The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yeah man..have seen before...the underwoods- ruth and hubby ian- were great players early on with frank...moved him from the great (but limited) original mothers of invention to new jazzier/intricate heights...

cheers

User Info Menu

always liked this one...twenty small cigars...from chunga's revenge...1970
    slightly overdubbed quartet...with ian on piano, max bennet (ex kenton, ella, peggy lee. etc) bassist and john guerin ( shearing, monk, sinatra etc) on drums

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    always liked this one...twenty small cigars...from chunga's revenge...1970
    slightly overdubbed quartet...with ian on piano, max bennet (ex kenton, ella, peggy lee. etc) bassist and john guerin ( shearing, monk, sinatra etc) on drums

cheers
    Max Bennet and John Guerin where part of the L.A. Express Tom Scott band. Saw them a lot in the Los Angeles area when I was just a teen getting into jazz. Guerin would often be the drummer in Howard Roberts' band when they played at Donte's.

Also saw the Max Bennet band and he had Mike Miller on guitar. Miller was really into Zappa. Only saw him that one time but I was really impressed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon;[URL="tel:1087664"
    1087664[/URL]]
    how do people even play that stuff ??
    Ruth Underwood .... incredible
    ridiculously talented

here be monsters !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    how do people even play that stuff ??
    by obsession, dedication, perseverance and love. AKA 'talent'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    by obsession, dedication, perseverance and love. AKA 'talent'.
    There’s an interview with Frank which I think might be in the movie...haven’t seen it yet...in which he states his band didn’t do it for the money, which was pretty tight in the early days. They did it because they loved playing interesting music at such a high level.

If you were a percussion player like Ruth, where else are you going to play such incredible stuff?

User Info Menu

That was nifty, wintermoon. Thanks for posting.
    I heard "St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" many, many times in my youth. I think I was in 10th grade when that came out. My best friend in high school, Hugh Holder (who played his gold Les Paul way better than I played my Ovation acoustic), was obsessed with Zappa. We would ride around in his Monte Carlo and listen to Zappa 8-tracks All. Night. Long. Per Lebowski, there was a beverage involved...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon;[URL="tel:1087662"
    1087662[/URL]]
    to y’all Zappa and Dan followers ....

are these Zappa ‘2’ chords the same as Dan ‘mu’ chords ?

like D2
    x57755

and A2
    (T5)x745x

kinda thing ? sorta ?

User Info Menu

Her first example of a few chords is "The Idiot Bastard Son", a very old nice piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    ....We would ride around in his Monte Carlo and listen to Zappa 8-tracks All. Night. Long. Per Lebowski, there was a beverage involved...
    a caucasian/white russian i hope...haha

cheers

ps- & god bless jeff bridges dealing with serious lymphoma

User Info Menu

In honor of Ruth, Frank and all the recent UFO news:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Her first example of a few chords is "The Idiot Bastard Son", a very old nice piece.

FZ, timely and prophetic as ever....

User Info Menu

This stuff is fun to play, I was in a Zappa tribute for years
    I ended up taking up mallets because we couldn't find a mallet player who would rehearse for free!
    It was funny, I'd worked on these pieces for years before getting marimba lessons
    My teacher was chuckling, a bit astonished that I'd learnt these pieces with totally wrong technique
    I was doing double hits rather than hand over hand, just making it difficult for myself
    I should have applied alternate picking technique to mallets!

At one point I was playing guitar, mallets and keys, it was a bit hectic
    But it goes to show how important assimilation is with material like this.
    Because I'd absorbed it for decades it wasn't so hard. I surprised myself, especially with the Ruth parts
    Assimilation embeds the tempo, inflections, structure etc, so you just need to find the notes

User Info Menu

of course you could play it all...like ian underwood!

cheers

User Info Menu

My music is light year's simpler than Frank's but I've used a lot of "2" chords over the years, starting with an open D chord with the high E open. I just liked the sound and it pops up in several of my songs.

