The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

A gem. Roberto Menescal and Eddy Palermo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The bassist in the Palermo-Menescal album (post # 26) is Adriano Giffoni. Here with Nelson Faria:

User Info Menu

Eddy Palermo playing "Batida Diferente" on a Gibson L5 Studio:

User Info Menu

As a brazilian guitar player, i'd like to recommend you to listen to the album "Toquinho e Paulinho Nogueira". It is a beautiful album from two brazilian guitar players:

https://open.spotify.com/album/00KZUsDSNUYLv1C5tvQ0lM

Cheers from Brazil

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

My favorite and I can’t believe it hasn’t been mentioned yet!

Brazilian Guitar / Jazz - what are iconic “must listen” albums / artist?-89f919e8-1e52-4553-9919-1deae3d9d80e-jpeg

User Info Menu

It doesn’t start at Bossa of course… for chorinhos this album (this is one track from it) is definitive. Featuring the legendary

Not sure if it’s jazz per se, but it’s related

this album is pretty important for Bossa. The purist thing imo.

Had anyone mentioned guinga?

Also I like this

plenty of jazz guitar on this one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Eddy Palermo playing "Batida Diferente" on a Gibson L5 Studio:

Sorry, but Eddy was born in Italy

User Info Menu

Brazilian musician Christian Opens on a Weissenborn lap steel.

User Info Menu

He wasn't Brazilian, but Charlie Byrd had a huge role in popularizing Bossa Nova in the US. He's one of my favorite guitarists, and he could play bossa with the best.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Check out Nelson Faria's YouTube channel: Um Café lá em Casa

I also just made a video on Nelson's book the Brazilian Guitar Book where I go over some guitarist and different styles of Brazilian music

UM CAFÉ LÁ EM CASA

305K subscribers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikko Hilden
    Check out Nelson Faria's YouTube channel: Um Café lá em Casa

I also just made a video on Nelson's book the Brazilian Guitar Book where I go over some guitarist and different styles of Brazilian music

UM CAFÉ LÁ EM CASA

305K subscribers
    Thanks, Mikko. I enjoy you videos and have learned a lot from them. I have this book and I’m looking forward to digging in to it while studying your video.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this!

This is the single best guitar book I ever bought. It covers specifics of how to play various grooves, with the examples drawn from well known recordings -- and transcribed accurately. You can actually learn how the guitar style is played for each groove. It's a great springboard for getting into Brazilian styles.

And, the video brings it to life.

Nice job!

User Info Menu

Thirty-nine posts and no one has mentioned Rosa Dos Passos? Here's Rosa doing Jobim's "Voce' Vai Ver."
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Rosa Passos was my introduction to post Jobim Brazilian music. Morada Do Samba, I think, was the name of the album.

She just played Dizzy's in NYC for 3 nights with Chico Pinheiro, Rafa Barata and Helio Alves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Rosa Passos was my introduction to post Jobim Brazilian music. Morada Do Samba, I think, was the name of the album.

She just played Dizzy's in NYC for 3 nights with Chico Pinheiro, Rafa Barata and Helio Alves.
    Sorry, RP!
    You have great taste!
    Marinero

P.S. Remember . . . when the hair becomes grey . . . the brain cells die . . . What a difference a day makes! M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Thirty-nine posts and no one has mentioned Rosa Dos Passos? Here's Rosa doing Jobim's "Voce' Vai Ver."
    Marinero

I did! Album: Entre Amigos - YouTube

User Info Menu

The OP asked about Brazilian Guitar. Rosa plays guitar beautifully but, for some reason, I still think of her as a singer/leader.

Has anybody mentioned Joao Bosco?

Filo Machado?

Dori Cayymi?

Oscar Castro Neves?

Baden Powell?

I'll save vocalists for another thread (not that this list doesn't include guitarists who sing too)
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 07-16-2022 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The OP asked about Brazilian Guitar. Rosa plays guitar beautifully but, for some reason, I still think of her as a singer/leader.

Has anybody mentioned Joao Bosco?

Filo Machado?

Dori Cayymi?

Oscar Castro Neves?

Baden Powell?

I'll save vocalists for another thread (not that this list doesn't include guitarists who sing too)
    Hi, RP,
    Great list, RP! However, Rosa's style of playing, for me, reflects the true Folk nature of Bossa where it was sung/played by everyday people in homes, streets, and corner cafes. Her style reflects the feel of that music from its purest roots.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Netflix had the documentary "This Is Bossa Nova" and may still have it available. It is definitely worth a watch and interviews many of the originators of the style. It made me realize that in Brazil bossa nova is a music played in backyards and homes along the lines of a folk music rather than a concert music.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campos
    Hi, C,
    Beautfiul, simple guitar work. It is my opinion that the most creative guitar music today is emanating from Brazil. It is natural, cultural, and steeped in the tradition of the Spanish/Classical guitar. Brazilian musicians(past/present) are too numerous to mention but Jobim, Ben, Gilberto, Mendes, Villa Lobos, Purim, da Costa, de Moraes, Pixinguinha, Lopes, Nascimento, the Assad Brothers, and perhaps, one of the greatest living musicians and creative interpreters of music today . . . Yamandu Costa. The only other place where such creativity is apparent is in Eastern Europe and the wealth of talent among Classical guitarists and pianists.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Here are the Assad Brothers that I was fortunate to see play live when in Illinois. Truly, guitar magic.
    Marinero