The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Reading Stanley Crouch’s chapter in Considering Genius got me listening to Ahmad Jamal’s Piano Scene album, which in turn got me wondering why no-one ever mentions Ray Crawford — what a great small-ensemble guitarist!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Crawford was different than most jazz guitarists, because he had already had a career as a sax player before he shifted to guitar. I've got his "Smooth Groove" CD. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Crawford was different than most jazz guitarists, because he had already had a career as a sax player before he shifted to guitar. I've got his "Smooth Groove" CD. Great stuff.
    Yes, he said in an interview that he gave up sax and clarinet while in a TB sanitarium and after hearing Bird; took up guitar at that point but still thought the woodwinds more expressive years later.

User Info Menu

Ray is one of my absolute favorite players. I hold his small group playing with Jamal as the absolute gold standard in making perfect short statements, something I aspire to do.

And he did the bongo trick better than Herb Ellis.

Here's a little tribute to that I made a while back.

User Info Menu

nice mr. b...check out the great scotty moore

guitar percussion circa july '54...rodgers & hart tune...influence was supposedly billy eckstines 1948 version

scotty gear (L-5) and legend

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice mr. b...check out the great scotty moore

guitar percussion circa july '54...rodgers & hart tune...influence was supposedly billy eckstines 1948 version

scotty gear (L-5) and legend

cheers
    That's really good. Never got into Elvis. Actually kind of loathe Elvis. But this is mind changing.

Speaking of guitar percussion...

User Info Menu

it's not at all about elvis...it's about scotty moore!!! the guitarist!!! he was great!...he and the rhythm section made all that stuff up..elvis (& sam) picked material (genius) but then just sang on top of what scotty & co laid down...scotty says as much in interview linked ^

cheers

ps- johnny cashs singular guitarist- luther perkins- wished he was scotty!! hah

& i love luther..heavy flats on fender esquire and then jazzmaster...his whole short career..

cheers

User Info Menu

I’ve always admired Crawford’s playing on the early Ahmad Jamal recordings. His interplay with piano and use of the bongo effect were really interesting. I found one or two CDs after he left Jamal and didn’t find them as interesting. I guess he was better suited to comping and short solos as a sideman than as a bandleader.

User Info Menu

I'm a Luther Perkins certified nut...done gigs where I had to learn his parts exactly...which actually is really weird! I know I've shared before:

But of course, the beauty of that old "walk the line" recording is Johnny's playing...with a piece of paper tucked in the strings to sound like a drum.

Anyway, going back a little further with guitar as percussion...

But I suppose the idea is really from some unknown Spanish gitane...as old as the 6 string guitar is itself...

User Info Menu

^ and strummin on the ole banjo!

cheers

User Info Menu

If memory serves, Ray Crawford’s playing here:

User Info Menu

Mr Crawford played wonderfully in the Ahmad Jamal Trio. I stumbled on one of the Trio's LPs with him several years ago, and enjoyed. Later, I found this reissue of all the trio (and quintet) recordings with Mr Crawford:

Ahmad Jamal: Trio & Quintet Recordings With Ray Crawford album review @ All About Jazz

The interview (below) with Ray Crawford is quite interesting. I'm stunned that a reed player with enough skills and talent to play with Fletcher Henderson's band, and then had to abandon his instrument due to TB, picked up guitar at that late age, and became proficient for a professional career as a guitarist.

The Coda interview with Ray Crawford | 1980 – Mark Weber

Thanks for bringing his name up.

[QUOTE=mr. beaumont;1063274]That's really good. Never got into Elvis. Actually kind of loathe Elvis. But this is mind changing.

Speaking of guitar percussion...I did a show with an Elvis impersonater but we had the real Jordanaires the kings first backup singers. I had to learn the show in a hurry and did not know it all. On some tunes some of the Jordanaires gave me the Nashville number system with their fingers! They are some of the first to have introduced this to early Nashville is what I have heard. They gave me these signals behind their back. They were really pros and it was fun to work with them!

The best Rockabilly I have ever heard is Danny Gattons solo on Mystery Train on Austin City Limits . Brian Stray Cats Big Band is SMOKIN

User Info Menu

Lately I'm into Ray Crawford's percussion guitar playing on those Ahmad Jamal recordings, as well as what Scotty Moore did on "Blue Moon" with Elvis.
    I'm also into old German archtops. In German they are called Schaggittarre, which translates as "percussion guitar" and today I finally made the connection. I can be slow sometimes.
    that's all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    Lately I'm into Ray Crawford's percussion guitar playing on those Ahmad Jamal recordings, as well as what Scotty Moore did on "Blue Moon" with Elvis.
    I'm also into old German archtops. In German they are called Schaggittarre, which translates as "percussion guitar" and today I finally made the connection. I can be slow sometimes.
    that's all.
    “Schlaggitarre” is the old German word for Archtop. I comes from the verb “schlagen” (to hit, to strike) — I would rather say it comes from striking (hitting? Which one is better in English?) chords with the pick in jazz and relative genres (instead of fingerpicking polyphonic stuff in classical music) and would not translate it as “percussion guitar”.

Grüße aus München

PS: In the beginning they would even hold the guitar like in classical

Ray Crawford-schäfer-000-jpg
    (from Erich Schäfer, “Schule für Schlag-Gitarre”)

User Info Menu

Schlagen means strum in this case, sometimes even pluck - Lauten (Lutes) wurden geschlagen and I‘m sure they didn’t use a pick on a regular basis. I have some early 20 century sheet music for vocal with guitar or lute accompaniment that is definitely plucked with the fingers.

Anschlag is the act of plucking the string, regardless of medium.

Now back on topic!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk