The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I used to own some large plastic disks of his many moons ago, and have been revisiting him lately. Really digging In 'N Out and Inner Urge at the moment. His massive discography is a little overwhelming though. I'm wondering what some of the forum's favourites might be. Help me navigate please. TIA!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Apart from the early Blue Note albums, The Kicker and Tetragon on Milestone are excellent as are the live albums from that same period, At The Lighthouse and In Japan. Other great live sets are the two released as Four and Straight No Chaser on Verve, The Standard Joe on Red and The State of the Tenor I & II on Blue Note.

Mirror, Mirror on MPS is another fine effort. All the late Verve albums are solid with the Miles tribute, So Near, So Far being the standout. Sco's comping throughout is brilliant. Speaking of guitar players and tributes, Jesse van Ruller's guitar trio album dedicated to JH, Phantom is a killer record.

User Info Menu

"Black Narcissus" is a tremendous tune and it lays pretty easy on guitar.

User Info Menu

As a sideman try Grant Green's Solid, Idle Moments, Blue Mitchell's Step Lightly, Bobby Hutcherson's The Kicker (Joe's composition) and of course Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder

User Info Menu

fave joe henderson... was just listenng to it yesterday!!!

elements

with the great alice coltrane...

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Bonus: I've got some new (to me) Bobby Hutcherson to listen to.

User Info Menu

fave henderson sideman session

andrew hill- point of departure

classic line-up ala dolphys- out to lunch

Andrew Hill: piano
    Kenny Dorham: trumpet
    Eric Dolphy: alto sax, flute, bass clarinet
    Joe Henderson: tenor saxophone
    Richard Davis: bass
    Tony Williams: drums

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Thanks guys! Bonus: I've got some new (to me) Bobby Hutcherson to listen to.
    lucky you...bobby hutcherson was probably the premier modernist vibes and marimba player in jazz

a super fave of mine!

cheers

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Joe is on some great Horace Silver albums, e.g. Song for My Father and Cape Verdean Blues.

He also did a nice Billy Strayhorn album:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I used to own some large plastic disks of his many moons ago, and have been revisiting him lately. Really digging In 'N Out and Inner Urge at the moment. His massive discography is a little overwhelming though. I'm wondering what some of the forum's favourites might be. Help me navigate please. TIA!
    Nice!! In n Out and Inner Urge (one of my fav tunes to play/blow over!) are killer! I might also suggest:

Mode for Joe
    Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues
    Grant Green - Idle Moments
    Larry Young - UNITY
    I really like the trio stuff w Ron and Al also!
    I met him 3 times at his shows in Boston and 1x in NYC and never did i meet a more humble, warm cat. Miss him so..

So much Joe!! So few minuteses, precioussss, but is it crunchable hmmm precious??

Between him, Wayne and Trane, Ive got quite a few dup and triplicate vinyl from transcribing when i was at berklee 90-94

Pretty much any album with Joe is a treat, havent heard many i dont dig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yea! Love this intro by Ron Carter! I can envision his 7734567753inch long fingers that wrap around the neck of his upright like 245543 times lolol. Shook his hand - BIGGGGGG hands, XXXXX long finners! Joe Henderson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    "Black Narcissus" is a tremendous tune and it lays pretty easy on guitar.

There is a version he does with altoist Frank Morgan in the early 90s or late 80s, just after he (Frank) got out of prison (heroin :-/) that is SUBLIME. I think its the Frank Morgan All-Stars but i cant remember the album name. Just lovely with Joe and Frank feeding the mellow mysterious and hauntingly beautiful melodic approach in his harmony. Im thinking Bobby Hutcherson too, but i forget the rhythm sectn. Joe Henderson