The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I listened to Midnight Blue - for the 1000th time LOL- on my drive home from band practice last night. Just have to say, I own several Burrell albums, including Live at the Vanguard, but there's something special about Midnight Blue (that's no secret LOL). All the jazz guitar I've listened to, over all the years, and Midnight Blue may just be my all-time favorite. Even on it's 1000th play. Even with mostly pentatonics. It's something special.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great record. Tremendous sound---a great recording.
    And what a set of tunes!

A favorite:

User Info Menu

Yes - absolutely great album. My first jazz guitar album long before I got into jazz guitar at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Yes - absolutely great album. My first jazz guitar album long before I got into jazz guitar at all.
    My first jazz guitar record, too. A classic, still listen to it regularly after over 40 years.

Interestingly, it’s my wife’s favorite jazz guitar album, and she’s not a musician. She probably listens to it a couple times a month or more.

This is my second favorite KB album, gorgeous tone:

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - still the best-302a13c0-b026-47e3-ad5a-ebb9a53ff09b-jpeg

My third favorite, it’s like your sitting right there in the basement:

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - still the best-abcac417-f3ce-4167-b0f0-f0c3efd98dcb-jpeg

User Info Menu

of all the great blue note lps released, (many cut at van gelders!) the president of the label-alfred lion- always said that midnight blue was his fave...i guess the fact that it sold well probably helped as well! hah

classic album..burrells tone is so great on it..and stanley turrentines tenor sax the perfect fit

cheers

User Info Menu

Was he playing the L5 with CC pickups on this? Through a Fender Tweed Deluxe?

Great playing, great guitar tone and great sound on the record. Produced by Alfred Lion, engineered by Rudy van Gelder.

My role model.

User Info Menu

prior thoughts on mb gear

Kenny Burrell tone and gear (Midnight Blue)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Was he playing the L5 with CC pickups on this? Through a Fender Tweed Deluxe?
    That does seem to be the consensus, not just here but on other guitar forums as well.

I have so many favorite KB albums, but this may be the quintessential album of his? I love it!

User Info Menu

This one is my all time favorite jazz guitar album. Never get tired of listening to it!

Since it's Saturday, well, at least for me:

User Info Menu

"Midnight Blue is much like an acting performance by Steve McQueen or Gary Cooper, where the strength of the work comes from the subtlety and nuance of the players practicing the magic of their craft."

I'll never listen to "Midnight Blue" quite the same way again . Good line, Campilongo. Jim should write a piece in homage to this album and call it "High Noon Blues".

User Info Menu

Everyone was in the zone for that record for certain. Everything from every musician's tone to choice of material to the content of everyone's solos was spot on in the same way everyone on "kind of Blue" was in the sweet spot. I'm not a big Burrell fan per se but this record had a strong early impact on me.

User Info Menu

The title track was the first solo I ever learned, great album.
    Saw an interview with KB where he said it took him decades to learn to accept the plaudits for that album,
    'it's just simple blues, man' - he wanted people to like 'Guitar Forms' with all its' variety.
    He also said 'Soul Lament' was the only time he ever composed in the studio, he asked Van Gelder to hit record & 'it just came out'. Lots of classical musicians apparently ask for the music for that track - 'take it off the record...'

Gotta go play it now.

User Info Menu

Go to the authority on all things Burrell:

kenny burrel es - Gibson Custom - Gibson Brands Forums

User Info Menu

The guitar likely used on Midnight Blue, an L5 with a CC

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - still the best-ecf94799-a951-4294-8067-625ec20f9ae7-jpeg
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - still the best-48f6d8b4-07fd-491a-8e18-2645ddcc1e0a-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - still the best-edfd98f6-66d9-48da-b1b4-252d38e4dc8f-jpeg Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - still the best-517355b5-0741-4ede-9ab9-7f0cdd40897f-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Great record. Tremendous sound---a great recording.
    And what a set of tunes!

A favorite:

That run at 1:35 to 1:45 gets me every time...

User Info Menu

I have around sixty KB recordings, but Midnight Blue was the first. I was already a Wes and Barney fan; Kenny instantly joined them.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 01-20-2021 at 05:08 PM.