The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Always look forward to a new Leduc transcription. Listening blind I would never have suspected this is Coryell. I'm hot and cold with LC, but he really shined with this straight ahead playing. Nicely crafted solo. I hear a lot of Wes here, and I'm sure that you folks with a better appreciation for the jazz guitar canon can put names to some of the other influences which I can't exactly place.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Always look forward to a new Leduc transcription. Listening blind I would never have suspected this is Coryell. I'm hot and cold with LC, but he really shined with this straight ahead playing. Nicely crafted solo. I hear a lot of Wes here, and I'm sure that you folks with a better appreciation for the jazz guitar canon can put names to some of the other influences which I can't exactly place.
    Thanks for posting this. It is one of my favorite recording by Coryell. Coryell made Together with Emily Remler in 1985 and maybe she influenced his playing. (all I know is that I prefer what he ended up doing after their encounter more so than what he was doing before).

I saw Larry live about 5 times. Once when I was a teen, back in the early 70s, but Larry was too-high for that gig, and was rather sloppy. I saw him in 2003 with organist Jimmy Smith (one of his final shows), and Larry was in fine form. I.e. just as solid as any of the jazz guitar greats I had come to love.

User Info Menu

I'm getting old. He looks like such a kid to me in that photo. Wish I could've had a Super4 when I was 13 :-)

He does indeed sound great. I hear something else beyond Wes as well. The longer 16th note lines. Maybe Raney. Maybe it's Larry! Somewhere around 4:40 I hear a bit of Martino.

User Info Menu

That recording is great. It’s from a 1998 album.
    Monk, Trane, Miles & Me - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I don't want to spoil the party, but releasing this song in 1998, is more of a looking back than being fresh or origininal.

I have one by Coryell album on wich Lary is playing and that one is much more refreshing than this one form '98:

User Info Menu

Nice song. Modern yet classic. What some of us would aspire to, I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I don't want to spoil the party, but releasing this song in 1998, is more of a looking back than being fresh or origininal.

I have one by Coryell album on wich Lary is playing and that one is much more refreshing than this one form '98:

I don't see how your comment is related to "the party" (thus nothing to spoil); The OP said this about Coryell's take on Alone Together: "he really shined with this straight ahead playing. Nicely crafted solo.".

The album you referenced was released a year before (1997). That album is more in line with the overall style of jazz guitar Coryell was known for.

To me the point would be that Coryell was versatile and that those that assumed he could only play jazz fusion (for lack of a better label), and favor straight ahead playing, should check out the album Monk, Trane, Miles & Me (as well as much of what he was doing in the 21st century).