The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Montgomery Bros. Quintet - Clyp

edit: you can buy the original acetate here. the seller is such a champ for allowing us to hear it.

ULTRA RARE MILES DAVIS SEXTET ACETATE LIVE SF AUDITORIUM UNREALEASED 1960 HEAR | eBay
    Last edited by djg; 01-05-2021 at 01:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Am I understanding right? Is the auction you've linked to (Miles Davis Sextet with Buddy Montgomery) different than the song you've linked to (Montgomery Brothers quintet)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Am I understanding right? Is the auction you've linked to (Miles Davis Sextet with Buddy Montgomery) different than the song you've linked to (Montgomery Brothers quintet)?
    no, same auction.

User Info Menu

OK. But the disc being auctioned and the sound file don't match. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    OK. But the disc being auctioned and the sound file don't match. Odd.
    you'll figure it out, tim

User Info Menu

Djg, is this some kind of game you're playing? Why not just answer the question?

There are two acetates in the auction, scroll through the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Djg, is this some kind of game you're playing? Why not just answer the question?

There are two acetates in the auction, scroll through the pictures.
    it's one acetate, wes is on the b-side.

User Info Menu

Something of an oversight that the seller doesn’t appear to mention that in the description? you’d think it would help his sale to know it’s Miles on one side, Wes on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Something of an oversight that the seller doesn’t appear to mention that in the description? you’d think it would help his sale to know it’s Miles on one side, Wes on the other.
    he probably rightfully figured that jazz guitar does not sell.

comments about the music? wes just had recorded incredible jazz guitar a few months earlier. i like this west coast blues version, we have too little wes with his brother buddy. great to hear him on west coast blues. quite a busy comper. never heard of the sax player but i dig him as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    he probably rightfully figured that jazz guitar does not sell.

comments about the music? wes just had recorded incredible jazz guitar a few months earlier. i like this west coast blues version, we have too little wes with his brother buddy. great to hear him on west coast blues. quite a busy comper. never heard of the sax player but i dig him as well.
    Love Buddy's comping on West Coast Blues! Busy but full of great rhythmic and harmonic ideas (I'm going to steal a few). Just waiting on some recordings or footage of JC and Wes together. Hard to believe there isn't something out there as they shared the same stage in San Francisco each year from 1960 to 1962 and Coltrane wanted Wes to join his group.

User Info Menu

If JC = John Coltrane, there was a very famous jam session with Wes sitting in with Coltrane's band at the Monterey Jazz Festival 9/24/61. There's even a photo by Jim Marshall.

WES MONTGOMERY / JOHN COLTRANE / MONTERREY jazz festival 1961 | Jazz You Too

Allegedly Wes had no trouble keeping up with the tunes and afterwards Trane asked him to join the band, which Wes turned down since he was pursuing his own career and leading his own band. Apparently there was no recording of this, at least none that has surfaced, but of course there is a perennial hope that someday someone will find tapes in a drawer somewhere... I mean, after all, you would think everything would be recorded at a jazz festival but maybe back in those days that wasn't as true.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Coltrane wanted Wes to join his group.
    i always found that hard to believe given the way the band with dolphy sounded in 1961. i doubt that adding a bop guitarist to his group was the direction trane had in mind at that time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i always found that hard to believe given the way the band with dolphy sounded in 1961. i doubt that adding a bop guitarist to his group was the direction trane had in mind at that time.
    Yes, it seems unlikely but in a late 1961 interview with Val Wilmer while on tour, Coltrane said: "I very much wanted to have Wes here in England. He's really something else because he can make everything sound that much fuller". Wes declined an offer to join the group saying that there was "...too much music there. I couldn't handle John's music and my own all the same time".