The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here are some very nice full albums of small groups featuring Freddie Green on guitar. On all these you can really hear what Freddie's playing and get a sense of his movement through inversions, rhythmic feel and accents. "Rhythm Willie" was introduced to me by a teacher decades ago - the others are more recent discoveries. Anyone know of others?

Bonus: I recently spent a day at the massive Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, AZ. They had one of Freddie's guitars on display.

The Audible Freddie Green-img_0580-jpegThe Audible Freddie Green-img_0581-jpegThe Audible Freddie Green-img_0585-jpegThe Audible Freddie Green-img_0586-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like how they display that guit at basically the same angle Freddie would present it to an audience.

User Info Menu

Freddie's collaboration with Herb Ellis was great. Two greats who meshed seamlessly. Love that record.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Freddie's collaboration with Herb Ellis was great. Two greats who meshed seamlessly. Love that record.
    I bought that record at Marian McPartland's Estate Sale. She must have dug Herb- not the kind you smoke... Couldn't resist

User Info Menu

Rhythm Willie is one of my favorite Concord recordings

User Info Menu

I love all those recordings, but especially Rhythm Willie.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I knew he had his strings set high above the fretboard, but sheesh...

What are the two pieces of tape on the lower F hole? My guess is where to aim a microphone, but I could be wrong.

John Galich

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmgalich
    I knew he had his strings set high above the fretboard, but sheesh...

What are the two pieces of tape on the lower F hole? My guess is where to aim a microphone, but I could be wrong.

John Galich
    Hard to say about the string height, not sure how historically accurate the current state of the action is. The red tape looks like it could be for mic placement. Very workmanlike - no nonsense. Reminds me of the big number stickers Pete Townsend put on his stage guitars - “hey, for Baba O’Riley, hand me number 6!”

The Audible Freddie Green-2294ce0f-d71e-437d-a540-a2aeae371e46-jpeg