The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He's an amazing player in my view. I don't understand the Garzone approach he's mastered, but I do respect the technique and enjoy listening to it.

User Info Menu

Fun - thanks for posting, Kris!

[Great guy and teacher, too!]

User Info Menu

I've been listening to quite a few things by Chris on YouTube. He's an interesting player. As was mentioned above, I don't have a handle on what makes this this Garzone thing he's talking about different, even when I've listened to his performances with George Garzone. Whatever it is, it obviously made a huge difference to Chris.

Chris's approach to music is interesting from the perspective of the listener experience. Or at least my experience as a listener. A lot of musicians seem like they're reaching out, trying to hook the listener and draw them in. My sense with Chris is he just putting out there when he plays and if you like it great; if you don't, then that's that and everybody moves on. It takes a fair measure of confidence to do that and he seems like a confident player.

Of course, that could be nothing but projection and have nothing to do with how he thinks about it. All opinions like that usually reveal more about the opinionater than about the person being talked about. Just like jazz critics.

And he makes the Strat sound good for jazz.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't claim to analytically understand all that Crocco does, but I like it when I let go of that and approach is as a lay person listener. There is a sense of uncompromising going for broke, not unlike Garzone btw, which I find very appealing.

Now if only he would tour Europe....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I wouldn't claim to analytically understand all that Crocco does, but I like it when I let go of that and approach is as a lay person listener. There is a sense of uncompromising going for broke, not unlike Garzone btw, which I find very appealing.

Now if only he would tour Europe....
    He's done some touring in Italy -- BC, of course (before covid) -- and yes, he's absolutely going for it (like Garzone!).

George has some brief demos, and some new materials on his site, explaining his "triadic-chromatic" approach. Chris is the one who makes this happen on the guitar!