The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

I’d like to listen to some more Brazilian Guitar / Jazz.

I’ve only listen to some Baden Powell and haven’t explored much.

What are some “must listen” / iconic / landmark Brazilian jazz guitar albums?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The "landmark" recordings are the Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto sessions from the early 60's . All the great Jobim tunes ... the contemporary player to check out is Romero Lubambo, he is a giant.... as far listening to the MUSIC and getting to KNOW it and not just the players : anything by Ivan Lins, Gaetano Veloso, Leni Andrade, Edu Lobo, Guinga, Chico Pinheiro, Eliane Elias, Egberto Gismonti, Laurindo Almeida, Hermeto Pascoal, Sergio Mendes, Maria Bethania, Flora Purim, ....
    This is MY list, there are many other artists to name ... just start listening and exploring and you will find more !

User Info Menu

Some really nice suggestions by gitman. Aside from the Getz/Gilberto this is a cd containing Gilberto's first 2 lps that's outstanding.

CD: The Legendary JOAO GILBERTO VG | eBay

User Info Menu

Check out Rafael Rabello for stunning 7-string as well as 6-string playing. Luis Bonfa and Baden Powell were the first great virtuosos of Bossa-samba Brazilian guitar, Bonfa is almost Segovia-like in technique and sound, but more entertaining. Baden-Powell is less disciplined but very exciting and a great risk-taker. The king, as mentioned above, of bossa-nove guitar is Joao Gilberto, the genre's inventor; Romero Lubambo and Yamandu Coste are the current masters of the idiom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    ...Luis Bonfa and Baden Powell were the first great virtuosos of Bossa-samba Brazilian guitar, Bonfa is almost Segovia-like in technique and sound, but more entertaining.
    This Bonfa album is pretty stripped down, giving you a big dose of his playing without orchestras and singers:

Non-Stop To Brazil (Luiz Bonfa) [WAV DOWNLOAD]
    – Chesky Records

BTW, Gene Bertoncini is on 3 cuts backing up Bonfa. While Bertoncini isn't Brazilian, and might not be on anybody's list of "Brazilian guitar masters", he did cut a nice album of Jobim tunes that is also very stripped down:

Jobim: Someone to Light up My Life - Gene Bertoncini | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

João Gilberto's classic 1959-1962 recordings with band / orchestra a classic, must-hear recordings...but to hear him alone with his guitar, check out his self-titled 1973 album and a 2000 follow up.

Caetano Veloso's 1986 record is also just him and a guitar, and very nice (but not virtuosic):
    Caetano Veloso [Trilhos Urbanos] - Caetano Veloso | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

None of the album above are
    virtuosic, actually, so check out Raphael Rabello, Dino 7 Cordas, and others for more advanced looks at what Brazilian guitar can do. This record, for a start

User Info Menu

I consider the Joao album required listening:

A great contemporary Bossa record:

This album was ahead of the Bossa Nova wave but has great Brazilian guitar styles nonetheless.

DaShigsta Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    None of the album above are
    virtuosic, actually, so check out Raphael Rabello, Dino 7 Cordas, and others for more advanced looks at what Brazilian guitar can do.
    This record, for a start

That's a really great album ! My favorite track is Segura Ele...

Another one is Leny Andrade & Romero Lubambo 'Coisa Fina'.

Romerooooo !

User Info Menu

Both the original and later remake of Os Afros Sambas

User Info Menu

Start with Joao Gilberto in the Bossa era.

Listen to Romero Lubambo --- I'd suggest a live show available for free on the Open Studio site. You can really hear, and see, the guitar very clearly.

There are a zillion other great players, or so it seems. Filo Machado, Toninho Horta, Kleber George (with Sergio Mendes), Lula Galvao, are a few that come to mind.

Chico Pinheiro is an absolute master, but his music is the furthest thing from beginner's level.

User Info Menu

I'd like to recommend you check out this guy!

Grooves so hard and with such enthusiasm!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bola+sete+live

Even though he still slides one in once in a while, early Lee Ritenour would fit the bill.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Fish
    I’d like to listen to some more Brazilian Guitar / Jazz.

I’ve only listen to some Baden Powell and haven’t explored much.

