The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Someone the other day posted on Youtube a 15-minute clip of Ed Bickert playing in 1997 with Don Thompson and Barry Elmes. Professionally recorded, broadcast on BET at some point, nice stuff. Looks like it was a special segment of a larger concert.

Anyway, they start with Funk in Deep Freeze by Hank Mobley, then play a sweet-sounding waltz that is familiar to me, but I can't identify it. It's in Rodgers and Hammerstein territory, and starts at 8:47.

Name that tune.

EDIT: Turns out this clip isn't entirely new to youtube. Lower-quality uploads of the same broadcast have been on Youtube for a while.
    Last edited by 44lombard; 01-16-2021 at 02:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm stumped by the tune, but, God, could that man play beautifully.

User Info Menu

Up Jumped Spring (Freddie Hubbard)
    Last edited by pcjazz; 01-16-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added composer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Thank you. I have to say that while I am a big fan of Ed, I am not crazy about the sound he produces on the single lines here; the chordal sound is fine but the tone of the single lines sounds thin to me.

Thanks a million...I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Don must have like this tune. His protégé Diana Panton, a vocalist, recorded it in 2017 with Don on piano, bass, and vibes.

Maybe Freddie Hubbard should have taken a little detour and written a show like The Fantasticks! This isn't the first kind of song that comes to my mind when I think about his work. Freddie contained multitudes.

User Info Menu

Oliver Jones recorded it several times, often at fast tempo.

Now someone on Youtube tips me off its actually "One Morning in May", though Bickert quotes Hubbard's tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Now someone on Youtube tips me off its actually "One Morning in May", though Bickert quotes Hubbard's tune.

The Hoagy Carmichael tune isn’t a waltz, though:

Although in our part of the world spring rarely jumps up before a morning in May.

User Info Menu

It's definitely not UJS.

The Hoagy Carmichael tune isn’t a waltz, though:
    Digging around a little further...the 1933 Hoagy recording seems to be the 1st recording, and as noted, it's not a waltz. I also have a 1953 Ralph Sharon version in a brisk 4/4. Carol Sloane's 1993 vocal version also a 4/4, as was Bill Charlap's 2002 piano trio recording.

However, every time Don Thompson plays it, it seems to be a waltz. He's on Jim Hall's 1977 recording of the tune on "Commitment", and Bickert's "Out of the Past" version, recorded around the same time. And the 1997 concert recording that led me to start this thread. So I'd guess Thompson liked playing the tune as a waltz and we can thank him for bringing out the tune's secret 3/4 heartbeat.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have a lead sheet for the Carmichael tune? Not in any of my books. The melody in the A section seems sufficiently similar to that in Up Jumped Spring to suggest that Hubbard took some inspiration from it for his jazz waltz (as the titles suggest) --- the Hubbard 8-bar bridge is another story though.

User Info Menu

Aside: when I see the hex key taped to the lower horn of Ed's guitar I know that all's right with the world!