The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    I bought fairly obscure Chet Baker album called Mr B which has turned out to be rather lovely. I was surprised to find to find him tackling Herbie Hancock's impressionist masterpiece Dolphin Dance. I maybe wrong but this seems a rather more daring song choice than Chet's usual repertoire and is notorious for it's ambiguous harmony.

What do you think of Chet's playing on this ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have that album, Chet plays quite well on it. I don’t think it really matters what tune he plays, it’s always melodic and fresh-sounding.

From what I have read, I believe some of the younger players he worked with persuaded him to play more adventurous tunes occasionally, for example they got him to do the odd Wayne Shorter tune. Check him out playing E.S.P. for example - Chet probably didn’t even care what the changes were, he would have done this entirely by ear I am sure:

User Info Menu

i like it...i'm a big chet fan..listen to him all the time

with that later period chet, his beautiful melodic sense and tone often walks a tightrope with somewhat loose intonation or missteps...it can be very exciting to hear him fighting to stay right

in the ops instance ^ , he plays his notes short and tight..maybe not his sweetest toned, but his technique is solid...tho i might miss that tight rope just a tad! hah

mr.b is generally considered one of his strong later works

herb alpert on chet

cheers

User Info Menu

His tone is wonderful. And his phrasing...the spaces between the notes...

I’m not a trumpet genius—sounds kind of flugelhornish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I have that album, Chet plays quite well on it. I don’t think it really matters what tune he plays, it’s always melodic and fresh-sounding.

From what I have read, I believe some of the younger players he worked with persuaded him to play more adventurous tunes occasionally, for example they got him to do the odd Wayne Shorter tune. Check him out playing E.S.P. for example - Chet probably didn’t even care what the changes were, he would have done this entirely by ear I am sure:

]

I have never heard of this album or his take on ESP, thanks very much! I have been on a later Chet kick recently and pretty much all the albums I have found are interesting. I think that while Chet's story is often told as a tragedy (and of course he caused a lot of pain to others) artistically his 80s work is far from the work of a shattered or spent individual. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i like it...i'm a big chet fan..listen to him all the time

with that later period chet, his beautiful melodic sense and tone often walks a tightrope with somewhat loose intonation or missteps...it can be very exciting to hear him fighting to stay right

in the ops instance ^ , he plays his notes short and tight..maybe not his sweetest toned, but his technique is solid...tho i might miss that tight rope just a tad! hah

mr.b is generally considered one of his strong later works

herb alpert on chet

cheers
    Thanks for the video, very interesting. I went from being intimidated by the legend of Chet's supernatural ear to finding it amazingly inspiring. I am the total opposite, I am far from a natural musician and only play for myself as a later life challenge with no pretence of being more than an amateur. I went through the usual beginners mistakes, which a few months on this forum helped correct, and I remember learning that Chet and some other jazz greats played pretty much by ear and focused on the melody. This changed my approach and allowed me to finally flow through changes and take chances much more freely. To hear Chet tackle very challenging material like this really opened my ears to getting to the heart of a song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babaluma
    ]

I have never heard of this album or his take on ESP, thanks very much! I have been on a later Chet kick recently and pretty much all the albums I have found are interesting. I think that while Chet's story is often told as a tragedy (and of course he caused a lot of pain to others) artistically his 80s work is far from the work of a shattered or spent individual. Thanks for the link!
    I agree. Of course his life had sordid and tragic elements. But what an artist.

I will turn the age at which he died this year. I think I’ve had a full life, and so did he. He accomplished so much in his time on earth.

The only real tragedies in my opinion are the ones where the art gets stunted...the cases where the artist gives up and stops working. Syd Barrett and Sly Stone come to mind.

User Info Menu

Here’s Chet on a Richie Beirach tune:

User Info Menu

A great tune by Enrico Pieranunzi:

User Info Menu

A couple of books I have read quote people who played with Chet saying that when playing these unfamiliar tunes, he only had to hear them once, then be given the first note of the melody on the piano, then he could play them. He wasn’t the slightest bit interested in what key it was in, or what the ‘names’ of the chord changes were, he just didn’t operate like that.

Also he would often start his phrases on the second beat, that gave him time to hear the sound of the chord change on the first beat, which was all he needed.

I admire his approach, wish I could emulate it.

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    I bought fairly obscure Chet Baker album called Mr B which has turned out to be rather lovely. I was surprised to find to find him tackling Herbie Hancock's impressionist masterpiece Dolphin Dance. I maybe wrong but this seems a rather more daring song choice than Chet's usual repertoire and is notorious for it's ambiguous harmony.

What do you think of Chet's playing on this ?

I purchased this album a few decades ago because Philip Catherine was listed on the cover. I was hoping it might be like some of the Doug Raney \ Chet Baker Steeplechase albums I had and loved. I was deeply disappointed since Catherine isn't even on most of the cuts.

I haven't listen to it forever, so maybe I should find it and give it another spin.

User Info Menu

Chet has big ears. He can play anything he put his mind to.

User Info Menu

some nice playing from chet in '79...quartet with fellow ex-pat pianist duke jordan (who played with bird, getz, etc etc)...and the always great nhop on bass

chet baker quartet- no problem

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I purchased this album a few decades ago because Philip Catherine was listed on the cover. I was hoping it might be like some of the Doug Raney \ Chet Baker Steeplechase albums I had and loved. I was deeply disappointed since Catherine isn't even on most of the cuts.

I haven't listen to it forever, so maybe I should find it and give it another spin.
    I have been listening to Chet's Choice which features Catherine on all the cuts, brilliant album!

User Info Menu

Hi, B,
    Love Chet! However, I don't consider "Dolphin Dance" "impressionistic" a la compositions by Archie Shepp, Roland Kirk, Ornette Coleman, Anthony Braxton, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, etc. Chet was a lyrical player and always paid close attention to the melody. He was a consummate musician and a creative improvisor and nothing escaped his chops. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I have been listening to Chet's Choice which features Catherine on all the cuts, brilliant album!
    Thanks for the tip. Chet with just guitar and bass. My kind of album.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, B,
    Love Chet! However, I don't consider "Dolphin Dance" "impressionistic" a la compositions by Archie Shepp, Roland Kirk, Ornette Coleman, Anthony Braxton, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, etc. Chet was a lyrical player and always paid close attention to the melody. He was a consummate musician and a creative improvisor and nothing escaped his chops. Play live . . . Marinero
    Yes it is a much more melodic and lyrical piece than the other players you mention are known for. However I see the Maiden Voyage album as influenced by Debussy and Ravel so I was thinking of a sort of classical impressionism.