The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Is TWO Raneys.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Shame they didn’t make a record with Jon Raney on piano, you could have had three Raneys!

User Info Menu

By sheer coincidence I just happened to be listening to Stolen Moments on Spotify when this came up. It's an omen

But of what???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    by sheer coincidence i just happened to be listening to stolen moments on spotify when this came up. It's an omen

but of what???
    a raney day!!

User Info Menu

Smokin' record. Wore it out when I was a kid, studying (bass) with Michael Moore.

There is so much to learn from Michael's playing on this record. He is constantly supporting and driving the band, taking risks and challenging himself. And he's so damn good that it sounds like he's coasting in third gear.

And the Raneys, yah. And Mr. Hart. That's doing it.

User Info Menu

a raney day!!
    Oh, it's been raining incessantly where I live. I was going to make all kinds of raney jokes but got distracted :-)

User Info Menu

Not necessarily better, but Two Jims and a Zoot's pretty good too

User Info Menu

I've always liked Zoot Sims for some reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've always liked Zoot Sims for some reason.
    'cause he swings like nobodys business!

User Info Menu

Zoot Sims and Jimmy Rowles - If I'm Lucky is in my top five jazz records.

Meanwhile been playing this one in the car for the last week. Absolutely great:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Albums-Featuring-Brookmeyer-Visits/dp/B0076WI2KK

Cheers
    Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    a raney day!!
    I’ve got a Jimmy Raney album called ‘Here’s that raney day’ and it doesn’t have that tune on it, surprisingly!

Here's That Raney Day - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

haha db..i knew that was comin...father and son..unbeatable!

another great raneys recording on the steeplechase label-duets

cheers

ps- as per zoot...zoot sims and al cohn together were great combination!

User Info Menu

ps- an earlier (1957) pairing of jim hall and jimmy raney...they were close...hall used to let jimmy use his gibson amp for sessions...jim hall wrote raney day

jim hall- I wrote a tune called Raney Day (R-A-N-E-Y) I think it was that date. I said, “Jim would you mind if I use your name on a tune?” And so he said, “How were you thinking of using it? (Laughter) One of his dry remarks.

from-
    Jim Hall – The Raney Legacy

bob brookmeyer- the street swingers....raney day

cheers

User Info Menu

Street Swingers is very underrated. Jimmy did some great stuff with Brookmeyer.

I love when Raney posts pop up here, because then I know what'll I'll be listening to the whole rest of the day.

User Info Menu

Sometime in the 80s Doug Raney and Chet Baker came over to London for a one-off gig, it didn’t get much publicity and I only found out about it a day or so afterwards. I was so annoyed to miss my only chance to see a Raney!

(I did see Chet Baker at Ronnie Scotts once and he was on great form, so at least I caught him.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sometime in the 80s Doug Raney and Chet Baker came over to London for a one-off gig, it didn’t get much publicity and I only found out about it a day or so afterwards. I was so annoyed to miss my only chance to see a Raney!

(I did see Chet Baker at Ronnie Scotts once and he was on great form, so at least I caught him.)
    I live less than 90 minutes from Jimmy Raney's hometown of Louisville, Ky, but wasn't into jazz during them time I could have gone and heard him. Likewise I'm an hour from Cal Collins' hometown but have never heard him either.

Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald came to Lexington Ky just a year or two after I moved here... missed them too.

Missing great players seems to be a thing with me.

User Info Menu

I saw all three Raneys perform live.

I saw Jimmy for an entire night at Zinno in NYC. It was probably the greatest experience I've ever had in my life. As great as his records are, they are nothing compared to actually being there when he was on fire, playing the most inspired, creative, exciting, musical solos I've ever heard. I left the place convinced that JR played modern jazz the best way that it can be played. The only other musician I got that feeling from was seeing Phil Woods live.
    I honestly don't think there will ever be another Raney or Woods.

I saw Jon Raney play live with a trio at a Border's book store concert, and spoke with him about his father afterwards. It was very enlightening.

I saw Doug Raney play live at his Father's Memorial concert at St. Peter's Church. He seemed to be in an angry mood when he gave a short speech.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Missing great players seems to be a thing with me.
    Emily Remler came to the UK once to play at the Bull’s Head in Barnes. A bit of a drive from where I live, but not too bad. However I was supposed to be doing some not very important thing that day, so I gave it a miss but thought no problem, she’s young, I’ll catch her next time.

Of course there was no next time...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

i never saw chet or jimmy raney but i followed doug around for a week in the 90s. his bassplayer (koos serierse RIP) took me under his wing and to all the gigs when doug played in holland with dave pike. and i was even allowed to tape the gigs. good times.
    Last edited by djg; 11-25-2020 at 08:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i never saw chet or jimmy raney but i followed doug around for a week in the 90s. his bassplayer took me under his wing and to all the gigs when doug played in holland with dave pike. and i was even allowed to tape the gigs. good times.
    Show off your tapes pleeeease.

This album pointed out by DP decided me to dive into jazz guitar in the mid 80s. It is so good in every sense. I know by heart both Raineys’ solos on I Should Care. And Mike Moore and Billy Hart are a dream of rhythm section.

You guys where lucky to see these monstrous players on stage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Show off your tapes pleeeease.

This album pointed out by DP decided me to dive into jazz guitar in the mid 80s. It is so good in every sense. I know by heart both Raineys’ solos on I Should Care. And Mike Moore and Billy Hart are a dream of rhythm section.

You guys where lucky to see these monstrous players on stage.
    yeah, i'll have to digitize these tapes eventually.

in the meantime here is a nice rare recording:

these recordings are also not very well known:

User Info Menu

Another track from the album in the original post, this one has some nice ‘collective improvising’ by both Raneys at the beginning.