The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53
    I like the duo track with his wife singing its on one of the above. She was a psychiatrist. Go figure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the one with the artist.

Happy Birthday Jim Hall - So What's Your Favorite JH Album?-jim-hall-jazz-guitar-copy-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I like the duo track with his wife singing its on one of the above. She was a psychiatrist. Go figure.
    I read somewhere that his wife’s friends (all academics, professional types etc.) came to dinner once and asked her ‘when is Jim going to get a proper job?’

User Info Menu

I love so much of his work but my favorite is his work with Sonny Rollins on The Bridge.

User Info Menu

For me, it's a tie between Concerto and this one.

User Info Menu

Lots to choose from...I may give a different selection in a day or two.

Standouts at the moment would be the Jimmy Guiffre album already mentioned - the first time I heard JH was on The Train & The River in 'Jazz On A Summers' Day', he said in several interviews that trying to blend his guitar with Guiffres' horn was a big part of his sound, from his tone, legato playing, use of hammer ons / pull offs, to playing whole phrases horizontally on one string.

The two albums with Bill Evans, The Bridge & the live duets with Ron Carter, Telephone's my favourite - the cassette of that on a walkman got me through many a night shift...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

Happy Birthday Jim Hall - So What's Your Favorite JH Album?-jim-hall-jazz-guitar-copy-jpg
    I like this album and it is on a fairly standard rotation, but in many ways I don't consider it a Jim Hall album; more like 50s style guitar jazz album (which is my favorite period of guitar jazz). Hall hadn't yet fully developed his style of playing that was his own when this album was released.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 12-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Here is my selection: Concierto

Love his tone and that tune!

User Info Menu

While working at my desk today, I pulled up a Spotify station entitled, This is Jim Hall. It was five hours of a wonderfully curated collection of tunes, many of which came from some of the albums listed above. All of his stuff is so wonderful, but his work with Art Farmer and Bill Evans really rises to the top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I read somewhere that his wife’s friends (all academics, professional types etc.) came to dinner once and asked her ‘when is Jim going to get a proper job?’
    I read that too, I don't believe he ever did.

User Info Menu

man, he was a tv star!!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Durn, Skip, you coulda used the icon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I like this album and it is on a fairly standard rotation, but in many ways I don't consider it a Jim Hall album; more like 50s style guitar jazz album (which is my favorite period of guitar jazz). Hall hadn't yet fully developed his style of playing that was his own when this album was released.
    Yes. That's a perfectly of-the-moment 1957 album . . .

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I love so much of his work but my favorite is his work with Sonny Rollins on The Bridge.
    Yes. That's a perfectly of-the-moment 1962 album . . .

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Yes. That's a perfectly of-the-moment 1989 album (and it's my favorite because "Beja Flor" always makes me melt).

Point being: Jim Hall didn't turn his back on the past but he never stopped looking to the present. That's an uncommon virtue.

User Info Menu

This was the first Jim Hall record I got, still like this one a lot.

User Info Menu

My first one, found in a cutout bin. Still holds a special place in my heart.

User Info Menu

This is such an interesting thread!

If someone started a thread saying, what is your favorite Wes Montgomery album...I think a preponderance of cats would say "Smokin at the Half Note."
    If someone started a thread saying, what is your favorite Kenny Burrell album...I think a preponderance of cats would say "Midnight Blue."

But for Jim Hall, we are all over the map!

What does it mean if 20 players toss out 20 different album titles as their faves? Gotta show range, doesn't it?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    This is such an interesting thread!

If someone started a thread saying, what is your favorite Wes Montgomery album...I think a preponderance of cats would say "Smokin at the Half Note."
    If someone started a thread saying, what is your favorite Kenny Burrell album...I think a preponderance of cats would say "Midnight Blue."

But for Jim Hall, we are all over the map!

What does it mean if 20 players toss out 20 different album titles as their faves? Gotta show range, doesn't it?
    I believe there was such a thread; (at least I remember answering a question like: what Wes album is your favorite or listen to the most).

I recall the top selections were The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery (my choice), and Smoking at the Half Note (a close second for me).

For Kenny Burrell: I really don't have one since his career was so long; sadly Wes's died "young" and thus didn't make recordings over multiple decades. So for me that generally makes it harder. Unless someone has an THIS-IS-IT decade, like Tal Farlow which was clearly the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by smallie_stalker
    This one is my favorite too although I was never fortunate enough to meet him to sign it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    This has a transcription of Scrapple From The Apple that really helped me if I remember correctly. I miss large album covers!

User Info Menu

"The Bridge". For me, none of his other work even comes close.

If I had to pick a second it would be "Interaction" with the Art Farmer Quartet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The contrast between smilin' Jim and the post-apocalyptic death rock figure the artist is painting behind him always jars me! Maybe its commentary on the age of anxiety and what was lurking underneath '50s conformity.

If this album had led to Jim's career as a solo artist taking off, we might not have had some of those 60s sessions like with Rollins, Desmond and Farmer, so I guess there's a silver lining to his first record fizzling out.

Jim was like a guy waiting for the 60s to happen for a number of reasons. His session work with those bandleaders put him into the thick of the top rank of players, and he was absorbing the changes in the air from Bill Evans' trio and other stuff...then at the very end of the 60s, he leaves his TV show job and cranks up his solo career for real. His version of "Careful" on the 1968 Berlin Festival Guitar Workshop album is like a little preview of his trio work for the next two decades.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    The contrast between smilin' Jim and the post-apocalyptic death rock figure the artist is painting behind him always jars me! Maybe its commentary on the age of anxiety and what was lurking underneath '50s conformity.

If this album had led to Jim's career as a solo artist taking off, we might not have had some of those 60s sessions like with Rollins, Desmond and Farmer, so I guess there's a silver lining to his first record fizzling out.

Jim was like a guy waiting for the 60s to happen for a number of reasons. His session work with those bandleaders put him into the thick of the top rank of players, and he was absorbing the changes in the air from Bill Evans' trio and other stuff...then at the very end of the 60s, he leaves his TV show job and cranks up his solo career for real. His version of "Careful" on the 1968 Berlin Festival Guitar Workshop album is like a little preview of his trio work for the next two decades.
    I think your point is a great one, that in Jim Hall's playing you can hear a guy completely comfortable in the 50s, but ready to thrive in the 60s.

User Info Menu

"the post-apocalyptic death rock figure the artist is painting"...

haha

the painter on the cover of jim halls-jazz guitar- lp is heralded west coast abstract expressionist -john altoon...these days considered the leader of a group of now internationally famous socal/la artists known as -the cool school

his 1950 painting-the jazz players

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Steve Swallow in his pre-bass guitar days... appears "elegantly wasted" to borrow a phrase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    "the post-apocalyptic death rock figure the artist is painting"...

haha

the painter on the cover of jim halls-jazz guitar- lp is heralded west coast abstract expressionist -john altoon...these days considered the leader of a group of now internationally famous socal/la artists known as -the cool school

his 1950 painting-the jazz players

cheers
    I always wondered - where's the painting now?