The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Studio or live...I saw a tour with Wayne Krantz...some amazing guitar work. But over the years, these guys worked with the best N.Y (Steve Khan also comes to mind) L.A. ( won't even start) Some amazing solos from over the years...Then there's the guys who didn't make the final cut...would love to here some of those outtakes...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorites: Elliott Randall on "Reelin' In The Years" and Larry Carlton on "Kid Charlemagne."

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Skunk Baxter.

Trivia: "Daddy G" is G. Gordon Liddy.

User Info Menu

the correct answer is Drew Zingggggg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    the correct answer is Drew Zingggggg

Oddly, this concert came up as a youtube suggestion last week after I viewed some EVH clip that was posted here, and I gotta say, DZ is indeed layin' it down ... this clip is worth checking out just for the instrumental arrangement of three hits as a segue that opens the show, but you'll stay for all the stellar guitar work that DZ unwinds.

It's kinda cool to see how the band and the arrangements have evolved over the... DECADES!!!... you can't keep doing the arrangement that's on the record for 30 years, ya know? The horn arrangements and other little stylistic surprises in this show are a treat.

As for the "best" SD guitar solos, there are too many options...! I can't think of many that I don't like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    would love to here some of those outtakes...
    Check out "The Making of Aja" for a handful of Peg solos that were rejected, followed by the keeper from Jay Graydon. It was on Amazon Prime recently; IDK if it's still available there now.

User Info Menu

There's no doubt that Larry Carlton's solo on Kid C. is a work of rock perfection, but some people think he also did the solo on "Aja". It was actually done by Denny Dias, and is my fave SD guitar solo.

User Info Menu

Funny that name Elliot Randall comes from nowhere. I wonder why his name doesn't get mentioned much anywhere.
    Regardless ditto a seriously good solo and fun song.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    My favorites: Elliott Randall on "Reelin' In The Years" and Larry Carlton on "Kid Charlemagne."

User Info Menu

Not so long ago, YouTube recommended I watch The Making of Aja, in Japanese.

User Info Menu

Very cool thread. There's so many, but this one by Denny Dias always got me:

And then there's this, an "early mix," where you can hear someone say (maybe Fagen?) just before the solo, "Now let me hear the guitar solo." And then after, "Wow, holy fuck that's great!"

User Info Menu

Did somebody mention 'i got the news'?
    i allways loved that solo. Starts at 2:20, but you can't really enjoy it without listening to the whole song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Oddly, this concert came up as a youtube suggestion last week after I viewed some EVH clip that was posted here, and I gotta say, DZ is indeed layin' it down ...
    He is. Great stuff.

When Walter Becker is introducing the sax players, he introduces a talented Chris Potter! What is it with this band. Everybody wants to play with them.

User Info Menu

So many great guitar solos. Randall's "Reelin'" solo gut-punched me when it came out. I even momentarily thought about putting a humbucker on my Stratocaster...like Elliott's...after I figured out who did the solo and bought the solo album Elliott Randall's New York. (Didn't do it though.)

And, of course, "Kid Charlemagne" was simply superb.

I am in complete agreement with Mark Rhodes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Funny that name Elliot Randall comes from nowhere. I wonder why his name doesn't get mentioned much anywhere.
    I've read the band wanted him to join but he declined. He was busy with studio work. When Elliott was young, he took lessons from Sal Salvador. (Wrote an intro for one of Sal's technique books.) Obviously learned his way around the guitar. Another thing about that solo---it wasn't the first take. The first take was better but there was a problem with the recording, so Elliott had to "do it again."

User Info Menu

Always love Jeff "Skunk" Baxter's solo on "My Old School." (Denny Dias is superb on this cut too.)

User Info Menu

Elliott Randall mostly did studio work. A lot of that was uncredited pop records in the 70s. Then in the 80s he shifted mainly into jingles, and eventually midi and music technology consulting and moved to England. So between there not really being such a thing as the record business anymore and him drifting away from what's left of it his name has become less well known. But for a long time he was as well known as, say, Skunk Baxter, Dean Parks, Waddie Wachtel, Georg Wadenius, etc. He's on a ton of records (and TV commercials), so you've most likely heard his playing a lot without realizing it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd

And then after, "Wow, holy fuck that's great!"
    And it is. This is indeed one of the finest around.

User Info Menu

There albums are full of brilliant guitar work. A couple which imo arent mentioned enough

and the Carlton solo nobody mention

User Info Menu

Average Joe, I just copied the link to post Third World Man and then saw your post... Good choice.

User Info Menu

Always loved this bluesy take---was this Larry Carlton's first appearance on an SD record?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Very cool thread. There's so many, but this one by Denny Dias always got me:

And then there's this, an "early mix," where you can hear someone say (maybe Fagen?) just before the solo, "Now let me hear the guitar solo." And then after, "Wow, holy fuck that's great!"

That's a good song, but it's one of the the few SD songs where the guitar solo was better than the song.
    I mentioned in another thread that DD studied with Billy Bauer, and was probably the only true jazz guitarist SD used.He went on to play with some actual jazz musicians, and then became a software engineer.
    I think he played with Gene Harris.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    And it is. This is indeed one of the finest around.
    I'm not sure, but I think it sounded like Becker saying that. I could be wrong...

User Info Menu

I was listening to Dias' "Do It Again" sitar solo yesterday and thinking 'the only person I can imagine playing an organ solo after that and not looking pale in comparison is John Medeski.' I like Fagen's organ solo--it's embedded deep into my brain and is kind of musical comfort food to me, but Dias' solo is so funky/nasty and in a way seems to look forward to some of the "downtown" music of the 1990s and beyond.

User Info Menu

He is everywhere. He is funny. I know him on Facebook.

He had a band, Randall’s Island: