The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Messengers are one of my all time all time fave bands, especially the incarnations w/ Lee Morgan. I'd seen another video from this tour but not this Paris concert. An interesting time in the Messengers evolution, a very short lived lineup [off the top of my head I think they did one tour and recorded one lp, 'S'make It, on Limelight records w the great John Gilmore tenor, John Hicks piano and Victor Sproles bass] This marked the end of about 10 yrs of the hard bop era. In watching/listening here you can see the members were becoming influenced by modal jazz. For example check out Lee's albums from the mid to the late 60s, they're leaning modal as were many other musicians, a big departure from the sound of the Sidewinder lp only 2 yrs prior in '63 [check out the tune beginning the second set here @ 26:00] But clearly the leader is diggin' things, so....and that's a pretty bright tempo to Blues March to take things out.

Last edited by wintermoon; 01-18-2021 at 12:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

wm-nice to see the john gilmore salute...of course he was a sun ra stalwart...but early on was a fave of and influence on john coltrane!...

i'll have to look for that blakey album!

cheers

ps- gilmore had played with blakey on this 1957 hard blowing release...a good one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    wm-nice to see the john gilmore salute...of course he was a sun ra stalwart...but early on was a fave of and influence on john coltrane!...

i'll have to look for that blakey album!

cheers

ps- gilmore had played with blakey on this 1957 hard blowing release...a good one

Yes, it seems from my small collection of Sun Ra sides that the entire reason for the Arkestra's existence was to let Gilmore blow!

User Info Menu

He only has about 1/3 the number of drums of the usual fusion band.

Great performance! The JMs are always appreciated, especially with Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley. Benny Golson and Freddie Hubbard also played in the group in the years '59-64.

I just found out that in 1966 Chuck Mangione played trumpet for the group with Keith Jarrett on piano--mind blown!

"i'll have to look for that blakey album!"

I just pulled it out NA, I'd forgotten Curtis Fuller was on it as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

I just pulled it out NA, I'd forgotten Curtis Fuller was on it as well.

even better!...big curtis fuller fan...& with lee morgan...like on tranes blue train lp...only with gilmore!

ck74...as per sun ra...yeah gilmore got much blowing time!...but sun ra always had some great players involved...pat patrick, marshall allen, julian priester, ronnie boykins, don cherry, ahmed abdullah etc etc....and many stayed with him for decades!...also sun ra himself was no slouch at the keys (of all kinds) ...schooled on fletcher henderson, duke and fats waller, he took their ideas to saturn! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Same line up in London .

Lee Morgan was a musical god and if anyone disagrees they will have to fight me ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    He only has about 1/3 the number of drums of the usual fusion band.

Great performance! The JMs are always appreciated, especially with Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley. Benny Golson and Freddie Hubbard also played in the group in the years '59-64....
    !
    Not to mention all the great piano players and bassists, but yeah a veritable hard bop school that also spawned 2 of my faves not mentioned Jackie McLean and Wayne Shorter.
    Here's the Morgan / Shorter lineup live in Tokyo 1961, both in top form!