The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

It seems that the best left hand in jazz has been silenced forever.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/a...ett-piano.html

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That’s sad. Jarrett is partially paralyzed from 2 strokes he suffered in 2018. Let’s see what happens because Oscar Peterson came back from a stroke in his 80’s and performed concerts afterward. Can he will his body and does he have the will to do it? That’s the question. Regardless, he’s had a stellar career.

User Info Menu

I heard this last year. Except I heard he was suffering from onset dementia. Stroke makes more sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I heard this last year. Except I heard he was suffering from onset dementia. Stroke makes more sense.
    Yes, he has no use of his left hand at this point. Oscar too lost use of his left hand after suffering a stroke, but regained some use. Jarrett is having difficulty with his memory and specifically bop lines, per the nyt article.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Yes, he has no use of his left hand at this point. Oscar too lost use of his left hand after suffering a stroke, but regained some use. Jarrett is having difficulty with his memory and specifically bop lines, per the nyt article.
    I tend to talk too much. That's why I haven't said anything. My source didn't know either but this is what he said he had heard. He's Jarrett's neighbor, not that that means he has any more information than the NYT article. But he had said he heard dementia.

User Info Menu

I posted on the Chat section about this. Sad news indeed.

Each stroke is different. Some people get some return of function, some don't. The longer there is disability the more likely it will be permanent.

I think, knowing Jarrett's personality to some extent, that he may too much of a perfectionist to be content with playing at a limited level. We'll see.

User Info Menu

the more we watch time go by..the less we can see how much is left

User Info Menu

Sad news. Wishing Keith the best. Must be misery to have such talent and lose the ability to wield it.

User Info Menu

Oh, so sorry to hear this. What a great musician.

I just love this, especially the ending:

User Info Menu

Wow so sad. And a great Bach interpreter as well, his Well Tempered Clavier recording kept me going on many a five hour Rt 95 stint.

i remember my Dad saying he didn’t really start to feel his age till his contemporary heroes began to pass.

User Info Menu

And of course Sonny Rollins hasn’t been able to play for years. Also health issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Keith Jarrett have given us tunes like Prism (w/ Jan Garbarek), Innocence, his versions of
    How Long Has This been going on
    my Funny Valentine
    I fall in Love too Easily
    the albums Byablue and the Survivors’ suite.... and so much more.

Sad for the guy, but what on earth could I ever ask for when he already gave us all this beauty? Nevertheless...

Hank Jones stayed in great shape and made hip records, with Joe Lovano, for example, till his dying day. That must be wonderful for an artist and was a treat for us, the listeners.

But, as is the case with Sonny Rollins, he already gave us so much. Even those who died young, like Kenny Kirkland or Wallace Roney, leave such a wonderful legacy behind.

even though I don’t like all his stuff, the things I already like, could last me a lifetime.

his music is a true blessing

User Info Menu

I think it’s ultimately less what they can give to us as much as what the loss of music means to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The estimable Richard Williams recalls an interview with Jarrett from 1970:

"If everything is perfect, if the piano is in tune, if everyone is sitting quiet and expectant and all the audience are Keith Jarrett fans, then I don't feel the need to play. It's the worst possible situation. If the audience know that they like the group, it doesn't matter what you play. It's like someone giving a lecture when the audience knows what he's going to say. That's why I don't play piano when I'm by myself. I couldn't tell myself anything I don't already know. So when I'm alone I play soprano or guitar, and I can still surprise myself on those instruments."