthaxe when the "space helmet" was securely on. You can really hear the fatness in that Oberheim patch with the modulation of the breath controller. He meant every note and made them all count. Would be great to hear Allan get more exposure in the electronic music community. Was curious about your collaborations with him since picking up the Trans-Atlantic LP at a shop some years ago. In 2016 I was at the pub with Allan and asked him about that period. He enthusiastically recalled 'Soldier of Love'. Always wished there was an instrumental version of that and 'Playback'. Any chance of other works/solos that got left on the cutting floor from those days? Thanks again for procuring the genius of one of the most important composers of, well, ever.

Working with Allan and also Jon Anderson from Yes was a dream for me as I was and continue to be a huge prog/ fusion fan. But as a producer,composer, artist I worked in many different genres. I was also into electronic music and bought my first Moog synthesizer around the time Kraftwerk’s debut. Having lived in France for three years in the early 70s I was exposed to bands like Gong (saw them live in Paris with Bill Bruford on drums!) Soft Machine, Can and Magma. I never lost my Prog music roots but quickly learned to be successful in the music business you needed commercial product. Because I was having commercial success at the time I was able to help Allan and got him a record deal with Enigma. I was insanely busy with so many projects during that period that working again with Allan got pushed to the back burner sadly and Allan was touring to support his records. It seemed we only connected at the Namm show or if we ran into each other at the record label. I had no tracks of Allan in the can because he erased everything before he left the studio every time we worked, thinking his outtakes were crap!!! But I have a great story about Allan’s brief time as a member of Cream!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrade
    Hello all

I have dropped in occasionally for years and finally registered.

This is a song I recorded with Allan Holdsworth in 1986 and recently re-released. I decided to do a video tribute to Allan as I’ve been thinking of him lately. He was a friend and mentor. I miss him.
    Great video clip!
    Jazzingly
    kris