I had other voicings that are called 2 (or sus2) chords. I didn't know the names until I got a 'chord namer' app and I put in fingerings and it tells me the various things such a chord might be called (depending on context). I'm working on a moody thing now that is mainly one measure of C2 and another measure of D2 / C2 with pickup notes of G and B leading back to the C2.

Not having much success soloing over those looped changes, though a few simple 'melodic cells' seem to work well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    FZ, timely and prophetic as ever....
    Yes, the lyrics were a profound component of his music (their connotation, their gaudiness, and sometimes just the intentional "philosophical accident" of the sound of them).

There is a "sound" in Zappa's music that has what I would describe casually as "wrong notes that just sound right". I have a theory about this which I have never proved. The violinist Giuseppe Tartini discovered what are now called the tones of Tartini. When two pitches are produced, one hears two additional pitches (if within the frequency range of hearing perception) comprised of the frequency sum and difference between the two original pitches... the musical magic thing is that these two extra pitches are an artifact of the hearer's ear; they don't really exist "in the air", but the ear derives them from the two original tones.

In a similar way to which Bach inventions stagger a second copy of a melody line harmonically against itself (or a manipulated copy either backwards or inverted or shifted up or down various intervals, etc.), my theory about Zappa (and McLaughlin, King Crimson, and some others) is that the tones of Tartini are deliberately employed in composing.

A simple example would be to start with a two part harmony passage using the pitches' frequency values to calculate the tones of Tartini (most likely the difference values), then actually scoring the resulting single line only as the pitches of the difference values so this is a reduction from two lines of pitch to a new single line of pitches - so within the same harmonic context from which the original lines were developed, omit those original lines and play just the single line of derived difference pitches as the new melodic line.

What happens? The ear presented with the Tartini tones of the original harmony "recognizes" what must have been the missing two pitch lines' harmony - the ear puts back together and infers melodic harmony that is strictly absent in the music presented; harmony that was the composer's intent that you hear it, and you do.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it...

User Info Menu

Yes, the lyrics were a profound component of his music (their connotation, their gaudiness, and sometimes just the intentional "philosophical accident" of the sound of them).

There is a "sound" in Zappa's music that has what I would describe casually as "wrong notes that just sound right". I have a theory about this which I have never proved. The violinist Giuseppe Tartini discovered what are now called the tones of Tartini. When two pitches are produced, one hears two additional pitches (if within the frequency range of hearing perception) comprised of the frequency sum and difference between the two original pitches... the musical magic thing is that these two extra pitches are an artifact of the hearer's ear; they don't really exist "in the air", but the ear derives them from the two original tones.

In a similar way to which Bach inventions stagger a second copy of a melody line harmonically against itself (or a manipulated copy either backwards or inverted or shifted up or down various intervals, etc.), my theory about Zappa (and McLaughlin, King Crimson, and some others) is that the tones of Tartini are deliberately employed in composing.

A simple example would be to start with a two part harmony passage using the pitches' frequency values to calculate the tones of Tartini (most likely the difference values), then actually scoring the resulting single line only as the pitches of the difference values so this is a reduction from two lines of pitch to a new single line of pitches - so within the same harmonic context from which the original lines were developed, omit those original lines and play just the single line of derived difference pitches as the new melodic line.

What happens? The ear presented with the Tartini tones of the original harmony "recognizes" what must have been the missing two pitch lines' harmony - the ear puts back together and infers melodic harmony that is strictly absent in the music presented; harmony that was the composer's intent that you hear it, and you do.

Back in the '70s I spent some time trying to buy a ring modulator (long story), which produced sum and difference tones in addition to the input signal. When the store owner finally condescended to shut up and take my money, I had a great time writing songs based on the unique noises coming from the box. I even had people dancing to these off-planet harmonies. Good times!

User Info Menu

The lyrics are often, as the youth say these days, problematic.

User Info Menu

That's interesting. I don't know if Frank was aware of Tartini...he was HEAVILY influenced by Varese though, who was quite a proponent of "accidental music"..