The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 168

User Info Menu

Not the band. The player, Spanish Fly is an interesting take. He's an amazing guitar player whatever you think of the band.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

He's actually one of the best rhythm players around.

I think I read somewhere he was a huge Holdsworth fan and supporter...

User Info Menu

he was dutch...moved to usa...his father was old school...he was into band- focus...they were dutch... and had usa hit with song named-hocus pocus...jan akkerman was their guitar player...he was good!...had jazzy roots...did a song called eruption!!!! sound familiar to evh fans?

evh was great for what he was, but he burned relatively quickly...sad

inspired so many players tho..so good for him... blessings

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    He's actually one of the best rhythm players around.
    Yes, that's what I always say too! Very tight, but organic rhythm feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    They were friends too. And on some songs I can here the influence a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    he was dutch...moved to usa...his father was old school...he was into band- focus...they were dutch... and had usa hit with song named-hocus pocus...jan akkerman was their guitar player...he was good!...had jazzy roots...did a song called eruption!!!! sound familiar to evh fans?

evh was great for what he was, but he burned relatively quickly...sad

inspired so many players tho..so good for him... blessings

cheers
    I dont think he burned. I never heard a bad sound from him. He never 'evolved' into something else maybe, but I never thought it's necessarily a good thing to change your style or experiment too much. Or maybe you mean his lifestyle?

User Info Menu

Not the band. The player, Spanish Fly is an interesting take. He's an amazing guitar player whatever you think of the band.
    I think the band is one of the all time best, and when they emerged on the scene, it canceled all the soft rock that US produced before. Finally real rock was not only from UK.

User Info Menu

Eddie got Allan a contract at Warner’s. It didn’t work out for Allan but he was forever grateful to Eddie for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I dont think he burned. I never heard a bad sound from him. He never 'evolved' into something else maybe, but I never thought it's necessarily a good thing to change your style or experiment too much. Or maybe you mean his lifestyle?
    hey, hep...no i cldnt give ^&*# about his lifestyle.....but he never went beyond the early albums...back then, one was always hoping that somebody would somehow break through...keep taking the guitar further...to another undreamed level....

now i understand it all comes in slow moving waves...but as a kid it was terribly exciting

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hey, hep...no i cldnt give ^&*# about his lifestyle.....but he never went beyond the early albums...back then, one was always hoping that somebody would somehow break through...keep taking the guitar further...to another undreamed level....

now i understand it all comes in slow moving waves...but as a kid it was terribly exciting

cheers
    Yea, thats what I thought... But Eddie himself said he never pushed for a change, thats just the way he play, and that's it. I personally think it's better to find your niche and stick to it. His tone did change over the years though... But 'take it to another level' rarely works in rocknroll, you lose fans. My favorite bands those that never changed.

User Info Menu

I'm sure it's been shared here before, but here's Van Halen with their dad on clarinet, doing trad jazz thingy. That seals the deal for me, Ed is the king!

User Info Menu

I'll never forgive him for ruining guitar stores, with that kid (whatever town you are in) twiddling away with both hands on the fretboard, desperately looking for approval.

Only kidding. He certainly got kids back into guitar at a time when the synth was killing it off. But I have to admit the only time a I really listened to him was in MJ's Beat It. Incredible.

User Info Menu

Focus, on the other hand. They were HUGE in the UK for a while. And Jan played the lute too. Win, win!

User Info Menu

They talk about him constantly on the rock guitar forums. They consider him to be a great innovator and the most important guitarist of his time, perhaps the last great rock player. He had a ‘brown sound’, which they try to emulate.

Whether or not he deserves these accolades, he brought a lot of listeners to Holdsworth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I'm sure it's been shared here before, but here's Van Halen with their dad on clarinet, doing trad jazz thingy. That seals the deal for me, Ed is the king!
    He’s in, errr, good company

(if you ever need one tune to demonstrate the musicianship and creativity of Brian May....clarinet and trombone tailgates on electric guitar?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    They talk about him constantly on the rock guitar forums. They consider him to be a great innovator and the most important guitarist of his time, perhaps the last great rock player. He had a ‘brown sound’, which they try to emulate.

