The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Despite being giants themselves, all of the guys here are in awe of Ellington and w/ good reason, who wouldn't?
    Ray had worked w/Duke and Bellson was in Duke's band a couple yrs, but I think this was the first time Joe Pass had recorded w him and he seems especially careful, you can just see the respect they have for him but soon they're letting loose and jammin! Cool video...

Last edited by wintermoon; 01-13-2021 at 07:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Four of the greatest, indeed, from when giants walked the Earth.

User Info Menu

Always loved the Big 4 album that came out of this.

User Info Menu

Thanks - got the album but I've never seen this...

There's a Joe Pass interview where he says he was often uncomfortable at being
    booked for record dates with his idols, Norman Granz pep talks were required.

User Info Menu

Worth watching for the sideburns alone.

Seriously, for me Pablo Records (and Concord, too) releases were an invaluable resource as a listener and budding jazz guitarist (I started playing jazz in the early ‘80s). They document some of the great musicians of the swing era in their late life (Basie, Duke) and, for us guitarists, really put Joe Pass on the map, even though he had been around for awhile. The Virtuoso records, the duets with NHØP, Ella, and others. All the great trio records and the sideman stuff, like here with Duke. Thanks, Norman Granz.

User Info Menu

Oh, Goody!

I'll just savor this, soon.

I too have the album but have not seen this.

Thank You!