The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now I dig all these guys a lot...jazzy bluesy funktified

Playlist album

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?l...Y7jwN7Y41ociGg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m an official Gene Harris afficionado since I’ve purposefully seen him more times than any other musician. I admit to seeing him 5 times in one week during his former week long stays at Seattle’s Jazz Alley. I’d return every year to see him. I never tired of seeing him. Harris was a one of a kind blues pianist. Great that Ray Brown revived his career when he did. Gene too had a short career dying young after succumbing to kidney failure a month before he was to receive a transplant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I’m an official Gene Harris afficionado since I’ve purposefully seen him more times than any other musician. I admit to seeing him 5 times in one week during his former week long stays at Seattle’s Jazz Alley. I’d return every year to see him. I never tired of seeing him. Harris was a one of a kind blues pianist. Great that Ray Brown revived his career when he did. Gene too had a short career dying young after succumbing to kidney failure a month before he was to receive a transplant.

thks for the info I never got to see any of those guys but they set the bar in that groove which is what I like and like alot

User Info Menu

I used to listen to Gene Harris and Ray Brown constantly. Great entertainment.

User Info Menu

The Three Sounds were extremely popular in their time

User Info Menu

In the late-80s and for about a decade after that, I used to listen to the Ray Brown Trio that featured Harris on piano and Jeff Hamilton on drums. They were very, very good.

User Info Menu

I LOVE the Gene Harris Quartet. I think I have everything they recorded, Bruce Forman always plays great. I also love that Gene does a mix of standards and then also other stuff like Shining Star and Steve Wonder tunes, and always plays his own changes. A really underrated band IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    In the late-80s and for about a decade after that, I used to listen to the Ray Brown Trio that featured Harris on piano and Jeff Hamilton on drums. They were very, very good.
    Gene and Ray had exceptional recordings in both Bam-bam and Summer Wind. My personal favorite was a live recording of Can’t help lovin dat’ man, for Harris’ left hand tremolo with those rolling chords was nothing less than masterful. I’ve never heard anyone who could tremolo through changes the way Harris could. It was one of those signature things that he often did. Listen how at 2:56 Harris holds the audience in the palms of his hands with a blaze of rolling chords. No one ever did that like Harris did. And his rhythmic timing was always impeccable!