The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31
    As far as changing music forever though not just tone I would think BB Kings 355. The room 335 Larry Carlton Album. Most working guitar players when I grew up had Gibson Stereo or 355 and a Super Reverb. On the back of Hang on Sloopy The Mccoys with Rick Derringer had a 355 and a Super Reverb. When I was a teenager Isaw Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels and their guitar player had a Gibson Byrdland and a twin Reverb, which Ted Nugent also had , so I guess in Detroit a Byrdland and a twin were the thing. Was there a certain choice in your area that your local heroes played when you were starting out? I guess a Gibson guitar and a Fender amp stands the test of time. When I was really little I got to see Les Paul and Mary Ford at the Livestock Show and could not figure out the layers of sound. I also saw Roy Clark who Pat Matheny recently thanked on his website for giving him a start at the Starlight theater in KC.MO. The first jazz guys I saw used Gibson L5 or Super 400 with Standel amp sometimes. So what did your local influencers get you to start with is my question?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I know Mike Moreno used to play a 335, and he recorded his first album, "Between the Lines," and I also believe "Third Wish" with that guitar.

User Info Menu

It's not exactly a 335, but I know Ben Monder uses a beautiful Ibanez AS-50, which I think you can listen to in almost all his recordings as a leader and sideman.

Favorite 335 Jazz Albums-benmonder_creditjohnrogers-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by uschmidtguitar
    I know Mike Moreno used to play a 335, and he recorded his first album, "Between the Lines," and I also believe "Third Wish" with that guitar.

Those are great records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankl99
    It's not exactly a 335, but I know Ben Monder uses a beautiful Ibanez AS-50, which I think you can listen to in almost all his recordings as a leader and sideman.

Favorite 335 Jazz Albums-benmonder_creditjohnrogers-jpg
    Those very early 80's Ibanezes were all really high quality; the differences between the 200, 150, 100, and 50 were basically 'bling' differences. They were all made by the same folks in the same shop.

User Info Menu

I have some records Ryo Kawasaki made with Joanne Brackeen in the 70s where he played a 335