The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Any good recommendation. Electric bass players with original composotions.

Edit: who play as lead/leader (or at front) of the band, not just for the base.

Im not a fan of slap. Or "piroctecnic" habilities, Im more into melodies.

Edit: add: would like find someone who also play chords on the bass. I dont like funk.

I lknow Pastorious, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clark, Anthony Jackson. Im not a fan of any of this.

No need to be a world famous player.

A link of a record would be good to add as example of their music (better if is studio recording).
    Last edited by man-argentina; 11-01-2020 at 03:39 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Steve Swallow is the musician you're looking for.

He played acoustic bass in the '60s with Paul Bley, Jimmy Giuffre, Art Farmer, Stan Getz and Gary Burton before switching to electric bass at the end of that decade.

Many of his compositions have become modern jazz standards, particularly 'Falling Grace', which has been recorded by Bill Evans, Pat Metheny, Gary Burton and many others.

He's still very active as a player and composer. In recent years his main projects have been John Scofield's trio with Swallow and Bill Stewart, and groups co-led with his partner Carla Bley.

AND he's one of the most melodic soloists in jazz!

User Info Menu

Monk Montgomery (Wes’ brother) played Fender bass.

I believe Bob Cranshaw did too in later years, due to hand problems or something.

User Info Menu

John Patitucci plays mostly electric bass.

User Info Menu

I really like Anders Christensen from the Paul Motian Electric Bebop Band, plays a Ric too...a good bass for jazz.

User Info Menu

And how about Chris Brubeck, apparently his dad was famous

User Info Menu

Hi Rob;
    Some fabulous Electric Bass players there, must agree with you on Anders Christianson's
    Rickenbacker ,sounds great, Steve Swallow, John Patitucci ditto. I confess i haven't heard
    Chris Brubeck before, he had to be good with a father like Dave.

User Info Menu

The last live gig I saw was the Brubeck Brothers early this year. Unfortunately at least one of them contracted covid on that tour (and they are at the age where you don’t want it!). In fact I think Darius was on a ventilator for a while. But I believe they are ok now.

Here’s a post-gig photo of the 3 Brubecks taken by my friend Brian O’Connor. (Dave O’Higgins was on sax.)

Electric bass jazz players ?-bd0e29d6-d8eb-40f9-b533-e909797680c7-jpg

User Info Menu

Another shot of Chris Brubeck playing bass (he also played trombone).

Electric bass jazz players ?-01d7c7be-5baf-4e8e-ae37-6dd1310c8b26-jpg

User Info Menu

Fima Ephron?
    Teymur Phell?

User Info Menu

Just remembered we saw Steve Swallow last year, here’s another shot by Brian:

Electric bass jazz players ?-3c5842a5-3a39-4594-90f1-04af30dd3adb-jpg

User Info Menu

Esperanza Spalding.

Thanks for the recommendations ! Gonma be checking this cats later today.

Namaste ? Stay safe !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Adalberto Cevasco has many compositions. Check him also as soloist wth Lalo Schifrin

User Info Menu

Lucio Nascimento

User Info Menu

The late great Luizao Maia has many compositions of his own. Here backing Tom Jobim and Elis Regina in this historic album. A real master of electric bass

User Info Menu

Jaco, of course, but his style may not be to your liking. "Continuum" is less pyrotechnic than, say, "Teen Town."

+1 on all the other recommendations. You might like Mark Egan too.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Stanley Banks

User Info Menu

Cahit Kutrafali: