The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen posts about the Fillius Jazz Archive at Hamilton College in NY, so I wanted to pass the information along. The vast archive contains interviews of jazz musicians by Monk Rowe conducted from the 1990s through today. Here’s a link to the playlist of 21 jazz guitarist interviews:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...CBh8pYN09tSEHe

The Billy Bauer one is great, not to mention rare. He’s has a great sense of humor. Others on this list include Herb Ellis, Bucky Pizzarelli, John Abercrombie, Cal Collins and Gene Bertoncini.

There are playlists for other instruments, historians and writers, as well.

John Galich

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

wow a real treasure trove right there!

james chirillo as well!

thanks for the heads up....bookmarked!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmgalich
    I haven’t seen posts about the Fillius Jazz Archive at Hamilton College in NY, so I wanted to pass the information along. The vast archive contains interviews of jazz musicians by Monk Rowe conducted from the 1990s through today. Here’s a link to the playlist of 21 jazz guitarist interviews:

Guitarist Interviews - YouTube

The Billy Bauer one is great, not to mention rare. He’s has a great sense of humor. Others on this list include Herb Ellis, Bucky Pizzarelli, John Abercrombie, Cal Collins and Gene Bertoncini.

There are playlists for other instruments, historians and writers, as well.

John Galich
    Wow! As usual John, you don't post much, but when you do, it's always a goodie!
    Happy Holidays, Buddy!

User Info Menu

I was teaching there adjunct at the turn of the century. The Archive brought up a lot of great music, but ol' Milt Filius had a fairly narrow view of what was 'proper' jazz. (Bucky, Clark Terry, Dick Hyman, Milt Hinton, Kenny Davern, Bob Rosengarden, you can start to see a pattern...) A few of my students discovered that the food service department had an 'entertainment' budget, so I asked John Abercrombie if he minded playing in a dining hall with the tables set up like a jazz club. He was game to give it a shot, bringing the organ trio with Dan Wall and Adam Nussbaum. It was a great night of music, as you might imagine, and a rare instance of an 'electric' guitarist being interviewed for the Archive...

PK

User Info Menu

fun interview with billy bauer...tho i wish there was more on tristano, konitz years

here's track played in interview...skyscraper...writ by billy and flip phillips

cheers

User Info Menu

watched the john abercrombie and james chirillo interviews...both excellent...very heady...interesting that both mentioned the same mentor/teacher...tho they went to completely different schools..berklee and north texas!

jack petersen (with benedetto)

cheers

User Info Menu

I had seen the Herb Ellis interview before but that's the only one. Thanks for the link to this collection.

User Info Menu

Great interviews. Thanks for the link.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    watched the john abercrombie and james chirillo interviews...both excellent...very heady...interesting that both mentioned the same mentor/teacher...tho they went to completely different schools..berklee and north texas!
    Why's that a surprise? Abercrombie and Chirillo sound so much alike that they're interchangeable.

Kidding, of course. A good teacher is one who helps the student be themselves.