What are some “must listen” / iconic / landmark Brazilian jazz guitar albums?
    I would search the internet and download Almir Chediak's "Songbook-Bossa Nova" volumes 1 to 5, as well as his songbooks on Vinicius de Moraes and Tom Jobim. He made an effort to offer transcriptions with melody and chords close to the originals.

With the books on hand you can continue your explorations listening to the originals and decide by yourself what you like. You will enter the marvelous universe of Tom Jobim, Valle, Roberto Menescal, The Cariocas, Leny Andrade, Zimbo Trio, Nara Leao, Joao Gilberto, Tom Jobim, Elis Regina, Maria Bethania, Maria Creuza, Wanda Sa, Elianne Elias, and other classic bossa authors and interpreters.

Get to know the songs and explore the different covers .So many out there for spanish and electric guitar. But better approach them knowing the original form melody and harmony of the song.

Nelson Faria is also a good resource.

Listen to "Tudo Bem" (Joe Pass).

Have fun.

User Info Menu

This is not "iconic", it's recent... and don't let the fact that Andy Timmons (he's kind of a Satriani/Vai guy, but super melodic and not as "heavy") scares you off. It's very cool stuff.... might expand your horizons a little...

User Info Menu

Charlie Byrd has many fine recordings;

User Info Menu

Was there ever a greater music or a greater time to be a part of the Bossa craze. I was only 7 in 1962, but man I still dug the feel good rhythm of Bossa Nova! Those truly were the days.

User Info Menu

Listen to "Tudo Bem" (Joe Pass). Here is Wave.

User Info Menu

Musica de los Dioses!!!!!!!!!! Maestro, Yamandu!

forward to 5:11

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

From Pablo Records there's also "Ella Abraca Jobim" featuring Joe Pass. I have it as a double album in vynil. The four sides are in YT.

User Info Menu

Verdadero genio!

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Cincinnati is a long way from Brazil...solo live at the Heritage club

User Info Menu

Some great recommendations here.
    Depends on what you`re after.
    Compositional ? I love Toninho Horta
    Improvisation over changes..lot of burners out there ...Helio Delmiro was the reference for the style Romero's known for.
    Groove feels (Joao Bosco !!!)
    Nylon? I LOVE Bonfa ...Astrud told me she never heard a player get a better sound from a nylon.
    Choro? Yamandu, Marco Pereira, old school ?...Paulinho Noguiera
    7 String? I love those old Cartola records for the ensemble playing

May I ?
    some home movies (yes, it's me playing) but I've lived over 20 years in Brazil and have played with Astrud, Bebel, Leny and a host of others.
    Curious ...
    thanks

Desafinado

Once I Loved

Jogral

baritone guitar
    Mocidade

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WahmBomAh
    Some great recommendations here.
    Depends on what you`re after.
    Compositional ? I love Toninho Horta
    Improvisation over changes..lot of burners out there ...Helio Delmiro was the reference for the style Romero's known for.
    Groove feels (Joao Bosco !!!)
    Nylon? I LOVE Bonfa ...Astrud told me she never heard a player get a better sound from a nylon.
    Choro? Yamandu, Marco Pereira, old school ?...Paulinho Noguiera
    7 String? I love those old Cartola records for the ensemble playing

May I ?
    some home movies (yes, it's me playing) but I've lived over 20 years in Brazil and have played with Astrud, Bebel, Leny and a host of others.
    Curious ...
    thanks

Desafinado

Once I Loved

Jogral

baritone guitar
    Mocidade
    Hey Paul, you followed me over here fromTGP! It's nice to not have to see posts about gear and 'tone' for a change.
    Beautiful, tasteful harmonic charts and playing! The group is very sensitive to each others playing, which is how it should be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Listen to "Tudo Bem" (Joe Pass). Here is Wave.

Great album and this is my favorite track. Makes the tune fun to play again. You just call it as a samba, double time feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Great album and this is my favorite track. Makes the tune fun to play again. You just call it as a samba, double time feel.
    I'm with you all the way here. The groove of the song is so catching, I just don't want it to end.

User Info Menu

Tight sound. Good musicians. Very nice feel and tasty guitar by Paul Ricci. However, I had to listen to the rest of the songs without watching the videos since I found the vocalist's(Minnozzi) gestures annoying and distracting to the music. Just a personal thing. And, after all . . . it's just about the music. Right?
    Play live . . . Marinero