The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 144

User Info Menu

she deserves her own thread. very enjoyable player (and singer). i hear influences from pete bernstein, the dutch guitar school, some barney kessel chord movements, lots of BH. pretty pianistic but with fire. i'm in love. unfortunately she is pop star material.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    she deserves her own thread. very enjoyable player (and singer). i hear influences from pete bernstein, the dutch guitar school, some barney kessel chord movements, lots of BH. pretty pianistic but with fire. i'm in love. unfortunately she is pop star material.
    Apparently she studied in the Netherlands indeed. From her website:

She began playing guitar as a teenager, and from the first time she heard Jim Hall playing with Bill Evans she knew she wanted to be a jazz guitarist. studied at the conservatory in Naples, then at the Conservatorium Van Amsterdam with Martin Van Itterson, Jesse Van Ruller and Maarten Van de Gritten.
    She misspells the names though.

DB

I like this one especially:

User Info Menu

Dig.

What I like the most she's not trying to sound like anyone else. Even better she doesn't sound like a modern jazz guitarist , that popular ambient nerd variety. She just got that drive I dont hear much.

And that picking, how she attacks strings, thats beautiful, my kind of player.

User Info Menu

Lovely.

Lovely.[/QUOTE]

nice clips too, max. ever been to europe? i think i remember you from way back.

User Info Menu

Very accomplished musician but too busy for my taste. I'd like to hear her in 10 years.

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

nice clips too, max. ever been to europe? i think i remember you from way back.
    I lived in Germany from 1985-88. Did we meet? Play together?

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    I lived in Germany from 1985-88. Did we meet? Play together?
    yeah, probably at the cave 54. i was just starting out, had a band with dale and paul. you played with anke, right? my name is holger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Very accomplished musician but too busy for my taste. I'd like to hear her in 10 years.

Play live . . . Marinero
    hahaha, too busy? Yea, sure too busy playing gigs, working.

User Info Menu

yeah, probably at the cave 54. i was just starting out, had a band with dale and paul. you played with anke, right? my name is holger
    Yeah - wow what a memory you have, Holger! The jam sessions at the Cave were a blast. I remember the line of horn players waiting in line off to the side of the stage. I think one time I comped a couple hundred choruses of “All The Things You Are” - it made me come up with some new ideas by necessity!

I’m so happy for Anke, she became a wonderful pianist and accomplished artist.

I recall that Paul stayed in Germany - did you guys continue with the band? Do you have a website or someway I can see what you’re up to now?

Great to hear from you - those years in Heidelberg were so great.

User Info Menu

I like her style! Earthy, a bit abrupt
    sometimes. Not pretty pretty. (So much pretty guitar playing out there.)

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Yeah - wow what a memory you have, Holger! The jam sessions at the Cave were a blast. I remember the line of horn players waiting in line off to the side of the stage. I think one time I comped a couple hundred choruses of “All The Things You Are” - it made me come up with some new ideas by necessity!

I’m so happy for Anke, she became a wonderful pianist and accomplished artist.

I recall that Paul stayed in Germany - did you guys continue with the band? Do you have a website or someway I can see what you’re up to now?

Great to hear from you - those years in Heidelberg were so great.
    good times. i remember playing with mike williams and a latin alto player. paul stayed in germany and got married iirc. anke, chris and me moved to holland to study (at the same school as elonora). i live in a different part of germany now but still have contact. i have a website holger weber jazz gitarrist dortmund

here's anke at a BH workshop in the hague, many moons ago, around the 7 min mark. how time flies
    All the things you are - YouTube

User Info Menu

Nice - I’ll see how I can get your “Soul Jazz Lab” album here in the US. Great to here from you!

I have some things here on YouTube:
    Sotto Voce - Max Smith

User Info Menu

I feel my conversation with Holger may have sidetracked the thread so here’s some more Eleonora Strino - lovely playing. I have a real admiration for young people who are keeping straight-ahead jazz and instrumental guitar music alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like her style! Earthy, a bit abrupt
    sometimes. Not pretty pretty. (So much pretty guitar playing out there.)
    You said it man. Everyone goes for pretty shit, but I aint buying it. Play with some balls already! Apparently it takes a woman to show how it's done nowdays.

User Info Menu

It’s gratifying to see the number of excellent women guitar players coming up in all genres.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Apparently she studied in the Netherlands indeed. From her website:

She misspells the names though.

DB

I like this one especially:

She sounds more comfortable with that thinner bodied axe. The fat body sounds better for acc. her singing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    hahaha, too busy? Yea, sure too busy playing gigs, working.
    Hi, H,
    Thank the heavens someone is working in this jumble! However, the point about Eleonora's playing is that there is a difference between technical mastery of an instrument/fluency and creative expression irrespective of playing style--Bop, Chord/Melody, Gypsy, etc.. As a generality, when players finally jump the hurdle of technique, many want to show what they can do with their instrument. It's a happy liberation since they are no longer struggling with mechanical expression. However, in many cases, their desire to parade their technique overrides taste and musicality. This is my perception of her playing. She plays a few bars and then unmusically jumps to blazing melodic/harmonic runs where, for me, they are not musical in the setting--just fast. Perhaps this will be her style but I doubt it since the "seasoning" of time always brings more thoughtfulness and concision to a performer--even hard-core Boppers. I hope this makes sense, however, at this stage of her playing, I doubt I could sit through her first set without becoming bored.
    As a contrast, there is a young player, Bulerias, who has been providing videos in THE SHOWCASE of our Forum who has phenomenal technique yet, has the taste, nuance, and musical composure of a seasoned artist. His playing is emotive and shows the self confidence and maturity of a much older musician/artist. Check him out for comparison. I hope this makes sense, H.

