The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

Bluegrass guitar legend, Tony Rice, has just died. He could wander into jazz areas on occasion, and not embarrass himself at all. I'm sure there must be some here who appreciate his genius.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

These great musicians are passing at about the same age I am and it is getting mildly depressing. My Mom who will be 95 in a few months has passed through the other side where there is hardly anyone left. I wasn't a big fan of Tony Rice because I'm not a big fan of Bluegrass in general but I certainly respect and admire his talent and hard work he put into being a musician at the very top of his genre. Fair Winds and Following Seas Mr. Rice.

User Info Menu

Sad news indeed.

Here is one of my favorites—Norman Blake, Tony Rice and Doc Watson on this one. Love it when Doc eggs him on.

User Info Menu

Tony Rice, in my top 10 favorite guitarists list (if I had such a list). Such great tone and feel, and note choices.

Everything on this album is great... 1st cut here, Tony's solo is at 2:30, then solos more trading fours, also tasty improv. in the intro. Pretty jazzy including some outside playing.

User Info Menu

rip tony rice

always liked the idea that tony used nickel derived strings on his acoustics instead of the classic bronze type...he had a signature string deal with d'aquisto strings...they were nickel plated...and at present had the martin monel signature strings

cheers

User Info Menu

Tony was just about the only bluegrass guitar player that could make this smart-ass kid from the lower east side of Manhattan sit up and say omg what the heck was that. What an amazing, beautiful, rare, genre-spanning talent. One for the ages.

RIP, Mr. Rice.

User Info Menu

Very sad news.

User Info Menu

Sad news. Tony Rice was part of that stage where I moved from Allman Bros and Santana to a broader world. I will always enjoy listening to his music.

User Info Menu

He was a BIG hero to many of us. You could tell he was a big Wes fan as well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    a long-time fave!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Bluegrass guitar legend, Tony Rice, has just died. I'm sure there must be some here who appreciate his genius.
    Truly a genius and a groundbreaker. Oddly I just listened to this album this past Tuesday after many years. Well worth hearing. RIP.

User Info Menu

Oh, so sorry to hear that. He was on a lot of amazing recordings and disproved the existence of categories of music.

One of my musical regrets is not having heard him play live. Had tickets for a show he was supposed to be on but he canceled his part of the tour due to illness (David Bromberg, Angel Band and the Tony Rice Unit were the scheduled performers; Peter Rowan trio was the sub and were awesome, but were just not Tony...).

Thank you, Tony, for all the years of great music! Rest in peace.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 02-05-2021 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Sad. I saw him in the late ‘80s with his brother Wyatt and Alison Krauss at the Great American Music Hall in SF. There were others too, but I wouldn’t know who they were. Great show. It was swinging.

User Info Menu

Another big fan here who will be raising a few toasts to Tony and listening to plenty of his music over the coming days. I only have a half a dozen licks in my repertoire, and a couple of those are Tony's.

User Info Menu

Oh no. What a crap year it’s been.

User Info Menu

I had a friend who produced a bluegrass festival (Musicians against Childhood Cancer) who introduced me to Tony on a tour bus. "Hey Mike, play some guitar for Tony" as he handed me a '37 Martin Herringbone. I knew Tony was into jazz and started playing "Nardis". He had been eating a pre show meal and stopped and asked me to start again discussing the song as I played. This went on for awhile when I heard him tell my friend "sounds like someones been woodshedding". When he left the bus to go perform in front of about 5,000 people, he looked back and said "Don't ever stop". I will never forget that moment.... RIP Tony, truly a Southern Gentleman and brilliant musician...

User Info Menu

Oh, Man, sad news. One of my favorite players. RIP Tony. Jazz, blues, folk and Country all melded in his most adventurous improvisations. In folk and Bluegrass material he was unique and untouchable.

His fills and back-up were so beautiful on this tune.

Last edited by AndyV; 12-27-2020 at 12:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Sad news indeed. I was just listening to some of his stuff over the last couple of days. This one, from a Darol Anger session has become a favorite:

User Info Menu

One of the most beautiful songs that Tony decorated. Check out how avant garde his playing really was ... dissonance, harmonics, modal riffs, etc.

User Info Menu

ps://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/58957-tony-rice-and-his-holy-grail-martin-d-28/

User Info Menu

^ wow what a great tale..anything with clarence white provenance is gonna be good!

58957: Tony Rice and his Holy Grail Martin D-28 | Fretboard Journal

cheers

User Info Menu

One of those people you simply have to like.

My Band camp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Oh, Man, sad news. One of my favorite players. RIP Tony. Jazz, blues, folk and Country all melded in his most adventurous improvisations. In folk and Bluegrass material he was unique and untouchable.

His fills and back-up were so beautiful on this tune.

I hear some kinship to what he's doing here with Peter Bernstein's playing when accompanying others; looseness and then adventurousness resulting in the uncommon and unexpected.