The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

If there is such thing as the greatest jazz guitar player of all time I, for the life of me, can't even begin to imagine anyone better than Hank Garland. I've been listening to this guy for 50+ years and he never fails to make my head wagging muscles cramp. He's simply gifted beyond belief. That is all.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

been extolling hank around here for long while..great player

was huge influence on george benson and jimmy bruno!

cheers

I saw that movie. It was a good'n. Thanks for the link!

User Info Menu

also

cheers

User Info Menu

Someone had about 2 sets of Garland live at the Carousel Club in Nashville on YouTube several years back and now it's gone. I didn't know how to download and save and I sure wish I had known as it was fantastic. And I love After The Riot At Newport album, I've listened to it so many times. I was amazed at how good Boots and Floyd played, I never knew they went in that direction. But yes few if any excelled in multiple genres as Garland could.

User Info Menu

Just finished Gary Burton's book, Hank was instrumental in getting Burton signed to RCA and helping him move to Nashville and introducing him around as a teen, resulting in Hank's famous Jazz Winds lp.

User Info Menu

hank g @ carousel...bits

cheers

User Info Menu

tks and best I remember the sets I heard were a 3 piece, Hank, drums and upright. I thought I had read that Boots was so impressed and responsible for bringing Burton to Nashville to meet Hank

User Info Menu

Boots was also instrumental as well as Chet Atkins.

User Info Menu

hank playing a byrdland with his trio (Boyce Hawkins on piano, Grady Martin on bass) at the Carousel Club in Nashville, 1959.

cheers

User Info Menu

Hank had secondary skill sets most jazz guitarists don't have ... he played hard core country music and was also a studio ace - a job where you have to deliver creatively while the meter is running, often, on material you are hearing for the first time. All this "back story" definitely informed his terrific jazz playing.

User Info Menu

ps- here's link to 18 vid playlist from hank @ carousel

(including 2 vids i posted ^)

Hank Garland Anthology, Vol. 2 - YouTube

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-10-2020 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    I saw that movie. It was a good'n. Thanks for the link!
    Indeed! Pretty cool that you can watch the full movie for free... there's more good music in the opening 2 minutes of this flick than in the entirety of most pop albums. Anybody know who did the studio guitar work?

SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Anybody know who did the studio guitar work?
    Dean Parks and Larry Koonse, per the credits at the end. GREAT playing, stays true to Hank's style while still adding a little of their own flair. Not everything is credited individually, so I'm not sure who played ATTYA in the scene that depicts the recording of Jazz Winds, or who played Move in the club scene following that, but they are standouts. Koonse's take on Angel Eyes is super-nice; that one did get an individual credit.

What a great flick. Unfortunately, everything I've read about Garland totally skipped the suspicious circumstances of the car accident and the heartbreaking details of his later years.

BTW it's on Amazon Prime for free too. Highly recommend it. Thanks again for the headsup on that, brad4d8!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hank playing a byrdland with his trio (Boyce Hawkins on piano, Grady Martin on bass) at the Carousel Club in Nashville, 1959.

cheers
    great pic too!

User Info Menu

I learned by the time I was a late teen that being a professional musician can be a very hard life. I was lucky enough to see the wear and tear on my older partners and was told by those on the club circuits. It's not for the meek. But a few carry it off with brilliance and push the envelope.

I have recommended to my kids that if they want to do professional art at the highest level, take up painting, graphics or writing. Don't go on the road or be dependent on night work. Driven artists are not prone to taking advice.

Hank burned out too quickly like so many others.