The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I never really cared to notice but his main guitar has always been classical guitar... it is just amazing

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's even a Martin which is really not known for the classical guitars that they built. I don't know what brand of weed he had going.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Trigger has been with Willie for a long time. My '48 Epiphone Zenith was once Willie's, according to the dealer who sold it to me. He had purchased it from one of Willie's sidemen. The guitar had been stripped to the wood, except for the heel cap, which still sported the silver metalflake finish that had covered the entire instrument, save the fingerboard. Now, that's a Country thing to do! At any rate, in addition to the $350 we paid for it, I managed to per$uade a local-to-me luthier to re-fret and restore it to its original state, with a nice period circular sunburst centered around the bridge. I love this "budget" guitar. I like to think of it as the instrument Willie wrote "Crazy" on.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Yeah, Trigger has been with Willie for a long time. My '48 Epiphone Zenith was once Willie's, according to the dealer who sold it to me. He had purchased it from one of Willie's sidemen. The guitar had been stripped to the wood, except for the heel cap, which still sported the silver metalflake finish that had covered the entire instrument, save the fingerboard. Now, that's a Country thing to do! At any rate, in addition to the $350 we paid for it, I managed to per$uade a local-to-me luthier to re-fret and restore it to its original state, with a nice period circular sunburst centered around the bridge. I love this "budget" guitar. I like to think of it as the instrument Willie wrote "Crazy" on.
    Wow!

User Info Menu

Flushing out the tale of trigger a bit more:

User Info Menu

Willie bought trigger because it sounded more like Django to his ears.

User Info Menu

He had a guitar that needed repair and he sent it to a guy in Texas he trusted. The guy told him it was beyond repair but he had a Martin Willie might like. Willie's played that guitar ever since.

User Info Menu

I always am surprised at his Guitar playing very solid and some of his songs have secondary vii chords too. And he takes some concise really good Solos on the Nylon .

Guy's a Pro Writer , much like some of the Tin Pan Alley writers ( not the heavyweights).

I wrote and produced Jingles long ago just regional ones not national - but I noticed Willie recently airing currently on a ' Dynovite ' commercial ..a dog supplement.

'You don't know how happy your dog will be '.

Could be a sound alike but I think it's Willie.

User Info Menu

As an aside, I once recorded an original C. F. Martin, a classical guitar from the 19th century. Martin, as is well documented, studied in Venice with Stauffer. Edinburgh University has a collection of historical musical instruments, including both a Stauffer and a Martin, side by side. So, I was lucky enough to be invited to perform on them and record. Unfortunately the recording was badly done, but my memory is that the Stauffer was amazing, but the Martin was really quite poor. Of course, the Martin is worth more than the rest of the guitar collection put together.