The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I've been listening to Bireli and Benson pretty much nonstop over the past few months, but came across James Muller's name when perusing this site. My goodness can he play! Great ideas, cool phrasing, and has a nice style where he doesn't pick every note. I'd forgotten how nice than can sound.

His most recent solo recording is called Kaboom but seems to available on CD only--no paid downloads that I can find. Does anyone know of a paid download site where it's available? Thanks!

Joe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    Joe,

I picked up one called 'Thrum' from itunes but I haven't found 'Kaboom' on any pay site. 'Thrum' is nice and I have given it quite a few spins. It is a fairly straight-ahead quarter disc with some very nice tunes and good playing.

If you want some of his fusion work, check out the disc called 'Scream' by Chad Wackerman. He sounds so much like Holdsworth at times it is scary. Amazing he can go from straight ahead to fusion and play both like a monster.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I have "Thrum" (which is playing now) and "All Out", and I love both, although I favor the latter just a bit. I also found Chad's "Legs Eleven" which is okay. James appears on a lot of Sean Wayland's stuff, and I bought three from Sean's site. Lots of good stuff there. I agree--James seems to transition effortlessly across genres, but it's his more straight ahead playing that stands out (to me, at least).

I'll probably bite the bullet and spend the $30 plus shipping for Kaboom. He has links to samples on his website, as well as prices per song, but no digital download. Strange. I've emailed him and Wayland about it but haven't received a response.

Joe

User Info Menu

sean wayland is a monster. his piano trio record with matt penman and jochen rueckert is excellent. i believe it is called "luriline." "expensive habit" is a full ensemble record of wayland's that is criminally underrated. james muller appears on many of the tracks as well as some great sax players including will vinson and i think seamus blake also.

Agreed. I have "expensive habit" and just picked up "Australian Rhythm Changes" and both are excellent. He sells his music through his website--great value, too.

Napster! Napster has Kaboom. Paid the subscription price ($15 for three months) then downloaded it. Great stuff.

Joe

User Info Menu

Muller is indeed great, I hear even Scofield thinks so!

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    Sean Wayland is a monster.
    Not to hijack, but Sean has some extremely interesting instructional material on his site for $20. Basically a few hours of lessons with video and pdf's on really useful (and advanced) topics. WELL worth many times the cost.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

Zombie thread alert!

Anyone know what Muller is up to? His website hasn't been updated since 2009, and another is under construction. No new material that I can find, either.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

User Info Menu

www.jamesmuller.com
    Recently updated.
    His stuff with Mark Costa is really nice too.

Thanks, Jbear. I'll check out the Costa stuff. But where do you see the website is updated? It reports the current date, but discography ends in 2006 and upcoming/recent gigs and update notifications in 07. Same as it's been for years. See here (www.jamesmuller.com). Another page says it's under construction.

Joe

User Info Menu

You're right...I didn't really study the site. At the top is says Sat. July 20, 2013, but I guess it just shows the current date.
    I got nuthin'
    Still...the guy digs his $300 Squier Tele...that you gotta love!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Ha! As soon as I saw this thread being necroed, I thought of posting that very link!

One of my favorite players ever!

I transcribed several bits of his solo in that rhythm change tune from this show....I need to re-visit some of that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsteele
    sean wayland is a monster. his piano trio record with matt penman and jochen rueckert is excellent. i believe it is called "luriline." "expensive habit" is a full ensemble record of wayland's that is criminally underrated. james muller appears on many of the tracks as well as some great sax players including will vinson and i think seamus blake also.

I know Wayland! Played with him last weekend!
    I have seen James play with Wayland's group, I really like his playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    I know Wayland! Played with him last weekend!
    I have seen James play with Wayland's group, I really like his playing.
    Any clips from that gig J? Bet you guys sounded great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Any clips from that gig J? Bet you guys sounded great.
    Hey no clips...

James Muller is a fantastic guitarist. One of my favorites. I would recommend listening to Sun Pictures by Linda Oh. Great quartet album with Ben Wendel, James Muller, and Ted Poor.

User Info Menu

James is a fabulous player who deserves a lot more attention. The fact that he stays in Australia and hasn't played much abroad hasn't helped much in that regard.