The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Yesterday was Jim Hall's birthday. He would have been 90-years-old. It gave me a good reason to do a bit of Jim Hall-a-thon as I grade end of the semester papers. I keep discovering his own recordings as well as duet/ensemble albums he played on. My newest find that I've had on loop is, It's Nice to be With You: Live in Berlin with Jimmy Woode & Daniel Humair. Somehow, this one escaped my notice until now. The title track is especially beautiful.

So, what's your favorite Jim Hall record - either as the headline artist or part of an ensemble?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the one that really began the change as far as jim's ensemble playing

the jimmy giuffre 3...debut album...a classic!

cheers

User Info Menu

Undercurrent with Bill Evans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the one that really began the change as far as jim's ensemble playing

the jimmy giuffre 3...debut album...a classic!

cheers
    He always spoke with such reverence and appreciation for Giuffre.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The album that initially got me hooked on Jim Hall was the Paul Desmond album "Easy Living".
    I think Jim was a musician/artist first, and a guitarist second.
    When I listen to his playing I don't usually think "what a cool guitar line, how did he play that", I usually just love the pure musicality of it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    The album that initially got me hooked on Jim Hall was the Paul Desmond album "Easy Living".
    I think Jim was a musician/artist first, and a guitarist second.
    When I listen to his playing I don't usually think "what a cool guitar line, how did he play that", I usually just love the pure musicality of it.
    I agree 100%!

So hard to choose! The one that really made me sit up and notice was “Power of Three” with Michel Petrucciani and Wayne Shorter. I distinctly remember the moment I heard “Bimini” as a teenager (sitting in a car in a parking lot) and how baffled/impressed by his rhythmic compositional sense especially in the entirely strummed solo! It was in complete contrast with the high-speed single line stuff that I was hearing from other jazz guitarists.

However, I agree with Neatomic, the first Giuffre 3 album marks a really special change in his ensemble playing that to me serves as a distinct reason why I love his playing so much! Chamber music to the highest degree!

User Info Menu

My favorite is "Jazz Impressions of Japan". If you have not heard it put on your seat belts. Jim and his trio are on fire on the first side of the lp:
    Last edited by curbucci; 12-05-2020 at 11:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    My favorite is "Jazz Impressions of Japan". If you have not heard it put on your seatbelts. Jim and his trio are on fire on the first side of the lp:
    Another one I've never listened to...Thanks much!

User Info Menu

I gotta go with the one he signed for me one night at the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles. "Thank you! Joy & Peace" he said.

Legend.

Happy Birthday Jim Hall - So What's Your Favorite JH Album?-jim-hall-signed-lp-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    Yesterday was Jim Hall's birthday. He would have been 90-years-old. It gave me a good reason to do a bit of Jim Hall-a-thon as I grade end of the semester papers. I keep discovering his own recordings as well as duet/ensemble albums he played on. My newest find that I've had on loop is, It's Nice to be With You: Live in Berlin with Jimmy Woode & Daniel Humair. Somehow, this one escaped my notice until now. The title track is especially beautiful.

So, what's your favorite Jim Hall record - either as the headline artist or part of an ensemble?
    My favorite Jim Hall album is my favorite jazz album.

More accurately, it's a Paul Desmond album, called Glad to Be Unhappy. Subtitle iirc was Torch Songs Sung By Sax.

The guitar work is stunning. It is a masterclass in comping.

I haven't heard a lot of the others that people have mentioned, but I got a bunch of albums that he did with Desmond, Jim Hall live (not my fave) and Concierto De Aranjuez (stunning too).

User Info Menu

Tough one, any of the Desmond quartet recordings, though I also like his debut as a leader on Pacific Jazz "Jazz Guitar"
    Honorable mention his appearance on Bill Perkins/John Lewis "Grand Encounter 2 Degrees East 3 Degrees West" also on Pacific Jazz

User Info Menu

Difficult choice! All the albums listed above are lovely. Here's one of my favs, a live NYC outing:

User Info Menu

"By arrangement" is absolutely LUSH

Always been my favorite

User Info Menu

You mean besides "These Rooms" with Tom Harrell? I'm not sure ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I gotta go with the one he signed for me one night at the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles. "Thank you! Joy & Peace" he said.

Legend.

Happy Birthday Jim Hall - So What's Your Favorite JH Album?-jim-hall-signed-lp-png
    Yep! This one for me too. The entire box set from this week of concerts is equally incredible.

User Info Menu

Here is my selection: Concierto

User Info Menu

interesting one from jim...jim hall trio live in tokyo...1976

when hall had some canandian dates, rather than bringing a nyc rhythm section up with him, he got ed bickerts great duo- bassist Don Thompson & drummer Terry Clarke

well, not surprisingly, he liked them so much, he wound up later taking them to japan!

cheers

DaShigsta Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    Yep! This one for me too. The entire box set from this week of concerts is equally incredible.
    Yes... everything with Don Thompson & Terry Clarke is outstanding. So are the two Duo recordings with Bill Evans and the live Duo recording with Bob Brookmeyer !

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaShigsta; 12-06-2020 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    interesting one from jim...jim hall trio live in tokyo...1976

when hall had some canandian dates, rather than bringing a nyc rhythm section up with him, he got ed bickerts great duo- bassist Don Thompson & drummer Terry Clarke

well, not surprisingly, he liked them so much, he wound up later taking them to japan!

cheers

Yes this is another great one!

User Info Menu

The first Jim Hall album I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat

Legend.

This one is my favorite too although I was never fortunate enough to meet him to sign it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Difficult choice! All the albums listed above are lovely. Here's one of my favs, a live NYC outing:

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware of this album. It sounds great! Recorded in 1959 and sounds incredibly fresh to my ears.

Jim Hall, Paul Desmond and the MJQ bassist and drummer, Percy Heath and Connie Kay.