The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have his CD Hurricane I got I believe back in the 1980's. I really have not heard of him since to any degree. He is monster player based on the CD but the recording while fine is not so much my cup of tea. I keep thinking of players from awhile back that pop up but then you don't hear much. Joshua Breakstone is another one too, even Mark Elf. Elf has always gotten publicity but not much talk here on the forum. Any insights on them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not familiar with Rory Stewart (although his namesake is a politician here in the UK!).
    A search of Google and Discogs doesn't reveal anything.
    Can you tell us more about him? I'm always interesting in checking out players I'm not familiar with.

Joshua Breakstone has been based in Japan for some time, which may account for his reduced profile in the US. He is still very active as a player. Check out his website at http://www.joshuabreakstone.com

Mark Elf is out there on the NYC scene. He's got into the video lesson subscription game at https://www.markelfguitarconservatory.com

Your google does not work.
    Rory Stuart - Wikipedia

Speaking of Rory I was going to mention The Incredible Rory Hoffman he is blind but man can he play!!! There are some material on him with Jack Pearson another really Great player! I think an invention that would be doable and really useful would be a electronic guitar tuner for the blind!! Maybe something that has asound for sharp and another one for flat and another one for in tune! George Shearing really showed what the blind can do for jazz piano. Jose Feliciano and the Canadian guitarist who was in Road House. The guitarist with Brian Auger lost his sight at the end of his career. Teaching blind people music I think would be a good thing for all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Your google does not work.
    Rory Stuart - Wikipedia
    Ah, that's because the OP wrote Rory Stewart!

Looks like he has quite the career as a teacher at the New School.

User Info Menu

I studied with Rory at the New School many years ago and we've kept in occasional touch since. He's a fantastic player and he has a fairly new recording, "So Rise Up".

Rory teaches rhythmic studies at the new school and earlier this year he published a set of books based on the subject: The Rhythm Book | Master rhythms! . I have them all and they are really great.

Rory is a really interesting guy with a lot of varied interests, I think at some point he taught an artificial intelligence course at NYU(!).