The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Got that album in '69 or '70 and learned the words to the Wolf's*songs. Forty years later I finally got a band and a public that would let me perform them. Patience, Grasshoppers....

* The liner notes on that LP are of particular interest.
    I got into all that starting around 74. I started playing guitar at 14 around 71'. I miss my drug infested 70's jam bands. I actually went back to one in the late 80's.
    I'm such a sellout. These gangsters in between made me play so many damn guitar solos. Blah blah blah. I want to care again. Patience indeed.

My path to blues wasn't from the rockers. It was from local bands and bands from Chicago. I started going to a club right near me when I was 15. JB Hutto is still my favorite show, ever.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stevebol;1085423 My path to blues wasn't from the rockers. It was from local bands and bands from Chicago. I started going to a club right near me when I was 15. JB Hutto is still my favorite show, ever.[/QUOTE]

Never saw him live. Love to hear him do this.

User Info Menu

JB did slow numbers when he played in Chicago. I saw him in Buffalo when I was 19. I looked around the club..
    Why is it all young white males here? Whatever. We wanted to hear a Dust My Broom groove for 4 hours. He knew that so that's what he did.

At one point he walked off the stage and walked over to me. He pointed at the bar top.
    We cleared the bar in no time and he did the walk. Then later on he did the walk out side.

Rumor has it there was no one like Elmore James live. He had a heart condition and knew he probably wouldn't live to reach old age. JB wasn't wasn't with the Hawks when I saw him. He played a lot slide.
    That bass player in the Hawks is having a blast in that vid. All his bands were good. Brewer Phillips was on guitar when I saw him. Must have been around 77'.

Brewer Phillips
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-25-2020 at 03:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Right now I'm a complete tone hound. It's something to focus on. In the end there can be more to music than tone but tone is a friend.
    This is still about the most angst filled album I ever heard;

One of the greatest (and least noted) tracks from that album. EC and Bobby Whitlock's vocals mesh beautifully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    He never sounded that good on a strat. I think his touch and style is made for humbuckers, why he had to switch? Then again he's not the brightest bulb in chandelier as we have seen lately.
    My reading of the switch had something to do with EC seeing Hendrix in London and then saying he was more or less finished as a guitarist after that. But this wouldn't explain his use of a LPC during his Bonnie and Delany days.
    So who knows?

User Info Menu

clapton switched to strat because of- the band... was robbie robertsons guitar of choice....

george harrison was also completely smitten with- the band

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    clapton switched to strat because of- the band... was robbie robertsons guitar of choice....

cheers
    Clapton has said himself that the inspiration was a white Strat he'd seen Steve Winwood play, most likely during their Blind Faith period.

User Info Menu

That time Eric Clapton auditioned for — and was rejected by — the Band

'I thought, my God, these guys are real serious," the guitar icon says.....

read the rest- pre blind faith!-

That time Eric Clapton auditioned for — and was rejected by — the Band | CBC Radio

cheers

User Info Menu

That time Eric Clapton auditioned for — and was rejected by — the Band | CBC Radio

cheers
    Rejection by peers has forced me to focus on my strengths and shore up my weakness and, most importantly, grow a thicker skin.

Also, to practice forgiveness and mercy.

User Info Menu

cheers
    Sure, it was The Band that completely turned EC's mind around on how to present his music and persona. However, he's mentioned Winwood being the inspiration for playing Strats on a few occasions. The article does state that this was pre-Blind Faith (interesting that Hendrix's choice of instrument wasn't a deciding factor):

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear...aptons-blackie

User Info Menu

Brewer Phillips was on guitar when I saw him. Must have been around 77'.

Brewer Phillips
    Didn't he also play with Hound Dog Taylor?
    "Gimme Back My Wig!"

User Info Menu

I feel better knowing Eric was so knocked out by The Band.

I love that line, "We don't jam. We write songs and we play songs."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    "Gimme Back My Wig!"
    I had the album. I got it in the late 80's maybe. Great song.

Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

"Gimme Back My Wig!"
    "Ya wanna git funky, a Mr. Brewer? Let's get funky then"!

User Info Menu

cheers
    I know Robbie played a Strat but I think of him as more of a Tele guy because that's what he played on the first Band records and also on his early work with Dylan. (He played a Strat before he played the Tele. I think he played a Strat with The Hawks. But then in the early-mid '70s he went back to the Strat. I should research this more. I'm sure it's been written about.)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-25-2020 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    "Ya wanna git funky, a Mr. Brewer? Let's get funky then"!
    I suspect Hound Dog was rocking a wig. Maybe they didn't call him Hound Dog for nothing.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-25-2020 at 01:02 AM.

There is a band in NW Arkansas named The Cates Brothers who often opened for the Band. The Cates drummer Terry was Levons nephew and Ernie and Earle Cates are very soulful musicians. The bass player Ron sometimes plays with Delbert McClinton one of John Lennons harmonica teachers. If people like the Bands music they can check out The Cates Bros. They had a hit Mr.Union Man. There is some of their music on YT I think.

The Cates were produced and co-written with by Steve Cropper!

User Info Menu

I suspect Hound Dog was rocking a wig. Maybe they didn't call him Hound Dog for nothing.
    My quote was from Hound Dog himself on his live album "Beware of the Dog". Great album! I've listened to it so many times and love his talking between songs. As raw as it gets, its fantastic!

User Info Menu

Might as well re-visit Eric's guitar sound on "Hideaway" from the Bluesbreakers album.

User Info Menu

Might as well re-visit Eric's guitar sound on "Hideaway" from the Bluesbreakers album.

As much as I love EC tone of that era, I prefer the Freddie King take on this tune! It's faster, groovier, and just feels good.

User Info Menu

As much as I love EC tone of that era, I prefer the Freddie King take on this tune! It's faster, groovier, and just feels good.
    Agreed! SRV did Hideaway too but not as good as Freddie. It's less about the lead than the groove. The Bluesbreakers were more, well, stiff. I got to see Freddie live and he was a force. Hell of a singer too.

User Info Menu

The trumpet player on the far right is pretty smooth. The go-go girls are a nice addition.
    Who's the guitar player?

User Info Menu

The trumpet player on the far right is pretty smooth. The go-go girls are a nice addition.
    Who's the guitar player?
    Neatomic will know.

User Info Menu

Neatomic will know.
    I'm kidding of course. That's Billy Cox on bass. Gatemouth Brown on the other guitar behind Freddie.
    That has to be Texas. Teamwork. Maybe not. IDK.