Whether or not he deserves these accolades, he brought a lot of listeners to Holdsworth.
    EVH kind of passed me by. The guitar soloist I liked to listen to most before I learned guitar was Mark Knopfler (I still think he’s great) so he’s my 80s guitar dude.

By the time I picked up the guitar, I think I was aware of the next gen of players influenced by him, Nuno Bettencourt was big (another terrific rhythm player incidentally) and metal players like Kirk Hammett and Marty Friedman but mostly I was interested in the big 60s players. I didn’t listen to 80’s radio rock (it was out of fashion) so by the time I was aware of him as a player I’d already heard Holdsworth. So it’s interesting hearing how EVH adapted some of those sounds to the rock sphere; for instance that stretch legato thing.

In the end I have to say I think he was really a sonic player, not a ‘technical’ or systematic, organised and virtuoso player like Vai. Vai or Satriani could play you anything, but Eddie had his ears and his bag of crazy tricks built on really a blues rock sensibility. He’s pretty rock and roll.

Also the thing about the first two records is how focussed on the songs and sounding like a band they are. The guitar playing is actually pretty restrained and serves that goal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    EVH kind of passed me by. The guitar soloist I liked to listen to most before I learned guitar was Mark Knopfler (I still think he’s great) so he’s my 80s guitar dude.

By the time I picked up the guitar, I think I was aware of the next gen of players influenced by him, Nuno Bettencourt was big (another terrific rhythm player incidentally) and metal players like Kirk Hammett and Marty Friedman but mostly I was interested in the big 60s players. I didn’t listen to 80’s radio rock (it was out of fashion) so by the time I was aware of him as a player I’d already heard Holdsworth. So it’s interesting hearing how EVH adapted some of those sounds to the rock sphere; for instance that stretch legato thing.

In the end I have to say I think he was really a sonic player, not a ‘technical’ or systematic, organised and virtuoso player like Vai. Vai or Satriani could play you anything, but Eddie had his ears and his bag of crazy tricks built on really a blues rock sensibility. He’s pretty rock and roll.

Also the thing about the first two records is how focussed on the songs and sounding like a band they are. The guitar playing is actually pretty restrained and serves that goal.
    Yes to that. And that is his strength, although some will say it''s his weakness. But I never found systematic virtuoso players who can do anything too attractive. Vai or Satriani get me tired pretty quickly. I think they are more on a cerebral side of music. Of course Vai on David Lee Roth albums played amazing stuff.

Eddie can only do what he does. In a way, he plays the same solo every song. But it's a great one for sure.

And I remember some critic said Van Halen had chops to play fusion, but they were more interested in getting laid. Sums it up nicely!

User Info Menu

Haha maybe, that’s a funny quote. But I don’t think it’s even that. I don’t think music ever works when players are just doing it for the chicks and money.... there’s always a love for thing itself.

I think EVH genuinely cared about playing songs in a band...

User Info Menu

I find Satch quite straightforward. Tuneful rock instrumental stuff. Quite like it.

Maybe I’ve been listening to wanky jazz for too long...

I remember in an interview with Dweezil Zappa, he was asked about his use of diminished scales. He answered "diminished means less and augmented means more"...

User Info Menu

One of my favorites.

User Info Menu

I remember an interview with EVH by Shaun Baxter (wonder what he’s up to these days?) and he said that he thought Eddie’s experimental approach to music had more in common with Fred Frith and Derek Bailey than Vai... I always thought that was an interesting thing to say.

In rock guitar there’s obviously a spectrum between the sonic, experimental players on one end - Sonic Youth say - and the linear, vocabulary oriented and conventionally musical players on the other, say, Clapton.

People usually associate one end with technique and the other end with anti-technique (usually understood by guitar players as the ability to play FAST) but it seems to me it’s more about attitude and creative process than anything else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I find Satch quite straightforward. Tuneful rock instrumental stuff. Quite like it.

Maybe I’ve been listening to wanky jazz for too long...
    Yeah, but he's lacking that quirky rhythm feel and groove of EVH, at least for me. A little too straightforward. I saw him live. I dont remember much. Basically it was like listening to a record at home.