The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

This is jazz guitar gold! Bryant made his rep on the Telecaster but plays a Jazzmaster here ... one of the few times I've heard that guitar in a Jazz context.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

jb with the jm...leo fender respected jimmy bryant...and brought him all his new guitars to check out...jimmy was the one who first broke out the telecaster for leo

cheers

User Info Menu

Sweet!
    Really enjoyed that. Hadn't heard this.
    Herb's my main man.
    Jimmy Bryant, wow!

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bryant was brilliant; I have a couple of compilations of his work with steel guitarist Speedy West. Awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    Jimmy Bryant was brilliant; I have a couple of compilations of his work with steel guitarist Speedy West. Awesome stuff.
    I was good friends with Speedy West Jr. He thanked me on the back of his Used Guitars album. He passed away from lung cancer in his late fifties. I still struggle with evil weed sometimes. Speedys father became a Fender rep and lived in Tulsa later in life. One of my sponsers was Tony Newman the English drummer who played with Jeff Beck on Beckola and the Dead Cowboys with Albert Lee and Buddy Emmons. I got to meet Albert in Nashville and asked him how it was working with Buddy. He said it was intimidating at first but he had come to really enjoy it. Buddy is one of the best jazz steel players in history! The Danny Gatton Buddy Emmons CD Live At The Cellar Door is one the best Redneck jazz albums ever made and the first CD I ever bought. Seeing Danny in Nashville and Little rock were some of the best live guitar shows I have ever seen. Once Vince Gill told me he had a special coming up on public television and asked who I thought he might want use. I said Danny Gatton, Albert Lee and Mike Stern. Tele players. He did chose two of them. Dannys solo on Mystery Train on his public TV show is the best rockabilly I have ever heard. Scotty Anderson is another that I saw at the Nashville Namm Show Fender stage playing with Danny, Brent Mason altogether and Scotty kept up just fine. He is the fastest double stop player I ever heard! Lee Ritenour said He sounded like two Albert Lees at once!HaHa! It was the cool thing in Nashville for guitar players to play steel licks and steel players to play jazz guitar licks. Well I thought I would share some tele talk.

User Info Menu

The original Telemaster, doing it up:

User Info Menu

First time I've heard Herbie playing Steel Guitar Rag.

Not Steel Guitar Rag. I think it might be the old Bob Wills tune, Faded Love?

User Info Menu

bryant's bounce

jim campilongo called it The "Giant Steps" of Country Swing...

cheers

This cut is famous because the engineer gave Jimmy the cut sign through the glass when they were close to the time limit for singles. Instead, Bryant gave him the musical finger and kept playing. Taking his lead, the band hung in too.

User Info Menu

one of the few live clips of jimmy...w speedy

flyin' high

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    This cut is famous because the engineer gave Jimmy the cut sign through the glass when they were close to the time limit for singles. Instead, Bryant gave him the musical finger and kept playing. Taking his lead, the band hung in too.

one of my favorite JB tracks, swingin!

User Info Menu

The cut posted with Jimmy and Herbie is Steel Guitar Rag, with improvisations. It's not even close to Faded Love.

You’re right! I had a brain cramp - and I play steel! Doh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    That stuff is shreddy! LOL. My favorite Bryant is "Country Cabin Jazz", out of print, I think I had to download a copy off one of those bootleg websites.... but it's awesome, it includes "Deep Water", a favorite:

Here's a guy who arranged it for solo guitar, quite brilliant:

User Info Menu

In 58 Bryant was in the "New" Sons of the Pioneers. A band Hugh Farr, and his new, younger, wife put together. They were loaned White w/ matching headstock and anodized guards, Jazzmasters, a matching Pbass and Bassman amps. I knew the guy in the back middle, Warner "Slim" Dossey. Slim left the band in early 59 in Reno and wound up working at Fender from 59-67. He had what is probably the last tweed Bassman amp.

Steve are you from OKC? I never met Speedy Jr but I knew Speedy. I still have that Gill / Lee / Gatton show on VCR tape somewhere. I saw it live and was smart enough to stuff a tape in the VCR. I'm guessing you knew Benny Jr. and Sr.?

Herb Ellis with Country Jazzer Jimmy Bryant-new-sons-w-slim-jpg

User Info Menu

BTW. I have a copy of Country Cabin Jazz, (with Billy Strange on the cover!) a copy of Play Country Guitar with Jimmy Bryant, and another 1 or 2 of the mid 60s LP's he made. Haven't looked for/at them in too many years. Got a 10" copy of 2 Guitars Country Style as well. Autographed to me by Speedy! I do know where that is!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9

That was great. I did like that!