The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

interesting interview with gene bertoncini...he talks about taking lessons, as a kid, with johnny smith, how music is a gift from the gods, working with buddy rich and being asked by wayne shorter to be involved in the first weather report

gene has played on so many great recordings...often being the accompanying guitarist for a bigger name...but equally talented, if not moreso

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Doesn't typically get mentioned w the greats, but the greats and people w ears know better.
    A guitar player's guitar player.

User Info Menu

First time I heard Gene was in NJ at the Meadowlands racetrack. They had a ‘great guitars’ sort of show with Gene, Tal, and Harry Leahy. Outside, by the track (August). Gene plays as gracefully as he is to talk to. The three of them great players and great folks.

User Info Menu

Gene is a gem. A true gentleman, and great player, and humble and modest as can be. When I was producing shows in Boston, I hired him several times, and while he wasn't a great draw, he always gave 100% and remained gracious. He invited me to play at one of his gigs, and was always eager to show me his latest arrangement when we got together. His work as a sideman is stellar, and his work as a leader or soloist really the pinnacle of harmonic creativity.

User Info Menu

I had the opportunity to study three times with Gene at one of the Tritone jazz camps. He is a warm and kind man, compassionate and also quite funny. He seems to take great delight in getting to know people.

Gene also a highly inspirational teacher. I watched him generate a six piece arrangement for a "guitar orchestra" off the top of his head that was really quite remarkable, writing an intro and shout chorus in front of us. It was fascinating watching him start with a basic conception ("let's do something with the harmonic minor scale") and flesh it out in a matter of 10 minutes to a really interesting intro. Then, with the shout chorus, he took a motif reminiscent of Grieg and turned it into an alternate melody over the changes (sort of "Peer Gynt" over "Black Orpheus"). He demonstrated the value of having listened widely to many kinds of music and being able to integrate that into performing jazz. Heck, he was even able to talk with me about Jerry Garcia's playing.

Gene was also very generous in demonstrating his approach to arranging solo guitar pieces, and played several private sets for the guitar students. It made for a wonderful week.

User Info Menu

I think hidden in Gene's heart there's a brilliant, sensitive singer like Shirley Horn.

His gift playing guitar, but he really has a talent for putting across songs like "How Are Things in Glocca Morra" and "Streets of Laredo" (a.k.a. Theme from Bang the Drum Slowly), not to mention his Nessun dorma" arrangement. Not the usual post-Charlie Christian stuff!

He did the usual jazz guitar and bebop stuff well too, but for me he stands out from the pack when he's making his nylon string sing, and when he's putting together those arrangements with the harmonic surprises that feel almost like little Eric Satie gems.