Play live? . . . not where I live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I think she's amazing. A breath of fresh air. Hopefully she will inspire more women to play jazz guitar, and men too. Very impressive.

User Info Menu

What Rob said. So nice to see young people, in this case a very talented young lady carrying on the jazz tradition. I don't know how anyone could criticize her, she'll continue to grow, this is no flash in the pan imo.
    Bravo!

correction, the only criticism I can offer is she should remove that severely offgassing pickguard from her old L7.

User Info Menu

Hi, H,
    Thank the heavens someone is working in this jumble! However, the point about Eleonora's playing is that there is a difference between technical mastery of an instrument/fluency and creative expression irrespective of playing style--Bop, Chord/Melody, Gypsy, etc.. As a generality, when players finally jump the hurdle of technique, many want to show what they can do with their instrument. It's a happy liberation since they are no longer struggling with mechanical expression. However, in many cases, their desire to parade their technique overrides taste and musicality. This is my perception of her playing. She plays a few bars and then unmusically jumps to blazing melodic/harmonic runs where, for me, they are not musical in the setting--just fast. Perhaps this will be her style but I doubt it since the "seasoning" of time always brings more thoughtfulness and concision to a performer--even hard-core Boppers. I hope this makes sense, however, at this stage of her playing, I doubt I could sit through her first set without becoming bored.
    As a contrast, there is a young player, Bulerias, who has been providing videos in THE SHOWCASE of our Forum who has phenomenal technique yet, has the taste, nuance, and musical composure of a seasoned artist. His playing is emotive and shows the self confidence and maturity of a much older musician/artist. Check him out for comparison. I hope this makes sense, H.

Play live? . . . not where I live . . . Marinero

How many artist born after 1960 can you name that you like? ... Zero?

Also when are you going to post some of your own playing? .. I'd love the chance to get inspired by someone with your deep sense of jazz!
    Last edited by Lobomov; 12-20-2020 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

She’s a lovely player, and considering the ways most attractive women are choosing (required?) to present themselves in the music and entertainment business these days, I can’t stand back and nitpick. I wish her all the success in the world; I’m always glad to see young people preserving and carrying on the music. I’d much rather listen to her pleasantly retro stylings than any of the overrated nerd/noise music that the artistic/literary/New Yorker-type/critical establishment is currently pushing forward as “jazz”.

User Info Menu

Another delightful offering:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    How many artist born after 1960 can you name that you like? ... Zero?

Also when are you going to post some of your own playing? .. I'd love the chance to get inspired by someone with your deep sense of jazz!
    O.K., L,
    I'll play! . . . Joey D'Francesco, Christian McBride, Diana Krall, Joey Alexander, Emily Remler, Russell Malone, Nicolas Payton, Gerald Albright, Wynton Marsalis, James Carter, Joshua Redman, Marcin Dylla, Pavel Steidl, and-- our own Chris Whiteman off the top of my head. Generally, music is generational. And, origins matter: Latin, Classical, Jazz, Rock, etc. However, there are some musicians and music that override generation and origin and are timeless. These are the players and the music for which I am most attracted. A musician is a poet . . . not a gymnast and the best poetry is clear, concise, and ontological. Technique alone does not the musician make . . . Thus Spoke Zarathrustra . . .

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

O.K., L,
    I'll play! . . . Joey D'Francesco, Christian McBride, Diana Krall, Joey Alexander, Emily Remler, Russell Malone, Nicolas Payton, Gerald Albright, Wynton Marsalis, James Carter, Joshua Redman, Marcin Dylla, Pavel Steidl, and-- our own Chris Whiteman off the top of my head. Generally, music is generational. And, origins matter: Latin, Classical, Jazz, Rock, etc. However, there are some musicians and music that override generation and origin and are timeless. These are the players and the music for which I am most attracted. A musician is a poet . . . not a gymnast and the best poetry is clear, concise, and ontological. Technique alone does not the musician make . . . Thus Spoke Zarathrustra . . .

Play live . . . Marinero
    Joey D'Francesco (49 years of age ..1971)
    Christian McBride (48 years of age .. 1972)
    Diana Krall (56 years of age .. 1964)
    Emily Remler (Dead .. Born 1957, so not valid)
    Russell Malone (53 years of age .. Born 1963)
    Nicolas Payton (47 years of age .. Born 1973)
    Gerald Albright (63 years of age .. Born 1957 and not valid)

Wynton Marsalis (59 years of age .. Born 1961)
    James Carter (51 years of age .. Born 1969)
    Joshua Redman (51 years of age .. Born 1969)
    Marcin Dylla (44 years of age .. Born 1976)
    Pavel Steidl (59 years of age .. Born 1969)

Joey Alexander (17 years of age .. Born 2003)

So if I was to rephrase the question to How many jazz artists under the age of 40 do you like? .. We'd be left with one name and not a single jazz guitarist, right?

Anyways that is the second time you've ignored me asking when we are going to see you play, so we can be inspired by someone with a deep understanding of jazz
    Last edited by Lobomov; 12-20-2020 at 02:04 PM.